Why are ships so hard? (this may be a shitpost)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
im proud of myself.. my wallet hasnt fallen victim to a sale for awhile yet. Other then the monthly subscription. I just melt ships and rearrange my hanger lately haha
That's what I've been holding myself to.
I will make due with the current account value I have.
I will make due with the current account value I have.
I will make due with the current account value I have...

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Me to but lets be honest, after a certain amount of spending an extra ship doesn't add much both to the hanger or the total cost! I am still waiting to see how much the caterpillar modules cost and hope its before a possible gamescon sale. (I still have credits!).

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Their ships must be liberated from the chains of oppression.
Well you know those Pirate bastards stole them anyway. We ought to recover them and search for their previous owners. Anyone looking for a Cat, a dozen Dragonflies, a few Cutlass and some Bucks, we should go get some.

Has anyone taken on the little pirate bands flying around Comm stations with Jokers to see what happens? You know that Tana should mount 8 DC's. That should stop a buck in under a second, and it should be easy to hit with, given they shoot fast and wide.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Well you know those Pirate bastards stole them anyway. We ought to recover them and search for their previous owners. Anyone looking for a Cat, a dozen Dragonflies, a few Cutlass and some Bucks, we should go get some
Pirate scum. Thank God there's law-abiding Privateers like us to shut them down.
Has anyone taken on the little pirate bands flying around Comm stations with Jokers to see what happens? You know that Tana should mount 8 DC's. That should stop a buck in under a second, and it should be easy to hit with, given they shoot fast and wide.
I haven't yet played with the DCs at all. I reckon I should.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Pirate scum. Thank God there's law-abiding Privateers like us to shut them down.
LOL. . .such a great way to wake up gulping coffee and misting the plants when it comes out my nose like that.

I haven't yet played with the DCs at all. I reckon I should.
Yes, by all means. I think they may be highly underrated. Their stats are very different than the 3MA, but they are not technically as different as you might imagine. If when the cross-sectional area of the strike misses some part of a shield or ship, you only deliver part of the real damage listed in the weapons chart, then they could fail to perform near the 3MA. If you are not in the "power limited" performance band and all the damage of any hit goes to shields and ship, then they actually would majorly outperform the 3MA. Inside the "power limited" band, they hit for 20% less than the 3MA but they have I0%> range, +I00% distortion damage. It's worth a close comparison. They have almost the same, very high weapon speed to target. I hope to fly 8 of them on a Tana. At 2,400 DPS there are very few ships she could not take on. . .the little ship who could. And don't even get me started about what may be possible with changing the geometry in flight. . .there is just too much to hope for.

CMDR Prophet

Admiral
Jun 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Kestrell
Dammit.
Every time I "finalize my fleet", I change my mind.
Why are ships so hard?
Current Fleet (Star-G), with 4 x Dragonflies. Ship value: $1095
View attachment 2612
My hope is that I'll be able to upgrade the Beerfarer Gemini to the Carrack for $10. Assuming the Carrack goes on sale again for $350.

Thinking I want to end up with this...
Proposed Fleet. Value: $1225View attachment 2614
I already own a Redeemer to Carrack upgrade, so there's $100 I don't need to spend.

However,
I really don't need 2 dogfighters, so the Sabre *could* disappear, leaving me with: $1055 Value (+ 1 Dragonfly = $1090)
View attachment 2616

Hmmmm.

So yeah. I have no questions. Just putting my thoughts down. That is all.

Cheers,
Owl
you should trade the sabre for a vanguard to keep up with your Carrack. Dogfighters like the sabre and buccaneer will only have the fuel to jump a few systems over after all

CMDR Prophet

Admiral
Jun 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Kestrell
Looking at the ship stats a Star G is actually a bigger gunboat compared to a Redeemer.

3s3, 2s4, 1s5 of the G
Vs
2s2, 3s3, 2s4 of the Detmer.

Starfarer is over 300,000 kg heavier though, lol. redeemer packs the same power plant and an S6 shield. alos one of the devs said they were going to cut the Stars armor value in half

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
LOL. . .such a great way to wake up gulping coffee and misting the plants when it comes out my nose like that.
Can't have your plants suffering from lack of caffeine. ;)
Yes, by all means. I think they may be highly underrated. Their stats are very different than the 3MA, but they are not technically as different as you might imagine. If when the cross-sectional area of the strike misses some part of a shield or ship, you only deliver part of the real damage listed in the weapons chart, then they could fail to perform near the 3MA. If you are not in the "power limited" performance band and all the damage of any hit goes to shields and ship, then they actually would majorly outperform the 3MA. Inside the "power limited" band, they hit for 20% less than the 3MA but they have I0%> range, +I00% distortion damage. It's worth a close comparison. They have almost the same, very high weapon speed to target. I hope to fly 8 of them on a Tana. At 2,400 DPS there are very few ships she could not take on. . .the little ship who could. And don't even get me started about what may be possible with changing the geometry in flight. . .there is just too much to hope for.
I'll rent a set and give them a shot. Perhaps 4 on my Saber, or a full load on my Buccaneer.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
you should trade the sabre for a vanguard to keep up with your Carrack. Dogfighters like the sabre and buccaneer will only have the fuel to jump a few systems over after all
Maybe. But probably not. I may end up with a Vanguard (Sentinel or Harbinger), but it won't replace either of my other dogfighters. I'm falling in love with the Sabre, especially the stealth aspect.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I'm going to seriously need help loading out my weapons and learning to fly, I'll get shot down easily if not. Maybe my superior beefed up tech will save me, but I doubt it...
Learn to fly, learn to manoeuvre/evade (even those silly asteroids kill) and learn to aim (that gets more difficult when you successfully learned to manoeuvre/evade).

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Learn to fly, learn to manoeuvre/evade (even those silly asteroids kill) and learn to aim (that gets more difficult when you successfully learned to manoeuvre/evade).
It reminds me of learning to play pool. Once you can aim and shoot you know half the game. The hard half, the part many casual players never even begin to explore, is cue placement or where you leave the cue ball after you shoot, so you have easier shots and can shoot again and again. Same with fighter combat--you can rely on shields and armor and sit near motionless to kill targets, but if the targets are shooting back eventually you need to learn to evade. Eventually it is evasion and cue placement that turns into the much greater half of the game.

If you can evade well enough, you can change the buildout of your ship to reflect that. Note in the vid with DanGeesling flying the Sabre with the very slow weapons, that he was not much flying. No one was shooting at him. I have to wonder how useful those weapons are when evading.

Ripcord33

Grand Admiral
May 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Ripcord03
If you can evade well enough, you can change the buildout of your ship to reflect that. Note in the vid with DanGeesling flying the Sabre with the very slow weapons, that he was not much flying. No one was shooting at him. I have to wonder how useful those weapons are when evading.
That is one of the very reasons i dont use those slow firing weapons on a fast ship like the sabre, the sabre is so fast, that when busy evading, and doing hard maneuvers to keep on target, it becomes hard to hit with slower firing weapons. however, on slower ships with less maneuverability, those weapons increase in their effectiveness. However, when the stealth is implemented fully, you may see the sabre having more benefit from the slow firing weapons based on sheer stopping power, and having the ability to sneak up on, and kill a target in less hits, resulting in you taking less, if any fire at all being a very effective tactic, however for battles where stealth isnt an option, i expect to see the sabre with the general 4x panther or other fast firing weapon loadouts.

Forgot your password?