Welp, there goes Privateering a fleet from NPCs

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
The problem is insurance giving out a new one so then there are two. The growth in the number of ships would be huge with no way to control it at all. Rare not likely. Sadly it just makes sense unless there is no insurance so still only one.
In this game there is no problem in keeping ship population stable and CR already gave some hints on "how". Imagine - someone grab a few ships, and insurance claims are done by former owners. By sheer accident in a few minutes after getting out of the port old ships encounter vanduul raiding party with very potent EMP device and are barely able to save their lives (mostly). Of course it is far in the future, and before this mechanism is in place - some simpler measures will do.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The problem is insurance giving out a new one so then there are two. The growth in the number of ships would be huge with no way to control it at all. Rare not likely. Sadly it just makes sense unless there is no insurance so still only one.
One presumes NPCs don't have insurance. If players are able to have a real impact on things like the Vanduul war, ships taken from the Vanduul can't simply be replaced by proxy. They need to come from a pool of limited resources.

You realize what we're discussing is whether the gaming dynamic we were promised can exist at all. If you don't get to keep a captured ship, why would anyone take the greatly enhanced risk of boarding it and getting killed in the process? Why even mount disabling weapons like distortion cannons, spike missiles and EMP generators if you don't have a useful outcome from those weapons? Just blow the thing up and take what's left--but that cannot ever yield the kind of game we were promised from the start.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
If you don't get to keep a captured ship, why would anyone take the greatly enhanced risk of boarding it and getting killed in the process? Why even mount disabling weapons like distortion cannons, spike missiles and EMP generators if you don't have a useful outcome from those weapons? Just blow the thing up and take what's left--but that cannot ever yield the kind of game we were promised from the start.
Well .. answer to this question is quite simple - in "end of 20th century" USA one can't keep stolen car, still cars were stolen all the time :) ... in terms of the game - pirates have 0 profit from the lonely starfarer when it is exploded, and hydrogen is scattered in the verse ... but getting in control of starfarer and selling guns and turrets ( as well as the whole hull ) to some NPCs could be quite profitable

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Well .. answer to this question is quite simple - in "end of 20th century" USA one can't keep stolen car, still cars were stolen all the time :slight_smile: ... in terms of the game - pirates have 0 profit from the lonely starfarer when it is exploded, and hydrogen is scattered in the verse ... but getting in control of starfarer and selling guns and turrets ( as well as the whole hull ) to some NPCs could be quite profitable
This is part of the answer the fact that the cargo mostly gets destroyed if the ship gets destroyed so from a steal it and sell it standpoint capturing a ship or even ransoming the ship has a higher payday then destroying and scrapping it, of course the former comes with a significant higher risk.

Honestly I think the best answer comes from their assumption system and being able to have it auto generate missions based on player activity. Joy ridding in a stolen ship be prepared for bounty hunters and insurance reclaimers to harass you while most stations in the system deny you safe harbor. It even works well when stealing from the different factions and races, not only do you loose reputation with them they will track you down and attempt to reclaim the lost property as long as you exist with in their territory and sometimes even outside it.

I truly hope what Will presented is simply the workaround for 3.x and not the final implementation as it would suck. Taking a ship should be possible and keeping it should be based on ones skills and ones support network. Not some arbitrary timer and session state.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
That's what the server crashes are for!
Oh, I see. I thought server crashes only existed for when your (my) ship is laden with cargo and I try to QT to Olisar.

Well as long as my 890 Jump is out of the hands of people less filthy and deviant that TEST I think i'm fine.
Hey I've an idea. Lets travel with our 890's side by side and turn up the sound systems to 11. It'll be the loudest stereo in the Verse! Kinda like these guys.

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Disaster_Area

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Oh, I see. I thought server crashes only existed for when your (my) ship is laden with cargo and I try to QT to Olisar.

Hey I've an idea. Lets travel with our 890's side by side and turn up the sound systems to 11. It'll be the loudest stereo in the Verse! Kinda like these guys.

sound doesn't carry in a vacuum

wake up and smell the coffee

the physics in the PU are totally realistic

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak
Eh. My only plan for a stolen vessel was to rip parts and sell what I didn't need.

Like how you steal a car in GTA for a quick lift, you don't keep it, just beat the shit out of it then steal another while keeping your own cars for special missions.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock

Works for me. I will monitor from my 600I well away from the area.

JackAvalon

Space Marshal
Nov 26, 2015
RSI Handle
Jack_Avalon
I'm ok with this happening to smaller ships but what about ships that persist such as an Idris? Those have been purchased with players and have LTI. If a group manages to steal one from some other group then is that subject to the same "de-spawn" rule as well? I agree that a line must be drawn in order to combat against insurance fraud and exploits but at some point I would hope that in a situation such as a major engagement against a large force could not only result in victory but a victory with spoils (cap ships) as well. Just my two cents but we will see how the game develops.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
persist such as an Idris
It was my understanding that the Idris as well as the Javelin will despawn if all of its inhabitants are able to find bunks to log out in (both PC and NPC). Otherwise the NPC's will attempt to bring the ship in to dock before logging out. The Bengal will persists even for those found and recovered as well as not be able to park it in a hanger so as to create points of contention.

Bruce

Grand Admiral
May 23, 2017
RSI Handle
ABAP
You are apparently unaware of the huge stolen car market where "used" cars are shipped overseas from the USA, typically to Africa.
Sorry ? ... I truly am aware of it ... what I wasn't aware of is the idea that whole bunch of car stealers actually moved to Africa to keep the stolen car .. I simply assumed that they preferred to stay in the US and hence weren't able to KEEP the car (ship ) , and had to sale it to someone (being buyer in Africa or transporter to Africa etc.)

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
So... I liberate a Hull C moving short-range ships from system to system and I have a load of ships?
Like the C is the only stolen ship so unload the other ships, and I've got a bunch of ships?
we don't need to look any farther than our own org to find players willing and eager to game the system beyond recognition

be very careful what you wish for, Chris Roberts - you might not like what you get

Forgot your password?