The Last Jedi

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Return of the Jedi didn't bring a multitude of Jedi's. It was just the one. The Last Jedi would be in reference to Luke. Keyword being 'last', means Luke will probably be a title character throughout the film as he trains Rey and possibly that other guy since they seem to have hinted at him possibly being a Jedi.

Taking it a step further, the common pattern of star wars killing off mentors and the most recent death of Han and what will soon be the death of Leia, Luke will most likely be killed off at the end of this or the movie after (the one in 2019).

All in all, I may be wrong.
One could argue that "Return of the Jedi" could be referencing the rise of the new Jedi order. THE Jedi, not A Jedi (semantics, I know). By ROTJ, the heroes of centuries of service to the republic are mostly forgotten. This is by design, to the point where Han doesn't even believe Jedi are real. The Jedi order was swept under the rug in merely 20 years (History being written by the victors and all that jazz) What Luke did in ROTJ was declared himself a Jedi and let his presence be known to the Galaxy (By killing the evil emperor and his pet robot dude, as far as everyone knows) So, once again, the Jedi have returned to protect the people of the galaxy. (Not singular, not plural, but the organization itself) Then again, maybe I have too much time on my hands to write nerdy crap about star wars.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Where my Grey Jedi at? That's all I'm saying; 7 films and and nothing, mace windu is the closest we get.

Edited 'cause autocorrect
I'd say that Qui-gon Jinn was leaning toward the grey as well, but I see what you're saying. I want to see the good guy use some force lightning....

ZombieXII

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
ZombieXII
I'd say that Qui-gon Jinn was leaning toward the grey as well, but I see what you're saying. I want to see the good guy use some force lightning....
Agreed. I understand the use of the "good v evil" "light v dark" motif for the early movies, but it's been commonplace for centuries. We need a little more moral ambiguity. The Jedi preach balance but are as big a problem to actual balance of the force as the Sith. I'm not arguing anything new nor am I trying to start an argument, I just really dig the Grey Jedi and the idea of attempting to walk that line of absolute neutrality. I think their inclusion would make for an interesting story, but I can see issues with them seeming shallow or lame if not well written, since we focus so much on these definite "good" and "bad" characters in the movies.

Edit, after-though: The rebels in Rogue One that went to fight on Scariff. Total bad-asses. Morally ambiguous in that they did terrible things for what they thought was right. I like that that brief dialogue was included. It gave characters with minimal screen-time more depth and development than many major characters get.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Agreed. I understand the use of the "good v evil" "light v dark" motif for the early movies, but it's been commonplace for centuries. We need a little more moral ambiguity. The Jedi preach balance but are as big a problem to actual balance of the force as the Sith. I'm not arguing anything new nor am I trying to start an argument, I just really dig the Grey Jedi and the idea of attempting to walk that line of absolute neutrality. I think their inclusion would make for an interesting story, but I can see issues with them seeming shallow or lame if not well written, since we focus so much on these definite "good" and "bad" characters in the movies.
I wholeheartedly agree. The Jedi are so turbo-monk about controlling their emotions due to the original Great Schism where dark Jedi, who were drawn to the quick and easy power that the dark side offered, split from the order to form the Sith. This lead to an all-or-nothing yin-yang approach to force use. Jedi see the dark side as a corruption or tarnishing of one's soul, while the sith see the light-side as weak and complacent. I would love to see a Revan type character introduced in the movies that cherry-picks abilities across the isle between dark and light. Someone that is strong with the force, but belongs to no order. Imagine Boba Fett with the force, and you'll get an idea of what I'm hoping for. Holy shit. Somebody call Disney. We need to make that cannon.

marctek

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Marctek
The Jedi preach balance but are as big a problem to actual balance of the force as the Sith.
I always found if funny they never thought that the one to bring balance to the force would be a Sith or Dark Jedi. I mean the Sith were thought to be gone. The Jedi palace was over run with young Jedi. It seems the force was a bit out of balance in favor of the good guys. So it would only make sense that the one to bring balance would have to balance opposite all of that.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I always found if funny they never thought that the one to bring balance to the force would be a Sith or Dark Jedi. I mean the Sith were thought to be gone. The Jedi palace was over run with young Jedi. It seems the force was a bit out of balance in favor of the good guys. So it would only make sense that the one to bring balance would have to balance opposite all of that.
I have heard it said that use of the light side IS balance. One who is attuned to the light submits themselves to the force and allows it to guide them. Imbalance comes from dark side use of the force. A darksider bends the will of the force to serve his/her own ends. It is a corruption of the will of the universe itself, and thus an imbalance. Jedi treat the force as a gift to guide them, sith see it as a weapon to be yielded. Idk tho....I guess that's up to Disney now.

