Why are ships so hard? (this may be a shitpost)

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Its good to keep in mind though, that a blind man could hit the Star-G by spitting downwind. You can kill that thing with almost any other ship. Probably a Lancer could kill it very easily from 5 km, even if it had the same guns. The Redeemer can still dodge. How well we don't yet know. I was completely in love with the Redeemer until several people on youtube and our own marcsand2 confirmed my suspicion that targeting from a turret on a maneuvering ship is a nightmare. The turrets on ships like the Redeemer are probably not going to get much use save fixed forward, if it has decent ability to dodge; or unless it is deliberately taking hits to its shields, which are supposed to be unusually potent.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
It's kind of sobering to realize that even I have ended up with multiple ships.
Then the answer is very simple, why do you have multiple ships? You don't want to stick with one ship because that would limit you to do the job where that ship is good at. By having multiple ships you easily can switch task you want to perform. That is why I only have allot of fighters and bombers and only one multi purpose multi-crew mid-size ship. The fighters is because of passion for them and redundancy :D

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I was completely in love with the Redeemer until several people on youtube and our own marcsand2 confirmed my suspicion that targeting from a turret on a maneuvering ship is a nightmare
Not completely true, to effectively use a turret on a manoeuvring ship you will need to be a tight working group. I takes allot of practise and suitable manoeuvring to get it working effectively. The pilot must utilize slow steady manoeuvres, not suddenly changing directions, the gunners must inform the pilot where targets are located so the pilot can adjust his manoeuvring to get the gunners in a good position to kill the target and the gunners must know what the move of the pilot will be so they can adjust their targeting accordingly.
It will be a hard task to get it done, but when everybody works perfect as a team and also uses a good communication (Discord) and radio discipline, then it will be a killer machine.
The nightmare gets created when everybody does his own thing with the best intentions, but forgets his teammates needs ;)
A good commander also helps!!! The commander coordinates, the rest follows the lead and can focus on his task. My only experience in a turret was with @CosmicTrader in an Andromeda. He instructed the pilot to keep the Andromeda steady, I was firing and searching for the pirates and somehow they all got killed and I was still looking for the targeting button in a turret :D

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I work in development of these kinds of radar and communications systems, intended for use in deep space. It is very cool stuff, but CIG is going to be relying upon some game dynamics we don't yet have the technology for. My company is developing that technology now, so you'll see it in the next couple decades, along with a ton of really cool space stuff. Some of what CIG portrays is actually behind what we're building; and I can tell you about it, but then I'd have to kill you. P-)
Cool as shit brother. That's awesome.

FYI: I think I have the clearance. Just saying . . . ;)

DcTrojan72

Vice Admiral
Oct 30, 2014
RSI Handle
BigDamnHero
Its good to keep in mind though, that a blind man could hit the Star-G by spitting downwind. You can kill that thing with almost any other ship. Probably a Lancer could kill it very easily from 5 km, even if it had the same guns. The Redeemer can still dodge. How well we don't yet know. I was completely in love with the Redeemer until several people on youtube and our own marcsand2 confirmed my suspicion that targeting from a turret on a maneuvering ship is a nightmare. The turrets on ships like the Redeemer are probably not going to get much use save fixed forward, if it has decent ability to dodge; or unless it is deliberately taking hits to its shields, which are supposed to be unusually potent.
the way i see the turrents on the redeemer getting the most use is taking out hard points to clear an area to drop its boarding party. Think more..Blackhawk chopper instead of dogfighter and it starts to make a bit more sense i think?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
the way i see the turrents on the redeemer getting the most use is taking out hard points to clear an area to drop its boarding party. Think more..Blackhawk chopper instead of dogfighter and it starts to make a bit more sense i think?
@DcTrojan72 i think of it has a cross between a blackhawk and an apache in RL terms, or Kinda like an Armored & Heavily Armed Pelican in HALO Terms xD
I hadn't thought of it in these terms. I like it. I like it allot.
And I still want one.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Considering how many of us have a stable of exploration-suited ships, I foresee an incredible fustercluck happening when we try to get crews assembled.

How many of us don't have a spare ship to lend out? It's kind of sobering to realize that even I have ended up with multiple ships.
I want to own half a dozen ships but I'm not sure I will. I think everyone ought to have at last one fighter, and it looks like I'll pick a Sabre. I love the Reliant so I'm sure I'll get a Tana. I want a Carrack but there are a lot of them and I don't need to be the captain. I'm happy to serve on someone else's. And then there are all the ships I intend to borrow from people I haven't met. There are lots of those. Especially the Vanduul, Krell and Xi'an ships. Nearly everyone is building ships for me. It's a nice community.

It may prove more prudent to invest in equipment and NPC's than ships. You can borrow a Vanguard but if you want to put 7 Sledge II's on it you need to buy them.

DcTrojan72

Vice Admiral
Oct 30, 2014
RSI Handle
BigDamnHero
I want to own half a dozen ships but I'm not sure I will. I think everyone ought to have at last one fighter, and it looks like I'll pick a Sabre. I love the Reliant so I'm sure I'll get a Tana. I want a Carrack but there are a lot of them and I don't need to be the captain. I'm happy to serve on someone else's. And then there are all the ships I intend to borrow from people I haven't met. There are lots of those. Especially the Vanduul, Krell and Xi'an ships. Nearly everyone is building ships for me. It's a nice community.

It may prove more prudent to invest in equipment and NPC's than ships. You can borrow a Vanguard but if you want to put 7 Sledge II's on it you need to buy them.
Lol!! Borrowing from people you havent met yet! XD

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
And then there are all the ships I intend to borrow from people I haven't met
Borrow: Leaving little unsigned IOUs all over the verse. Ha.
Lol!! Borrowing from people you havent met yet! XD
For the glory of TEST. Borrow, tactically acquire, reallocation of said assets. All perfectly legitimate enterprises. Haha
It may prove more prudent to invest in equipment and NPC's than ships.
Just remember to insure your equipment before you hit the verse.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
The Argo is the next concept sale. I dont need an Argo... do I?
Probably not. But you could certainly use LTI tokens. If you didn't get plenty on the last dragonfly sake. ;)
Hmmm Argo? Not sure ive heard about that one... is it ment to aggro my wallet?
All the sales aggro my wallet. *sobs quietly into empty wallet*

DcTrojan72

Vice Admiral
Oct 30, 2014
RSI Handle
BigDamnHero
Borrow: Leaving little unsigned IOUs all over the verse. Ha.

For the glory of TEST. Borrow, tactically acquire, reallocation of said assets. All perfectly legitimate enterprises. Haha

Just remember to insure your equipment before you hit the verse.
Of course! Thats where you and i come in. We reallocate all those shiny items to where they are needed in TEST, without outsiders knowing ;)

DcTrojan72

Vice Admiral
Oct 30, 2014
RSI Handle
BigDamnHero
Probably not. But you could certainly use LTI tokens. If you didn't get plenty on the last dragonfly sake. ;)

All the sales aggro my wallet. *sobs quietly into empty wallet*
im proud of myself.. my wallet hasnt fallen victim to a sale for awhile yet. Other then the monthly subscription. I just melt ships and rearrange my hanger lately haha

Forgot your password?