Role comparison/practicality of the new Origin 100 series

MegaMonkey

Vice Admiral
Sep 12, 2017
RSI Handle
MegaMonkey
Help me out here, I'm trying to figure out which of the ships I want that would "fit its role" better.

100i (touring) : I'm guessing any ship that got a clean look and luxury feeling to it can fir the role of flying around in style. This one sure got the looks (but then again, all the 100 series looks the same lol) so I'm guessing it fits the touring role pretty well? but will there be a way to make money from that? as a starter ship getting a good start (and also a good fallback) for making money easily would be a nice plus.

125a (light fighter) : can't say about how it handles, the only parameters I can compare with other starter/light fighter ships are size and speed, and while smaller than a mustang it's a bit slower (not sure if those 10m/s would make a difference since you almost never go top speed in a fight). As for firepower, I'm not sure how to describe my disappointment with this? the only extra between other types is the 2 size 1 missiles, the guns are the same (2 size 1 guns) as the other models, so... will 2 missiles really be the thing that makes this model better for running combat missions? (judging from the rearming price for missiles... lol).

135c (light freight) : well... the same SCU capacity as the other starter/light freight ships, much slower than the mustang, and slightly faster than the aurora, and same light guns as the mustang, and way under-gunned than the aurora... It can do the role of a light freight just fine, but it feels like it's not better in any way than the other two, more or less an under average cargo ship... but it gets bonus points for style :kissing_heart:

so... what do you guys think? which one is more fitting? (I personally am willing to try every role when starting out, I'll buy the bigger/more specialized ships later on when I see what style I like better).

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
It's all for the styling, you pay a premium for the Origin badge and that AIR system is a bonus that I don't think others will have being starter ships, only the LN has a scoop? May be wrong, I don't study ship specs.

Still it's very stylish, very functional and CHEAP! People who want to look good will definitely want this ship as their starter especially new players.

If I were to choose I'd go with the 125a for the missiles, plus I like the paint on it.

Then again the 100i is so clean looking, that is a nice ship. Damn these ship designers.

Get both.

MegaMonkey

Vice Admiral
Sep 12, 2017
RSI Handle
MegaMonkey
If I were to choose I'd go with the 125a for the missiles, plus I like the paint on it.

Then again the 100i is so clean looking, that is a nice ship. Damn these ship designers.

Get both.
but then we lose the cheap factor if I go for both >.< I'm guessing one will be able to buy these ships in game at some point, and while the 100i does seem to be more for fun than business, I am 100% going to get one. just want to know which is better for me to start with... but then again I'm sure they don't give you a useless starter ship, there will probably be fetch/delivery missions that don't require much SCU so the 100i can do... probably.

As for the 125a, it's basically a different paint job and more missiles than 100i... I'll probably got for 125a if anything, assuming it will actually be fit for combat missions...

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
but then we lose the cheap factor if I go for both >.< I'm guessing one will be able to buy these ships in game at some point, and while the 100i does seem to be more for fun than business, I am 100% going to get one. just want to know which is better for me to start with... but then again I'm sure they don't give you a useless starter ship, there will probably be fetch/delivery missions that don't require much SCU so the 100i can do... probably.

As for the 125a, it's basically a different paint job and more missiles than 100i... I'll probably got for 125a if anything, assuming it will actually be fit for combat missions...
Yeah it's tough to say, missiles ain't free either, maybe you'll get away with just lasers on the 100i but I think the 125a is slightly faster? If anything that time saving should be worth it. Plus the missiles so maybe that helps you decide?

I might get one as I have some credit to use and these are nice ships.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
My advice:
I'm guessing the guns and armor on the 125 aren't going to be any good at all. You'd be much better off starting with the plain 100, and then upgrading when you are ready or see fit. In fact, I just came from the stats page...all the 100 series ships have the same guns, but the 125 Fighter just gets missiles added. Not worth it, in my opinion. (note ... everything on the stats page is subject to change. I'm actually surprised the fighter is listed as having a Jump drive, they usually don't have Jump drives on lighter fighters. Maybe because it comes with a bed?)

I like the 2 SCU of the 100...that is just enough to get started, without losing all your starting money in one run. Do a couple of runs, and see if you are ready to upgrade to something else, like the Avenger Titan. In fact, for $10, I'd upgrade immediately!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think if what you want is a very light freighter, your choices are the Avenger Titan, the Reliant Kore and the 135C. If you want to do light freight, you have to have a strategy for coping with crooks who want your cargo. With the Titan and 135C, the strategy is run away. With the Kore you could be tempted to fight, since it is not fast enough to run.

I you want a job where you will be forced to run away from conflict, both the Titan and 135C will serve. The question is really if you'll run or get your ass shot off. If you're going to fight, you're better off in the Kore than the 135C and better off in the Titan than the Kore, IMHO.

