SAMs happy-hour-GMT+1-daily-work-COFFEE BAR

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Back from vacation. Highlight hike of the trip, Hanging Lake, outside of Glenwood Springs. Quite a hike, goes up 1000 feet of elevation in about 1 mile. A thigh buster up, a knee buster down, but worth every bit of it.

View attachment 7237
Damn. That's some gorgeous Grap. Very nice.
As long as you feed her well while you have her...
Just ask @Blind Owl . all my ladies Are well fed
Huh. You've started calling them ladies eh? You know, you can take a grizzly out of the wild, but you can't take the wild out of the grizzly.

But then, maybe that's what you like about them...

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Back from vacation.
Holy crap!!!! I'm not the guy for 4 weeks vacation (except when going to the States), but yours was short!!! Main thing is that you really enjoyed it.
I might also be able to show some nice waterfalls, I don't the schedule, I even don't know the name of the hotel where we are staying the first few days, at least I know the name of the place where we are the first few days.
It has been worse. In the plane to Mallorca my wife was talking to another couple, after landing my wife went to the toilet and the guy asked me where we are staying.......silence...euhm....I dunno...the name of the hotel?...yeah... I dunno...the hotel where the transfer bus brings us :joy:
As long as the beer is good and the food is good I really don't care.

Graptor

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Graptor
Holy crap!!!! I'm not the guy for 4 weeks vacation (except when going to the States), but yours was short!!!
@marcsand2 I agree, it was too short, but I have a variety of reasons (excuses?):

1. I have another vacation coming up in September, 7 days out on the trail with my horse and some other dudes (@CrudeSasquatch I'll need my horse back before September 10th, hopefully in good enough shape to take on a ride).
2. I only get 3 weeks vacation, and I took half that in the beginning of the year when we were rebuilding our house.
3. As the guy who is largely responsible for running the company (I am part owner), I often don't take all my vacation, or I work while I'm vacationing. I took a total break from the company for 5 days this time. That can be tough for me, I'm an admitted borderline workaholic.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
@marcsand2 I agree, it was too short, but I have a variety of reasons (excuses?):

1. I have another vacation coming up in September, 7 days out on the trail with my horse and some other dudes (@CrudeSasquatch I'll need my horse back before September 10th, hopefully in good enough shape to take on a ride).
2. I only get 3 weeks vacation, and I took half that in the beginning of the year when we were rebuilding our house.
3. As the guy who is largely responsible for running the company (I am part owner), I often don't take all my vacation, or I work while I'm vacationing. I took a total break from the company for 5 days this time. That can be tough for me, I'm an admitted borderline workaholic.
yeah, since the boys were born, my vacation and working schedule drastically changed. After the oldest was born, my wife stayed home for 1 year. After that year I started parental leave for 2 years 25% off. The youngest got born and I extended my parental leave for another 2 years. All over hours were converted to days off. The last 3 years I even didn't take any of my yearly 24 free days, only the extra 13 days and overtime. I saved my free days. After that I have 24 + 13 free days per year and the 72 saved days.
I'm only a worker, and we have to take care that the holidays of the boys are covered, so Carnival 1 week, spring vacation, during my birthday, 1 week, summer vacation 3 weeks, autumn vacation 1 week and Christmas 2 weeks. Besides that, when my wife has to work I get the kids from school, 4 hours a week less working.
When my saved days are gone and I can't fill them up with overtime, I probably will "buy" some extra days free a year or change my contract from 40 to 36 hours a week.
I'm 45, I don't have a huge salary, but also I can't complain about what I earn. Right now my family comes first. I have a house, don't need a fancy car, I live my life.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I'm 45, I don't have a huge salary, but also I can't complain about what I earn. Right now my family comes first. I have a house, don't need a fancy car, I live my life.
Amen to this. My career exists to support my family.

I have all the regard in the word for workaholics, Grap. Or borderline workaholics. Your dedication is commendable. I just cannot bring myself to be one anymore. I did the extended work hours and long months in camp back when I was single and working oil and gas. For years. Made a lot of money too.

With the advent of the family, my priorities changed. Hard and fast. Now I take as much time as I can find to spend with my family. So long as the bills are paid and we can afford to do the things we love, I'm content. I want my son to know his daddy, and vise versa.
'Cats in the Cradle' shakes me to the core now.

