Sub Divisions of Test

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
As long as there are thousands of people at stake, you're going to run into an increasing influx of people who want to distinguish themselves from the herd. We are human, and that is what humans do, especially males who are congenitally predisposed to their god-given instinctive nature, to compete for dominance. None of that changes when you log into the internet to play a video game; some people have the will power to suppress it, some don't.

By offering up a chance to be in charge of something this big, you're going to have problems. Choosing and sub-dividing monarchs to lead all develops animosity and a fear of favoritism, in extreme yet inevitable circumstances you will get jealousy and a commitment to help others fail - hence the drama you find in big outfits like this one.

I propose people police each other without endorsing entitlements on each other. I'm all about following somebody that shares my ideas and provides a fun experience, but I will otherwise not allow anyone to coerce me into being a subject of another person's agenda unless I'm paid to do so. We have a good thing going for us now lets not fuck it up with micromanagement just yet.

On the flip-side, I don't see a lot of chest-puffing going on, personally. I see a lot of people passionate about one aspect of the game and trying to fill a void of silence for that particular interest. The mining thing, the bomber thing, NKato's thing for smarter people than myself, are all being advertised as team building exercises as far as I'm concerned. Unless somebody can point me to a specific case of selfish promotion I don't see the problem, so good on those guys for taking the initiative. But yea, it is worth noting that some of us would like to keep it that way for now as Ranger has stated quite clearly.
I bolded the parts that I liked. I really agree with ye, Tooter.

Bear this in mind, everyone: We are not just accountable to the leadership. We are also accountable to each other.

View your fellow TEST members as equals, and take their feedback (if it is given seriously) as a valid perspective.

K1NG

Captain
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
K1NG_Brit
Any process where people are communicating is good in my book. It's awesome to see people so passionate about topics that they can't actually 'play' the mechanics of yet.

Sorry. Back on topic now.

Yeah, loving the ideas Ranger.

Nov 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Ranger BearBlood
Totally agree, I wonder how many Orions are in TEST now and think it would be awesome to have a major operation with all of them and take down an entire belt. Would definitely be a sight to see I think.
That it would can just see it now we take control of some mining station out in the arsehole of nowhere we have fleet of orions mining the belt there with a defence fleet of course and dedicated haulers imagine how much a operation like that would bring in for the org which in term means more ships and so on which in terms means more ability to field more operations

Reactions: Horus Taber

Hitsugan

Captain
Donor
Sep 18, 2014
RSI Handle
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/hitsugan
Organizing is not bad, but there is no point dividing tasks and getting too specific. We don't even know all the features that are going to be implemented, so speculating may not help at all. As for the leadership should be obvious that when the PU launches the active members should have priority, but the leader itself or the commanders will prove themselves. The members choose their leaders, not the other way around, and the time will come for that.

RipVanDan

Space Marshal
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
RipVanDan
As long as there are thousands of people at stake, you're going to run into an increasing influx of people who want to distinguish themselves from the herd. We are human, and that is what humans do, especially males who are congenitally predisposed to their god-given instinctive nature, to compete for dominance. None of that changes when you log into the internet to play a video game; some people have the will power to suppress it, some don't.

By offering up a chance to be in charge of something this big, you're going to have problems. Choosing and sub-dividing monarchs to lead all develops animosity and a fear of favoritism, in extreme yet inevitable circumstances you will get jealousy and a commitment to help others fail - hence the drama you find in big outfits like this one.

I propose people police each other without endorsing entitlements on each other. I'm all about following somebody that shares my ideas and provides a fun experience, but I will otherwise not allow anyone to coerce me into being a subject of another person's agenda unless I'm paid to do so. We have a good thing going for us now lets not fuck it up with micromanagement just yet.

On the flip-side, I don't see a lot of chest-puffing going on, personally. I see a lot of people passionate about one aspect of the game and trying to fill a void of silence for that particular interest. The mining thing, the bomber thing, NKato's thing for smarter people than myself, are all being advertised as team building exercises as far as I'm concerned. Unless somebody can point me to a specific case of selfish promotion I don't see the problem, so good on those guys for taking the initiative. But yea, it is worth noting that some of us would like to keep it that way for now as Ranger has stated quite clearly.
Wait a minute most of us male? I could swear it was supposed to be 80% single attractive women.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I think that it might not be too early to post some very basic ground rules.

Like really simple shit, like no "blue on blue" (for all the other EVE vets) if you're a pirate spotting a TEST Merchant vessel alone in space, just wave and let em be. Or vice versa if you're a bounty hunter and you see some TESTie has a fat bounty posted on em, just pass on it. We're here to have fun, not to screw each other over for having different playstyles! Friendly fire is not friendly.

