Piracy Privateer

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I'm actually excited to get back into Crusader and try our 2.6. My Warden feels like a solid choice now, if Arena Commander is any indication.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I am still waiting to hear about the exploits of anyone flying a Vanguard with the big gun on gimbal. As others have said, that probably needs a mouse and keyboard setup, but if you can strafe in a new direction every couple seconds (or whatever the time to strike you is for your opponents weapons) and keep your target under that big gun, I think the Vanguards will all be able to hold their own against even much more nimble fighters like the Hornets and Sabres. And when the Omni XII enters game, a pair of them on the chin of the Vanguard is perfect for self-defense.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Plagueis

Admiral
Dec 3, 2016
RSI Handle
xPlagueisx
I am still waiting to hear about the exploits of anyone flying a Vanguard with the big gun on gimbal. As others have said, that probably needs a mouse and keyboard setup, but if you can strafe in a new direction every couple seconds (or whatever the time to strike you is for your opponents weapons) and keep your target under that big gun, I think the Vanguards will all be able to hold their own against even much more nimble fighters like the Hornets and Sabres. And when the Omni XII enters game, a pair of them on the chin of the Vanguard is perfect for self-defense.
I've been destroying Hornets and Sabres with ease, i do use the keyboard and mouse setup for now. Vanguards are solid as they should be being a larger fighter ship.

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
That is interesting, but all 4 of the Vanguard variants should be able to be equipped with 2 S4 BEHR ballistic cannons and 6 Behring MVSA laser cannons, for a single pip total of 4195 DPS. Vanguard drivers laugh at the wee little Buckies and likes them for breakfast cereal.
Only if CIG stops destroying the turning speed on the Vanguard :(

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I've been destroying Hornets and Sabres with ease, i do use the keyboard and mouse setup for now. Vanguards are solid as they should be being a larger fighter ship.
So are you flying the chin gun on the swivel?

Oh no. How bad is it now?
The thing to do to get an objective sense of how fast it turns, is to find a pair of markers and place the ship so that you will know when you have turned precisely a certain number of degrees.

So for example, if you can place the ship where one recognizable object is dead ahead, and another is exactly on the beam or at 90* from forward, you can then rotate the ship on all three axes (which should give different rates), one at a time, and get the rotation rate on that axis. Divide 90* by the number of seconds it takes to make a powered rotation and you have rotation rate in degrees/second. It would be hugely instructive to be able to compare rotation rates for the Hornet, with the Vanguard. Without this kind of investigation, it would be very difficult to say one is not influenced by the larger size of the ship, what you see out the windscreen, etc.

With the Vanguard, it might be easier to make such a test with a second pilot aboard in the turret.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So are you flying the chin gun on the swivel?

The thing to do to get an objective sense of how fast it turns, is to find a pair of markers and place the ship so that you will know when you have turned precisely a certain number of degrees.

So for example, if you can place the ship where one recognizable object is dead ahead, and another is exactly on the beam or at 90* from forward, you can then rotate the ship on all three axes (which should give different rates), one at a time, and get the rotation rate on that axis. Divide 90* by the number of seconds it takes to make a powered rotation and you have rotation rate in degrees/second. It would be hugely instructive to be able to compare rotation rates for the Hornet, with the Vanguard. Without this kind of investigation, it would be very difficult to say one is not influenced by the larger size of the ship, what you see out the windscreen, etc.

With the Vanguard, it might be easier to make such a test with a second pilot aboard in the turret.
I'll have to test this. Thanks @Shadow Reaper.

Forgot your password?