MegaMonkey

Vice Admiral
Sep 12, 2017
RSI Handle
MegaMonkey
Actually, I already own a Titan so that much is settled, I also have a 315p if I feel like cruising about and (probably) do exploration.

What I was looking for is a starter ship, and since I started with a Mustang Alpha then upgraded to the 315p, I thought I should still have a starter ship, because we don't know how things will be when the game comes out (restrictions on what ship you can pilot etc.), so have a starter ship is probably a very solid investment. And with the 100 series looking fab I was wondering if it has more than just look (i.e. practicality)

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
the armament on the 100 series ships will only protect you from other n00bs in starter ships

you'll need to run from everybody else

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
(not sure if those 10m/s would make a difference since you almost never go top speed in a fight).
Oh, I just want to point out, that if you’re attacking something like freight hauling Taurus, it's likely going to go in one direction at max afterburn and decouple. This will greatly reduce the difference between the manouverability of it and faster ships. Then the fight would be akin to a stationary ship fighting a ship flying in straight line, which basically means the Taurus now has vastly increased chance of hitting you with those 4 front facing S5. The same tactic would apply to pretty much any larger, more encumbersome ship that doesn't have good turrets and wants to conserve, or is out of, missiles fighting a swarm of smaller ships.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, top speed matters.

MegaMonkey

Vice Admiral
Sep 12, 2017
RSI Handle
MegaMonkey
Oh, I just want to point out, that if you’re attacking something like freight hauling Taurus, it's likely going to go in one direction at max afterburn and decouple. This will greatly reduce the difference between the manouverability of it and faster ships. Then the fight would be akin to a stationary ship fighting a ship flying in straight line, which basically means the Taurus now has vastly increased chance of hitting you with those 4 front facing S5. The same tactic would apply to pretty much any larger, more encumbersome ship that doesn't have good turrets and wants to conserve, or is out of, missiles fighting a swarm of smaller ships.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, top speed matters.
well about that, I see your point, but I wonder if fighters of these sizes would actually take on larger freighters (from the current state of things, small guns do jack shit against shields, will need a good swarm of light fighters). Also, personally, I don't think I'm going to be going after other players right of the bat, the starter ships will serve me mostly for missions and... well, getting started :D

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Actually the Distortion Cannons do great damage to shields. If you're flying 6 of them on a Tana, you should expect to bring shields down very quickly. Here's a Warlock shooting two cannons and it takes the Hornet's shields down in 5 shots, you can pick it up at time index 1:15:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13uBKrl0rQI

A Tana flying 6 Suckerpunches should take down Hornet shields in just 2 shots and some of the second would go straight to the computer in a Hornet--could even knock it out that quickly.

Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
If you want to use it for cargo, lets compare the light cargo ships:
upload_2018-4-15_13-25-59.png

The CL is the slowest, just 5 m/s slower then the 135c
The Reliant has the biggest wingspan and lowest cargo capacity
The Titan has the most cargo capacity and heaviest weaponry
The Alpha is the fastest
The 135c has only 1 shield, has the lightest weaponry, is almost the slowest, is one of the smallest ships.

The strongest point of the 100i, the 125c and 135c isn't its stats, it is it's reach due to best fuel efficiency.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The strongest point of the 100i, the 125c and 135c isn't its stats, it is it's reach due to best fuel efficiency.
I question the fuel efficiency - they have said the fuel scoop system has no effect on Quantum fuel and some ships will have no scoop at all, all will have to refuel at Cry-Astros, so... I don't get it. It doesn't matter how much H fuel you have if you have no Quantum... You don't see anyone riding a Merlin to the ICC probe. Also, when I get up to AB speed I decouple and drift to the destination.

What I think the Origin is going to have over the others starters is a higher grade of equipment as standard... Where as an Aurora will get Grade C gear a 100i may have Grade B and maybe even a few Grade A parts... that could be the difference between your coolers letting you blaze away with your guns for 5 seconds with Grade C or 15 seconds with Grade A...

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
If you want to use it for cargo, lets compare the light cargo ships:
View attachment 9544

The CL is the slowest, just 5 m/s slower then the 135c
The Reliant has the biggest wingspan and lowest cargo capacity
The Titan has the most cargo capacity and heaviest weaponry
The Alpha is the fastest
The 135c has only 1 shield, has the lightest weaponry, is almost the slowest, is one of the smallest ships.

So much wisdom in this breakdown.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
So much wisdom in this breakdown.
LOL, it's just looking at the numbers, knowing that the Avenger will get bigger. If I had to choose as a starter... probably the Mustang. Fastest, equal weapons, medium cargo. An upgrade would be the Titan. Better defending power, more versatile, more cargo. The 135c must have an advantage over the mustang and the aurora, otherwise the higher price just wouldn't be justified.

The same for the 125a and 100i. The better looks are subjective. Technically there has to be an advantage.

Forgot your password?