Should Star Citizen consider NFT's for raising funds?

Harkonan

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkypoo
I meannnnn. You did just ask me if I knew words while asking me how it's possible for an unclear situation to be muddy.

I'm just saying ... I was confused. lol

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
You wanna really know why NFT’s bother me without kowing much about them? Go search for “top NFTs December” on YouTube, or something similar. None of these people give a shit about these things, just how much they can potentially make off of the NFT’s as an investment. It’s a bunch of moonbros who got tired of meme stocks and shit coins. I just wonder if that’s going to be the community these CIG NFT’s would draw in, because that’s what I don’t want to be part of.

Gucci

Space Marshal
Nov 17, 2015
RSI Handle
Ras-al-Ghul
Exactly right! So why should CIG spend money to create a new market of NFT based second hand sales without any way to make a return on that investment?
You need a good business case to present to a company in order for them to determine if it will create value for their brand and bottom line. Shiny new internet acronym does neither.
You're forgetting the world we live in, its all buzzwords and marketing, the opportunity for them to market this and capitalize on NFT sales is huge. The person thinks (rightly or wrongly) that they "own" something special, CIG sells the same damn ships except with some custom skin or slight different look/layout and the in-game economy has new trophies/objects of desire.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I've skimmed the thread as I live in the wrong time zone and missed a lot of this bunfight, however didn't see something I don't think anyone has taken into account:

SC is a crowd funder and is still at risk of failing.

Ignoring the fact that NFTs attached to things that can only exist in a walled garden that is a game where the asset provider already has total control over it is totally pointless, in a timeline where S42 is a flop and doesn't bring in the few tens of millions in profits to keep the project going any NFT would end up as worthless as they actually are.

All an NFT is, is your name on the end of a list. When that original asset ceases to exist, as and when the game servers are finally turned off be it in 10 or 100 year's time, all that name on the chain is is a epitaph on a grave stone. You don't own jack - all you are buying is your name on a list that can't be spoofed.

So Ubisoft and EA going after NFTs doesn't surprise me one bit - with the ability to tax following trades its just another monetisation method. Mainstream games stoped being games a long time ago they are monitisation engines and NFTs are just another publisher dick move to make some coin.

First rule of the SC crowd funder: No publisher, no publisher dick moves.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Pulp Fiction was made into a movie. Quentin Tarantino cowrite with Roger Avary. It was produced by Miramax, A Band Apart, and Jersey Films. Quentin Tarantino is a wonderful director, but he is not the sole creator of Pulp Fiction, and licensing for scripts can be tricky business. This is not something to go into half heartedly, as film and media law is its own specialty. I have seen it, and I fear it.
In that case, I'll just stick with keeping things simple by saying "Please no".

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
They dont hand out anything.

Imagine the next sale.. its a gold plated Aurora, only 100 will be sold, each at $1000.

That is a quick $100k CIG makes.

Now I own 1 of these rare ships, I can keep it, or I can sell it. No different from how things are right now.

The only difference is that this gold plated Aurora can be sold and re-sold indefinitely to anybody that wants it without CIG being involved in that sale.
I think this really hits the nail on the head, and gets to the meat in the middle of the concept here. This is how things will be in the future. We can deny, or dissuade each other, fight it, or just accept it. There is not fighting the future tho. It's not a matter of IF but WHEN and so I'm all for it why fight what is coming anyway it's a waste of energy, time, and brainspace. Those are our most valuable and finite resources. This is a great discussion tho!

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
I've learned two important lessons from Apple in my life:
- Refusing to use the international collaboration standard that is USB is being douchy just for the sake of being douchy (thanks ipod).
- 'Buying' something that is digital means you're paying for access to something for an entirely unknown and indeterminate length of time, but you don't actually own jack shit (thanks itunes).
You can keep your NFTs and I'll keep my CDs, thank you very much! (Can I get a hard copy of the SC installation disk on CD btw?!?)

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Hmm call me old grumpy but I consider games (videoogames, tabletopgames and so on...) something that people do for fun anda rare item something that one seek for the plesure of have it as a testimony of his afford or of his passion for that particular games.
This while NFT and similar thing feels like trasform games into something that player will do for finacial speculations instead of fun: we already ahve banned loot boxes as a gambling game, do we really need ot introduce finalcial risk and speculation in game now.
Use stock option for finalcial speculation and leave the games alone please, do not corrupt kids and teenager with this sort of things, they'll have a lot of time for that during thery working life.

makute

Space Marshal
Jun 2, 2016
RSI Handle
VishMainha
Use stock option for finalcial speculation and leave the games alone please, do not corrupt kids and teenager with this sort of things, they'll have a lot of time for that during thery working life.
My brother-in-law landed a really nice job last year, so he's doing what every young man in his 20's would do with fresh money: spending it it in flashy stuff and making expensive presents to his family. He just discovered cryptos, and is throwing money at every, one, of them; hoping that some will stick and make him rich. I'm trying to educate him about blockchain and crypto-currencies but it's a lost battle. He thinks that he's immune to pyramid schemes and scammers because he is "quite smart, and knows how scams works". When a new crypto flops and he loses his money, he just chalk it up as a lose and goes to the next.

So, yes please; crypto and NFT's need his own legislation ASAP to keep them out of the reach of children and other dumb people.

Forgot your password?