Why are ships so hard? (this may be a shitpost)

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I haven't played with the Reliant at all. Don't own own, although I'm starting to wonder about the viability of one as an explorer.
They've said it's more analytical than exploratory. The 315 goes and finds things and the SEN finds out what it is.

The 315 is a better explorer ship while the SEN is a better science ship.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I'm sticking with my list unless they add a true dedicated stealth ship, then the Buccaneer is gone!

I really want that anniversary sale so I can lock in my Endeavor!

Anyone been through the last sale know if you can CCU lti ships into the modules? I'd just prefer lti.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I'm sticking with my list unless they add a true dedicated stealth ship, then the Buccaneer is gone!

I really want that anniversary sale so I can lock in my Endeavor!

Anyone been through the last sale know if you can CCU lti ships into the modules? I'd just prefer lti.
No clue. Wish I knew. That'd be awesome. Dragonflies into 'Pillar mods.

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
My bit on this. I will likely live in my Herald.

As long as the 'Buy Back Pledges' option remains, my current "fleet" will change.
fleet.png

That said, part of me wants to melt many a thing to get the 'Battle Pack' and but back enough to cover new things or upgrade packs...then i realise I dislike the current 300 and Hornet families.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

As long as the 'Buy Back Pledges' option remains, my current "fleet" will change.
View attachment 2734

That said, part of me wants to melt many a thing to get the 'Battle Pack' and but back enough to cover new things or upgrade packs...then i realise I dislike the current 300 and Hornet families.
Beautiful fleet!

I've thought about the battle pack as well, but I suffer from the same hesitation. There are too many ships in the pack that I really don't care for. And not enough money to buy the pack and upgrade all the ships

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli

View attachment 2734

Beautiful fleet!

I've thought about the battle pack as well, but I suffer from the same hesitation. There are too many ships in the pack that I really don't care for. And not enough money to buy the pack and upgrade all the ships
In order to get the ships I would like I'd have to buy the $2700 or $5000 pack. And that's not going to happen!

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
One thing to remember is that the explorer ships may also end up being a very good command ship/awacs platform. Change out the sensors that look for minerals/jump points, etc to look for ships, etc, and you go from being able to zero in on wealthy resources, to being able to zero in on threats or targets for your fleet. (see the Sensors, Radar, and scanning section of the https://testsquadron.com/threads/exploration-guide-what-we-know-so-far.3952/ post) This gives explorer ships an additional role outside just looking for more rocks to mine, jump points to explore, and planets to exploit...it should give it a real role in a combat fleet.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
One thing to remember is that the explorer ships may also end up being a very good command ship/awacs platform. Change out the sensors that look for minerals/jump points, etc to look for ships, etc, and you go from being able to zero in on wealthy resources, to being able to zero in on threats or targets for your fleet. (see the Sensors, Radar, and scanning section of the https://testsquadron.com/threads/exploration-guide-what-we-know-so-far.3952/ post) This gives explorer ships an additional role outside just looking for more rocks to mine, jump points to explore, and planets to exploit...it should give it a real role in a combat fleet.
Even ships without specific sense upgrades can swap out a hard point for one. (At least that's whats been said).
Very good point gentlemen. This brings the Carrack back into a more versatile role, in my mind, than just a dedicated explorer.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I posed the question on the "Let's Talk Explorers" thread, but I may as well here too.
I'm leaving heavily towards outfitting a Cutlass for exploration. Here's a quick copy paste of the questions I'm throwing out to you find theorycrafters amongst us:
Which cutlass would make the best explorer?
-The Black has the lower IR engines/signature, which would be good for staying hidden if you happen upon trouble.
-The Red has the upgraded sensor package, which could be hugely beneficial for exploration.
-The Blue has those upgraded engines and missiles, which would boost survivability.

What do y'all think?

Reactions: StdDev and AstroSam

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I posed the question on the "Let's Talk Explorers" thread, but I may as well here too.
I'm leaving heavily towards outfitting a Cutlass for exploration. Here's a quick copy paste of the questions I'm throwing out to you find theorycrafters amongst us:
-The Black has the lower IR engines/signature, which would be good for staying hidden if you happen upon trouble.
-The Red has the upgraded sensor package, which could be hugely beneficial for exploration.
-The Blue has those upgraded engines and missiles, which would boost survivability.

What do y'all think?
I would take the Black one, equip it with the Reds sensors, don't equip the Blues engines, (they will destroy the Blacks lower IR signature) and paint it Yellow/Black for better camouflage!!!!

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari

What do y'all think?
I thought that the reds sensors were tuned for search and rescue?

Forgot your password?