The Hornets Series

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Fly it before you buy it. There are plenty of people who will loan you one. I was recently shocked to find that the ships page is completely wrong about how it is loaded, and it does NOT carry a pair of S4 mounts.

It is fast enough and maneuverable enough to hang in a dogfight. It can take a beating. It can be outfitted lots of different ways. The Tracker and Ghost versions hold out great promise. However, if you are interested in the Ghost or Tracker, I suggest wait until 3.0 drops. Radar is about to be added into the game for real, meaning all stealth should be enabled. People will immediately be able to compare stealth performance between the Ghost and Sabre, and tracking capability of the Tracker against say a 315P, Reliant Sen, Lancer Dur, etc. 3.0 really should be a big advance for components in general, and lets hope they will actually fix the ships page like they said they would last patch.

BlackWolff

Commander
Jul 17, 2017
RSI Handle
BlackWolff
I have an F7C loaner atm and I really enjoy the ship. I think it's like a bulldog pup. It can run into a situation head first, take a licking and come out on top. I do have a Sabre, so I don't think that I'll get a Ghost, although it looks pretty damn good. I am leaning more towards the superhornet atm but I am also curious about the F7A. I haven't heard anything about the later one, though.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I am still hooked on the idea of a pair of S4 mounts. Since finding the Hornet does not offer this, I am looking with renewed favor on the Hurricane. The stock turret is kinda fun (place for 4 Jokers?), and if it can mount a Tracker, and the skin can be covered in Void Armor, those two S4 mounts will shine brightly. . .for just a second.

BlackWolff

Commander
Jul 17, 2017
RSI Handle
BlackWolff
I'm currently flying it with 2x Panthers, 2x 9 series longswords, and the ballistic cannon up top. Absolutely love that ship.
It is what made me get the Cutlass and want all things Drake. I want a Drake filled hangar lol.
I need to test that bad boy out then. I really like Drake but I was never a fan of the Bucc looks. Performance however is much more important to me.

I am still hooked on the idea of a pair of S4 mounts. Since finding the Hornet does not offer this, I am looking with renewed favor on the Hurricane. The stock turret is kinda fun (place for 4 Jokers?), and if it can mount a Tracker, and the skin can be covered in Void Armor, those two S4 mounts will shine brightly. . .for just a second.
I like the hurricane but my only issue with it, and sadly a deal breaker for me, is that it can't really take a beating.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
My experience of the F7c is it blows my 350R up in moments. My experience of the Super Hornet is it blows my 350R up in moments. My experience of the Hornet Ghost is that it blows my 350R up in moments. My experience of the Hornet Tracker is it blows my 350R up in moments.

It didn't always used to be this way though... in 2.5 I used to be able to mix it up a bit with hornets, dodge the shots and get a few hits in on them, but 'balancing' means I lost my maneuverability and am just fodder now.

Thats my point.

None of the ships have been really balanced yet. The Bucc flys a lot like my 350R used to before it was 'balanced'. I expect all ships to fly differently in the final game so get the ship you like to look of over the performance now as that may change, although the Hornets are the ship all others have been balanced against so far...

Bitter? Moi?

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I am leaning more towards the superhornet atm but I am also curious about the F7A
Super Hornet is a tank, 3x S3 and 2x S2 on the turret.
Sabre is more agile but lacks armor, don't get caught with your bottom or top towards your adversary, 4x S3
Buccaneer is super agile, doesn't need the extra armor, instead it can rely on evasive manoeuvres, 2x S3, 2x S1 and 2x S2 on the turret.

As you can see, I rely on lighter guns on the turret to keep firing at a target instead of a heavy cannon to hit sometimes

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Slowly I really stared liking the Hornet and I am thinking about getting one. I was wondering what are your experiences with the different models and do you think it's worth getting one?

Also, what do you guys no about the F7A, if anything? What's the ETA on it?
Hornet is a great platform. I, sadly, upgraded mine to something less combat specific. And I regret it everyday.

BlackWolff

Commander
Jul 17, 2017
RSI Handle
BlackWolff
My experience of the F7c is it blows my 350R up in moments. My experience of the Super Hornet is it blows my 350R up in moments. My experience of the Hornet Ghost is that it blows my 350R up in moments. My experience of the Hornet Tracker is it blows my 350R up in moments.

It didn't always used to be this way though... in 2.5 I used to be able to mix it up a bit with hornets, dodge the shots and get a few hits in on them, but 'balancing' means I lost my maneuverability and am just fodder now.

Thats my point.

None of the ships have been really balanced yet. The Bucc flys a lot like my 350R used to before it was 'balanced'. I expect all ships to fly differently in the final game so get the ship you like to look of over the performance now as that may change, although the Hornets are the ship all others have been balanced against so far...

Bitter? Moi?
Good point. Still, I'd hope that since the Hornet is known for being tough, they will continue that trend in the future while balancing all the ships.

Super Hornet is a tank, 3x S3 and 2x S2 on the turret.
Sabre is more agile but lacks armor, don't get caught with your bottom or top towards your adversary, 4x S3
Buccaneer is super agile, doesn't need the extra armor, instead it can rely on evasive manoeuvres, 2x S3, 2x S1 and 2x S2 on the turret.

As you can see, I rely on lighter guns on the turret to keep firing at a target instead of a heavy cannon to hit sometimes
I think I will try both the Superhornet and the Bucc and see which one I like more and which one works well with my fighting style.

Hornet is a great platform. I, sadly, upgraded mine to something less combat specific. And I regret it everyday.
Ahhhh HOW COULD YOU???? lol Which one did you have and what did you upgrade to?

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Good point. Still, I'd hope that since the Hornet is known for being tough, they will continue that trend in the future while balancing all the ships.

I think I will try both the Superhornet and the Bucc and see which one I like more and which one works well with my fighting style.

Ahhhh HOW COULD YOU???? lol Which one did you have and what did you upgrade to?
I had the Super Hornet and i think i upgraded it to a starfarer or something other in the industry line of ships.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I like the hurricane but my only issue with it, and sadly a deal breaker for me, is that it can't really take a beating.
If that's what you like, the Hornet is going to be very hard to beat. You might like the Vanguard as well, and it offers extended range, which though something you won't see the benefit from right away, will matter a great deal in the PU. Same with the Banu Defender.

To answer your question about the F7A. . .AFAIK it only differs from the F7C in name.
I think it has 2 more weapons mounts.

Forgot your password?