Likewise, stealing from org members (like there are 2 players that find a big wreck, and one person "snipes" the location and sells it on the open market and pockets all the $$$) is a no-no as well.

Reactions: NKato

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato

Like really simple shit, like no "blue on blue" (for all the other EVE vets) if you're a pirate spotting a TEST Merchant vessel alone in space, just wave and let em be. Or vice versa if you're a bounty hunter and you see some TESTie has a fat bounty posted on em, just pass on it. We're here to have fun, not to screw each other over for having different playstyles! Friendly fire is not friendly.

Likewise, stealing from org members (like there are 2 players that find a big wreck, and one person "snipes" the location and sells it on the open market and pockets all the $$$) is a no-no as well.
I agree, a discussion on ground rules would be constructive at this point.

UPDATE: I've opened a thread on the topic - https://testsquadron.com/posts/34716/

Last edited:

RipVanDan

Space Marshal
Dec 23, 2014
RSI Handle
RipVanDan

I am of two minds on this someone may be bounty hunting because they really don't like piracy or as mentioned in BOoty call some self policing is required. On the other hand for those piratical types a fat squishy target may be too hard to resist. How about instead of a friendly wave a warning that hostilities may ensue. With safe zones or times say a gathering or large ops. It is still early yes, but I like that AntiSqueaker mentioned it.

Beef Squatch

Vice Admiral
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Beefsquatch
The ORG I came from members were free to make their own squads, which actually was cool but logistically crap. We had like 35+ combat squads. I think TEST should always embrace and promote simplicity. Break it down into 3 Subdivisions, Trade & Industy, Combat, and Exploration. I think almost all the other professions can fit in one of those subs. Ie. Bounty Hunting into combat, etc.

Reactions: Zaraphandox

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
The ORG I came from members were free to make their own squads, which actually was cool but logistically crap. We had like 35+ combat squads. I think TEST should always embrace and promote simplicity. Break it down into 3 Subdivisions, Trade & Industy, Combat, and Exploration. I think almost all the other professions can fit in one of those subs. Ie. Bounty Hunting into combat, etc.
We're probably going to keep combat squads under a single umbrella, while logistics would probably require a couple of groups at most (information - Spreadsheet Squad; hauling & trade - Cargo Crew)

But yes, at the moment we've got a ridiculous amount of momentum regarding all the squad discussion threads popping up and that isn't a bad thing. So far, the squads proposed up to now haven't had any risk of becoming redundant.

EDIT: here's a list of categories that should have squads, and no double-redundancies. I'll also include the names of squads that have already filled these particular categories.

List of Squad Interest Threads by Category

Last edited:

Horus Taber

Commander
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Horus_T
We're probably going to keep combat squads under a single umbrella, while logistics would probably require a couple of groups at most (information - Spreadsheet Squad; hauling & trade - Cargo Crew)

But yes, at the moment we've got a ridiculous amount of momentum regarding all the squad discussion threads popping up and that isn't a bad thing. So far, the squads proposed up to now haven't had any risk of becoming redundant.

EDIT: here's a list of categories that should have squads, and no double-redundancies. I'll also include the names of squads that have already filled these particular categories.

List of Squad Interest Threads by Category
I think this setup is great and it looks like we are pretty set with squads in each category. Question, would it be too much to make spreadsheets/forms/websites for these? Just in my own opinion having a formal place for members of each squad to meet could not only 1) clear up the forums for other news but also 2) allow for a member to see the specific happenings of their respective squad more easily. Not saying one has to do one or all of the listed mediums but just thought it could be useful perhaps...Any comments regarding this would be cool.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
I think this setup is great and it looks like we are pretty set with squads in each category. Question, would it be too much to make spreadsheets/forms/websites for these? Just in my own opinion having a formal place for members of each squad to meet could not only 1) clear up the forums for other news but also 2) allow for a member to see the specific happenings of their respective squad more easily. Not saying one has to do one or all of the listed mediums but just thought it could be useful perhaps...Any comments regarding this would be cool.
I'm not too concerned about getting things set up for each division yet; we've got a year to go, so there's plenty of time for Seung, our resident weblord, to come up with an in-house solution that would be tied to our forum accounts.

Reactions: CitizenDad

CitizenDad

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 3, 2014
RSI Handle
SlvmL0rd
I am, but I don't travel very far outside the Seattle area.
Well then good for that we are planning a Meetup at somewhere like Boeing MoF or at my buddies place (Where I actually to worked ages ago). Of course that won't be for quite sometime.

And @NKato , if we do a TEST NW Meetup you better get your ass on an Amtrak and get down here. The 7th will cover your expenses. Since we love ya like a brotha from anotha motha :D

Forgot your password?