Switching to Windows 10 ?

Nekovala

Captain
Jul 24, 2015
RSI Handle
nekovala
Simple questions here:

Are you going to switch to Windows 10 asap ?

Are you going to wait until it's tested by others?

Do you fear any incompatibities with your gear or games?

Do you have a legit Windows copy or not?

For me I've already "reserved" my Windows 10 and can't wait to try it even if I'm afraid of any issues that can never be expected.
As for the copy, mine is pirated (of course) and already has download the new Windows 10 KMSpico :p

Usefull post on how to install / configure Win 10 to get rid of useless stuff : https://testsquadron.com/threads/switching-to-windows-10.4608/page-5#post-58381

Last edited:
Reactions: KingNerd

UbEcLoWn

Space Marshal
Jun 13, 2014
RSI Handle
UbEcLoWn
Yea. I'll probably upgrade as soon as possible. Just cause I like shiny new things. But I'm sure it'll come with it's fair share of headaches.

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
I was an early adopter of Win7 Pro and Win8 Pro, but I'm a little hesitant this time around due to possible issues with video game streaming. I have a fairly elaborate setup now and I'm concerned Win10 will make everything crash and keep me offline for a good amount of time.

I'm hoping I can reserve my copies for my systems, then install at a later date when more drivers have been tested and certified.

Reactions: mromutt

Shenanigons

Captain
Jul 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Shenanigons
Are you going to switch to Windows 10 asap ?
On my laptop I will

Are you going to wait until it's tested by others?
I'll be one of the others

Do you fear any incompatibities with your gear or games?
I'm sure some stuff will not work right on day 1 but thats why the main rig isnt getting it

Do you have a legit Windows copy or not?
What are you a cop?

Kersakov

Rear Admiral
Donor
Apr 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Kersakov
I'm pretty impatient so I'll likely put it on my sisters laptop and within a few hours go 'oh it's fine' and put it on my PC.

My backup PC is running a dodgey copy of Win7 (I do own a licence for it but I don't know what happened...) so I'll see if I can upgrade that one or not...

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I'll upgrade once it's clear it won't bork my system.

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
I have the Tech Preview. So far, no major issues, Star Citizen works, as well as all the other games I have tried(I haven't tried them all) My only issue, and a minor one at that, is that CorsairLink doesn't work right. Without hacking it, and loosing some of the features, it won't run.

SamDaMan

Space Marshal
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
SamDaMan
Oh yeah I am switching when it comes out. I actually made a post on why people should upgrade, he is a copy paste for anyone who wants to see it:

"Whether you are getting it now or a month from now, please be sure to share with others the benefits of upgrading to Windows 10 if they are gaming. If you know anyone who is an avid gamer and is on the fence, try to convince them to upgrade so we can all benefit from DX12 coming to games faster.

I say DX12 coming to games faster because a lot of developers will wait for a majority of their user base to be on Windows 10 before they consider putting so much development time into things such as VR, DX12, and other Windows 10 support.

So it does matter if people upgrade to it or not! So be sure to try and convince others who aren't sure if Windows 10 is worth it! Show developers that a majority of users do want DX 12 and Windows 10 support."

Link: https://testsquadron.com/threads/windows-10-is-coming-out-in-17-hours-from-this-post.4612/

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
I was an early adopter of Win7 Pro and Win8 Pro, but I'm a little hesitant this time around due to possible issues with video game streaming. I have a fairly elaborate setup now and I'm concerned Win10 will make everything crash and keep me offline for a good amount of time.

I'm hoping I can reserve my copies for my systems, then install at a later date when more drivers have been tested and certified.
Grakees has been streaming from it on one box and doing okay. He has had a few weird crashes here and there but seems to do okay overall. You could just do the gaming PC for now and wait for the streaming PC. Otherwise an install of Windows 8 from USB takes like 15 minutes on an SSD and if you backup SC you shouldn't be without that for long. In your case I would probably wait until Saturday though. ;) If you did it on Saturday then you could stream it and have us to talk to. <3

As for me, probably Saturday, no, no, and yes.

Last edited:

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I will be upgrading as soon as available, but there is no risk for me doing so because my OS has its own drive and I archive and backup everything constantly (have not lost a file since windows 95). I have been using the preview of 10 since it was available and it has not had any real problems for me so I feel confident to go for it in my case :)

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt

Did you think about cloning your current setup to another drive and upgrading it to test with? That could be super helpful information for the other streamers around here.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I have the Tech Preview. So far, no major issues, Star Citizen works, as well as all the other games I have tried(I haven't tried them all) My only issue, and a minor one at that, is that CorsairLink doesn't work right. Without hacking it, and loosing some of the features, it won't run.
That corsair link right? lol it likes to break for anything, you looked at it wrong, broken! XD

Raz

Lieutenant
Aug 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Razrabbit
I think the only thing that really bothers me it that it'll render my install cd obsolete, and possibly the registration number that goes with it.
I really, really like having a physical copy on hand in case my 'digital image' gets messed up or infected with something.

What if 10 really screws up, and i've gotta reinstall 8? Will it let me?
Will it let me redownload 10?

I mean, granted, i've never had any 'major' trouble like this for a long time, but i'm always paranoid when it comes to my pc.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
I've been on the tech preview for like, 2 months now, and i'll be switching to the live version as soon as it launches.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I think the only thing that really bothers me it that it'll render my install cd obsolete, and possibly the registration number that goes with it.
I really, really like having a physical copy on hand in case my 'digital image' gets messed up or infected with something.

What if 10 really screws up, and i've gotta reinstall 8? Will it let me?
Will it let me redownload 10?

I mean, granted, i've never had any 'major' trouble like this for a long time, but i'm always paranoid when it comes to my pc.
Yes you will be able to download a copy of 10 from their site

Farasalt

Vice Admiral
Mar 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Farasalt
I'm taking my notebook (what I do show notes on and also what I use for chat) up to Win10 immediately.

I need to provide support to customers on the product and it's good to know how things are going on it.
As soon as CIG confirm they are supporting Win10, I'll throw it onto the main system.

That said, I know that @Grakees has been running Win10 for a while now and hasn't had any significant issues with SC, so maby peeps should have a chat to him :)

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
Also, I do believe that the DL will be an ISO, or one will be made available. There are some issues with just running the patcher on NTFS drives, which was the case for my desktop.

Forgot your password?