Why are ships so hard? (this may be a shitpost)

FluffyVonRage

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Palegrave
I thought that the reds sensors were tuned for search and rescue?
If the sensors can find a dude floating in deep space, you can certainly use them to find that expensive piece of kit that's floating out there too - and hunting for recently destroyed ships or derelicts are going to be pretty similar signals, just a matter of time passing.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Honestly, I don't think any of them will make for good explorers. The black and red look to be more of a job of the day, be it Search and Rescue, hauling cargo, or pulling in salvage. (I honestly don't see any place it states the black has lower IR engines when I look at the ship sale page or the brochure. It just says 2x OKB Voshkod Silent IV Advanced...does the silent mean lower IR? Don't know) For me, I see the follwing roles...

• The blue would make for a great bounty hunting ship. Cells to take people alive/into custody and enough firepower to blow them out of the sky if needed.
  • The black would be a good all rounder, capable of hauling small cargos, maybe doing some salvage for stuff that's been located, and possibly a good choice for a "second through the wormhole" vehicle right behind the 315.
  • The Red would make a great first responder or Search and Rescue vehicle. Unlike EVE, I think that recovering your pilots/crew will be much more crucial depending on how severe the death mechanic is. (Might it also count as a med bay like the Carrack/Endeavor, so small fleets have a respawn point? I am not sure, but it's worth keeping an ear open for more information on it)

Honestly, you can probably cobble together an "explorer" out of anything, but I think the dedicated platforms will outshine anything else. If you really want to explore, I would either crew an explorer, or buy an explorer platform. Remember, you don't have to buy it with cash, you can do it in game as well.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If the sensors can find a dude floating in deep space, you can certainly use them to find that expensive piece of kit that's floating out there too - and hunting for recently destroyed ships or derelicts are going to be pretty similar signals, just a matter of time passing.
It depends how you "find" something. If you're using active radar, you can pick up any object of sufficient size, but you can't tell a rock from a person from a ship except for their size. This will not help you at all if the person is floating amongst asteroids, for example.

If you're using IR, you can pick up a warm body and distinguish it from say, a piece of shipwreck. If you're using EM, you can only identify things like bodies at extremely close range.

BTW, the page on the Red does not say it can find people floating in space. All it says is it has long range scanners, so don't overthink it. It is much better to understand how the three basic functions of scan will work and go from there. This is necessary, even for basic things like understanding how missile locks and their countermeasures work.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
It depends how you "find" something. If you're using active radar, you can pick up any object of sufficient size, but you can't tell a rock from a person from a ship except for their size. This will not help you at all if the person is floating amongst asteroids, for example.

If you're using IR, you can pick up a warm body and distinguish it from say, a piece of shipwreck. If you're using EM, you can only identify things like bodies at extremely close range.

BTW, the page on the Red does not say it can find people floating in space. All it says is it has long range scanners, so don't overthink it. It is much better to understand how the three basic functions of scan will work and go from there. This is necessary, even for basic things like understanding how missile locks and their countermeasures work.
Well one would hope that as a dedicated search and rescue ship, the sensors would be able to find disabled ships, ejected pilots, human life forms that have made it to asteroids/planets (planets May be a stretch), as well as the bodies of fallen comrades or enemies (recover that flash drive from Joe Blows body now that you've extinguished him).

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Well one would hope that as a dedicated search and rescue ship, the sensors would be able to find disabled ships, ejected pilots, human life forms that have made it to asteroids/planets (planets May be a stretch), as well as the bodies of fallen comrades or enemies (recover that flash drive from Joe Blows body now that you've extinguished him).
Yes, it will be interesting to see what CIG uses for a "life-signs detector". If we'll have the ability to distinguish between various life forms, the only plausible explanation I can think of is an exceedingly sensitive EM scan, meaning you're receiving broadband RF from a highly directional antennae. You're "focused" on a small area and can pick up very feint signatures and discriminate based upon their spectral analysis. If that is the case, we should hope to see better scan of this sort by use of a parabolic dish antenna on some craft. I for one would love to see this as an option on the Sentinel. I would pull that top turret off in a heartbeat if I could put a very long range directional scanner aboard.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Around the 'Verse episode I00 pt.2, they just committed that with 2.5 the Reliant will be flyable. See time index 3M:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpalZlE4FC8
Sick. I don't own a reliant, but I almost wish I'd grabbed one. It's one of those ships that didn't at all interest me...
And now it does. Haha.
You'd think I'd have learned to just pick them up anyways, if only to have the unmelt option available.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Yes, it will be interesting to see what CIG uses for a "life-signs detector". If we'll have the ability to distinguish between various life forms, the only plausible explanation I can think of is an exceedingly sensitive EM scan, meaning you're receiving broadband RF from a highly directional antennae. You're "focused" on a small area and can pick up very feint signatures and discriminate based upon their spectral analysis. If that is the case, we should hope to see better scan of this sort by use of a parabolic dish antenna on some craft. I for one would love to see this as an option on the Sentinel. I would pull that top turret off in a heartbeat if I could put a very long range directional scanner aboard.
I'm starting to thing, good sir, that you are in "the know" when it comes to radar, EM, IR, etc etc. Are you perhaps air force? Or former air force?
Us army boys are more of the pew pew DaKKa dakKa types. With us combat engineers also being the kaBOoM type as well.
When it comes to types of radar, detection, EM, etc...yeah, I know I have NVGs, and I know they have IR. Haha.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Sick. I don't own a reliant, but I almost wish I'd grabbed one. It's one of those ships that didn't at all interest me...
And now it does. Haha.
You'd think I'd have learned to just pick them up anyways, if only to have the unmelt option available.
I have one :) 3 guesses which variant ;)
When is 2.5 released?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I'm starting to think, good sir, that you are in "the know" when it comes to radar, EM, IR, etc etc. Are you perhaps air force? Or former air force?
I work in development of these kinds of radar and communications systems, intended for use in deep space. It is very cool stuff, but CIG is going to be relying upon some game dynamics we don't yet have the technology for. My company is developing that technology now, so you'll see it in the next couple decades, along with a ton of really cool space stuff. Some of what CIG portrays is actually behind what we're building; and I can tell you about it, but then I'd have to kill you. P-)

LiterallyAlty

Space Marshal
Jul 4, 2015
RSI Handle
Literally
Considering how many of us have a stable of exploration-suited ships, I foresee an incredible fustercluck happening when we try to get crews assembled.
How many of us don't have a spare ship to lend out? It's kind of sobering to realize that even I have ended up with multiple ships.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Know what TEST needs now more than ever? A Bengal Carrier!
Know what I need more then ever? A bunch of pilots to man my fighters our ships, I can utilize a whole squadron with them :rolleyes:.. of course a Bengal Carrier would be great to transport them all, why one Bengal Carrier, we need o whole fleet of them!!!

I work in development of these kinds of radar and communications systems, intended for use in deep space. It is very cool stuff, but CIG is going to be relying upon some game dynamics we don't yet have the technology for. My company is developing that technology now, so you'll see it in the next couple decades, along with a ton of really cool space stuff. Some of what CIG portrays is actually behind what we're building; and I can tell you about it, but then I'd have to kill you. P-)
That explains your expertise!!! That's no theorycrafting, that is putting real knowledge in a game. My job is Industrial Automation, no R&D there, biggest challenge is to find out how somebody else wrote a piece of software, doesn't matter which sw language, basically reverse engineering, to get changes implemented or simply to solve problems.

Forgot your password?