ZombieXII

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
ZombieXII
I wholeheartedly agree. The Jedi are so turbo-monk about controlling their emotions due to the original Great Schism where dark Jedi, who were drawn to the quick and easy power that the dark side offered, split from the order to form the Sith. This lead to an all-or-nothing yin-yang approach to force use. Jedi see the dark side as a corruption or tarnishing of one's soul, while the sith see the light-side as weak and complacent. I would love to see a Revan type character introduced in the movies that cherry-picks abilities across the isle between dark and light. Someone that is strong with the force, but belongs to no order. Imagine Boba Fett with the force, and you'll get an idea of what I'm hoping for. Holy shit. Somebody call Disney. We need to make that cannon.
Yes! I'm also hoping all of Luke's seclusion may have given him some insight in this regard and trains Rei accordingly.
Luke: "Don't be a dick and don't be a pussy. Keep your shit in check but don't hesitate to waste a bitch. Now, let's begin..."
Luke: *Jumps on Rei's back* "Run"

They Literally sit there and meditate for days, how did they not see it coming?
Jedi regarding prophecy: "This boy is the chosen one, he will bring balance to the Force."
The Force: "Yup, lol"

ZombieXII

Space Marshal
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
ZombieXII
I have heard it said that use of the light side IS balance. One who is attuned to the light submits themselves to the force and allows it to guide them. Imbalance comes from dark side use of the force. A darksider bends the will of the force to serve his/her own ends. It is a corruption of the will of the universe itself, and thus an imbalance. Jedi treat the force as a gift to guide them, sith see it as a weapon to be yielded. Idk tho....I guess that's up to Disney now.
I can see that point. However, I would conjecture that the Jedi rejection and suppression of emotions, which are entirely natural and part of the whole being, causes an imbalance. Similarly, the Sith also disregard parts of the whole. Furthermore, Jedi presume that the Force has a will and interpret it, in a way which is likely biased, based on their system. But I don't think we need to turn this into a philosophy thread.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
What if...*puff*...what if the force isn't even real, man? What if force users are simply those with the ability to manifest their will to physically effect the world around them with the power of thought alone. After all, consciousnesses is the catalyst of existence itself. Without consciousness, there can be nothing. There is no spoon, and size matters not.....

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Damn you stop calling my star wars nerdy..Star trek is more nerdy than star wars an i love most sci fi shows..Jees stop with the nerd hate
Who said there was any hate involved? Being super into the cannon and backstories of anything can be considered nerdy. It's just a term that denotes knowledgeable passion for something. I would refer to myself as a star wars nerd, and I'm proud of it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Who said there was any hate involved? Being super into the cannon and backstories of anything can be considered nerdy. It's just a term that denotes knowledgeable passion for something. I would refer to myself as a star wars nerd, and I'm proud of it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I use geek. I love the word geek. If I'm playing on my PC or Sony, I'm geeking out. I have geek shirts in my closed. I almost bought a Star Wars waffle iron yesterday, for geek food. To fill the void. The geek is strong with this one.

Also, I love the level of geek in this thread. I love you lads and lasses. You're my favourite geeks.

Uruwashii

Vice Admiral
Jan 24, 2016
RSI Handle
Uruwashii
First off, this thread makes me happy.
Second we don't have too much to really work with when looking at the current history of the force and Jedi order. I don't think Disney has even thought about filling in the back story of their universe, after destroying everything we had come to know and love about the EU.
Thirdly, "The Last Jedi" is a horrible title. It almost denotes that Luke will not train any one and the force attuned will no longer have factions to cling to.

Reactions: Blind Owl

vindslav

Vice Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
vindslav
The word Jedi is both singular and plural. As is the same with the word 'Sith'.

Also the Return of the Jedi did not refer to Luke alone, but the return of the Jedi way as a whole. Most of Lucas' work is not intended to be taken literally. but more metaphorically just as the materials he was inspired by. This was all was hidden under the guise of a sicence fantasy popcorn flick.

THX 1138, anyone?

Edit: Just noticed that this was noted on just a few posts up. Apologies Lienna.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Owl

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
We are all missing the obvious here, if Luke kops it he can just become Ghost-Luke like at the end of Return of the Jedi where Vader became Ghost-Anakin, Alec Guinness became Ghost Obi-Wan and Yoda became Slimer.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
We are all missing the obvious here, if Luke kops it he can just become Ghost-Luke like at the end of Return of the Jedi where Vader became Ghost-Anakin, Alec Guinness became Ghost Obi-Wan and Yoda became Slimer.
In that note; Can somebody please photoshop the Ghostbuster crew going after Obi, Ani, and Yoda's force ghosts? I need this in my life.

Forgot your password?