RiceMaiden's Hangar of Ship Models

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
@Gearen I've failed you :(

If I was any good at 3D modelling I would make and share my own vision of the 300 series as I see it. It's essentially a X85 but bigger and has a hollow but smaller rear, no more enclosed "wing" design but retains the developmental design.

Okay okay I'll make it, you talked me into it.

Also...

How would I go about it?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I would be tempted to build it a little bigger and lighter, and see if you can turn it into an RC aircraft. Looks like ti might be made to actually fly. The top wing is way more elevator than you would need, but the bottom wing is likely enough it could fly. I actually designed, built, flew, and mostly crashed a very similar design about a decade ago.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
I would be tempted to build it a little bigger and lighter, and see if you can turn it into an RC aircraft. Looks like ti might be made to actually fly. The top wing is way more elevator than you would need, but the bottom wing is likely enough it could fly. I actually designed, built, flew, and mostly crashed a very similar design about a decade ago.
please someone do that, it would be so cool.

Reactions: Blind Owl

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
Okay okay I'll make it, you talked me into it.

Also...

How would I go about it?
RSI Website -> Download holoviewer .ctm
Convert .ctm -> .obj using Meshlab
Load .obj in Fusion360. Enjoy!

A few members and I have discussed this in the past. Would be a fun project for sure. I just don't have the experience to pull off an RC plane as I've never built or flown something even half as complex before.

@RiceMaiden Hey where is the polaris already or your 1:1 scale of javelin.
@Gearen is the keeper of the Polarii. Only he can say when I'm allowed to finish it. (it's like 70% done)

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
A few members and I have discussed this in the past. Would be a fun project for sure. I just don't have the experience to pull off an RC plane as I've never built or flown something even half as complex before.
The cheapest way to go is to buy an "RTF" or "Ready To Fly" kit of the proper size, that includes the control transmitter. You only need 3 controls: elevator, aileron and throttle. If you want a forth channel you can add rudder but it is unnecessary for basic flight. The more key issue is that you want a brushless motor and power system able to push hard enough for what you want to fly and for that you get what you pay for. Also note you want a pusher type design. Use a light grey prop and it will disappear when it runs--make it look like no prop.

Since your materials will weigh more than a foamy, probably the thing is buy an RTF that is larger, and put less battery in it than the kit comes with. Something like this should do save that there is no transmitter in the kit (always read these descriptions carefully--lots of kits have no TX.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cessna-182-Red-V2-Ready-To-Fly-Wingspan-39-7-in-1010mm-Brushless-RC-Airplane/112511408138?epid=0&hash=item1a3233d80a:g:ocMAAOSwTQhZhd7P

and though I haven;t investigated it, something that searches under "RC 4CH TX" will give you 4 channels:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-Hobby-King-2-4Ghz-4Ch-Tx-Rx-V2-Mode-2/251620321363?epid=630483630&hash=item3a95bd6853:g:hXEAAOSwrFtaCyGp

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
Since your materials will weigh more than a foamy, probably the thing is buy an RTF that is larger, and put less battery in it than the kit comes with. Something like this should do save that there is no transmitter in the kit (always read these descriptions carefully--lots of kits have no TX.)
While foam would be nice, 3D printing might actually be a good alternative to the complex shapes. A couple companies now are offering the planes/plans/files for sale and they've been exploding in popularity.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Yes, absolutely. Since the Chinese entered the market about 8 years ago, the cost of complete craft has dropped fantastically, and there is a whole range of materials one can purchase planes made from or to make them from. Designs like that Cessna 182 (my father owned the real thing for 30+ years--fun plane!) are usually mostly injection molded plastic that is as thin as film. Very light but needs an internal frame. However, the traditional material for RC hobbyists is balsa and though a little heavier, is really easy to work with and easy to make fly.

The point about lightening the load by using s smaller battery is that the lighter the thing is, the easier it will be to fly, and it will fly at slower speeds, so it's easier to control. For longer flight times you can put the larger battery in after you've practiced. I can tell you, 5 minutes is a long time to control a plane that is moving at high speed, so don't be put off by 3 minute flight times if what that buys you is the things will fly at half the speed and be easier to control.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
BTW, I think you should be able to ad lib a bit. Doesn't this model need a turret in the top, where that circle is? Maybe peeps would want to safe that for things like the Vanguard, but the point is if you have an extra channel, you can even install moveable turrets, missile bay doors, drop bombs, and such. RC is a real kick.

Reactions: Blind Owl

RiceMaiden

Admiral
Jan 21, 2017
RSI Handle
RiceMaiden
I'm man-crushing hard on you @RiceMaiden. Beautiful work.
I've been Owl-crushing on you since day one!

---

Lately I've gotten back into my model making groove. Life is a bit more hectic with a potential waifu and trying to start a business.

I decided to finish off the 300 series despite pending to rework (no longer 2018?). This meant the 300i, 315p, and 325a variants had to be finished.

Thankfully those didn't require a ton of work.

At this point I just need to get the wood through the laser cutter and I should done.

This smaller format is helping a bunch. Models are more manageable and quicker to produce. Plus the new wood is easier to cut.

For those of you that remember, I did a nice box for the Carrack model before I assembled it. I want to do the same for the 300 series. Each of the 300 series will get a simple laser cut box. I'd like to produce a RiceMaiden Models logo to use... but nothing that should hold me up.

The 300 series is kinda like the new hornet for me. Easy to make, very easy to put together. Since I've been wanting to do a giveaway for a while I was thinking I might give away a set of 300 series models for some eager TEST users to put together. Box included so when you share on Spectrum, the Javelin owners can still be jealous :D

Forgot your password?