Graptor

Space Marshal
Jul 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Graptor
With the advent of the family, my priorities changed. Hard and fast. Now I take as much time as I can find to spend with my family.
I'm with ya' more than you know. When my family was young my wife and I agreed that I would take a normal job (already I was a startup company guy, I get bored easily) and stay at home and help raise the kids. Wife wanted to be a stay at home Mom. I took a job with a fortune 1000, corporate America company. Was there for 10 years. The last 5, of course I was bored out of my mind, but I stayed. After that I started my own company, but it was out of my house, so I managed to juggle both. Now, my son is out of the house, my daughter is a senior in high school, so I'm in a job that is another startup company, I own a healthy portion of it, and I agreed to be the "travelin' guy" as a consultant. It satisfies that workaholic gene.

Of course, soon I'll have to squeeze in some SC time so I can get good at flying....

I'm glad this is a coffee shop, so we can shoot the shit about anything.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I'm with ya' more than you know. When my family was young my wife and I agreed that I would take a normal job (already I was a startup company guy, I get bored easily) and stay at home and help raise the kids. Wife wanted to be a stay at home Mom. I took a job with a fortune 1000, corporate America company. Was there for 10 years. The last 5, of course I was bored out of my mind, but I stayed. After that I started my own company, but it was out of my house, so I managed to juggle both. Now, my son is out of the house, my daughter is a senior in high school, so I'm in a job that is another startup company, I own a healthy portion of it, and I agreed to be the "travelin' guy" as a consultant. It satisfies that workaholic gene.

Of course, soon I'll have to squeeze in some SC time so I can get good at flying....

I'm glad this is a coffee shop, so we can shoot the shit about anything.
So you walked the same path, and completely understand. Damn. Good for you Grap. It's amazing the sacrifices we make in the name of family. And really, it doesn't feel like a sacrifice when it's your family. I can completely and utterly appreciate you how you and your wife chose your route. Kudos to you good Sir and Ma'am.

People quite often ask how I could walk away from making that 150+/year in the oilfield, and join the military for a 1/3 of the pay, especially at 30 years old (at the time). I've patiently explained to many a young, single fellow, that all the money in the world isn't worth being away all the time, living in camps. Stability is far more than job a fat paycheck.

It's funny, as I type this, I'm sitting with my wife and mother-in-law, talking about the same thing.

I may not be rich, but I have a rich life.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Good Morning everybody!

http://bestanimations.com/Food/Beverages/Coffee/coffee-animated-gif-17.gif

After reading all your posts, I'm sitting in my office, starring into this virtual coffee mug - funny, isn't it?

There are loooots and lots of thoughts in my head about life, family, job and health. Unless, I can't write them down. Its all puzzled. But, summarized: I live a life that I never wanted, but my health and circumstances are forcing me. Hence I do my job. One day I will die. But in the meantime, I will have some fun, playing Star Citizen, enjoying the warm sunny days in my garden.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Good Morning everybody!

http://bestanimations.com/Food/Beverages/Coffee/coffee-animated-gif-17.gif

After reading all your posts, I'm sitting in my office, starring into this virtual coffee mug - funny, isn't it?

There are loooots and lots of thoughts in my head about life, family, job and health. Unless, I can't write them down. Its all puzzled. But, summarized: I live a life that I never wanted, but my health and circumstances are forcing me. Hence I do my job. One day I will die. But in the meantime, I will have some fun, playing Star Citizen, enjoying the warm sunny days in my garden.
One day we will all die. Until then, make the most of every moment. :)

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
Every morning I wake up, take a sip of maple syrup, brush my teeth with a squirrel, gargle my whiskey, shave until my glorious moustache is the only hair on my body as per the Queens Regulations and Orders, then poop, then drink some water, then look directly into the mirror and swear undying allegiance to the God Emperor Montoya may he reign in perpetuity all hail glorious leader. Then I make 14 million liters of drinkable water while swiping right on Tinder in a desperate attempt to get laid/have family.

I hope I have prioritizes some day. Right now I'm floating around waiting for a life.

I miss Blinds couch

Last edited:
Forgot your password?