Why are ships so hard? (this may be a shitpost)

Xian-Luc Picard

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2016
RSI Handle
Xian-Luc_Picard
Alright, well in 2.3 i had worked around the broken flashfire by editing the holotable's XML, however in 2.4 they removed it, and it is a currently known bug that the flashfire is broken 100% (on the cutlass), also, i found out that if you put the flashfire on, then remove it and try to put the turret back on the turret will inherit the no power state, and wont even prompt you with a use action anymore.
Well this explains why I had such an easy time destroying one the other day. Thanks for deflating my ego bubble, man. ;-)

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I'm very, very, VERY, VERY, VERY hard thinking currently looking to my both explorers, the Aquila and the Carrack. Every ship I own currently is part of my fleet because of an emotional decision: I *love* their layout. Thats all. But does it make sense on a rational point of view? Especially because of the fact that I'm foremost a single player. Thus I'm asking myself more and more if it wouldn't make sense to sell the Aquila and buy a lancer DUR. And for possible MP exploring sessions I still hold the Carrack (which I definitely will not sell)?
*sigh* Why are ships so hard? :( ;)

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Agreed, but I would note that it is so very specific, such as things like the Panthers draw I57.5 per second; that I think the data must have come from CIG. How could anyone have measured such a thing so accurately? Also there are columns for data that don't exist yet. No one merely compiling data would have included those. And the Omni's on the table. . .how could anyone have data for weapons that aren't in game yet? Someone who knows how the systems are going to work would have had to compile that data.

It smells like a CIG release or leak to me, and since I don't have other data to go on, it is all I have for analysis. I'd note the Panthers actually draw less than Jokers. That's key when considering putting twice as many Jokers on a Tana. The power draw is going to be severe.

I sure wish we had data for reactor power generation.
From what I remember they have said there will be an array of Reactors, just like weapons, and each will have its strength and weakness. Generally trading off between Max Output, Recharge Rate, Heat, Signature, and Weight. The list is something like: Industrial, Military, Civilian, Stealth, Racing, etc...

Obviously Industrial will put out the largest amount of energy and be able to power very demanding components, however, its recharge rate will be fairly average and any sustained high output will eventually drain your reserves. Not to mention it is probably the heaviest of all the types. Which is fine for a Reclaimer, but not something you'd want to throw in a dogfighter as the weight will throw off your piloting.

Military grade is supposed to be the most efficient. Balancing Output, Recharge, Heat, Sig, and Weight. It's not going to be the best at any one category, but it'll probably be the best in slot for any component.

One of the big things I'm curious about is Overclocking the power reactor. They've said you can do it a little or do it a LOT, even at the risk of blowing your component and destroying it. There's even been stated a "sweet spot" where you get the best boost you can while not degrading the component's lifespan. However, even then that implies that you can get even MORE of a boost out of your component if you're willing to risk a bit of lifespan of it.

So do you play it safe and just upgrade a little, costing you just the part and the time of the Overclocker? Do you try for the "sweet spot" to get the best efficiency and possibly cost a couple parts and more time of the Overclocker? Or do you go balls to the wall and get the beast of an upgrade with the possibility of it costing three, five, or even more parts plus a large chunk of time (and possible danger) of the Overclocker? (Blowing a part may cause explosion? Could hurt those on board)

So many possibilities! I'm very excited the game is moving as swiftly as it is.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I'm very, very, VERY, VERY, VERY hard thinking currently looking to my both explorers, the Aquila and the Carrack. Every ship I own currently is part of my fleet because of an emotional decision: I *love* their layout. Thats all. But does it make sense on a rational point of view? Especially because of the fact that I'm foremost a single player. Thus I'm asking myself more and more if it wouldn't make sense to sell the Aquila and buy a lancer DUR. And for possible MP exploring sessions I still hold the Carrack (which I definitely will not sell)?
I understand 100% Sam. I'm trying hard to decide on which small explorer I want, to compliment my Carrack...when I get my Carrack.

I used to love the DUR. But I don't want to have too big of a fleet. And I certainly don't want a fleet of too many large ships.

Why are ships so hard.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
One of the big things I'm curious about is Overclocking the power reactor. They've said you can do it a little or do it a LOT, even at the risk of blowing your component and destroying it. There's even been stated a "sweet spot" where you get the best boost you can while not degrading the component's lifespan. However, even then that implies that you can get even MORE of a boost out of your component if you're willing to risk a bit of lifespan of it.

So do you play it safe and just upgrade a little, costing you just the part and the time of the Overclocker? Do you try for the "sweet spot" to get the best efficiency and possibly cost a couple parts and more time of the Overclocker? Or do you go balls to the wall and get the beast of an upgrade with the possibility of it costing three, five, or even more parts plus a large chunk of time (and possible danger) of the Overclocker?
Most electrical and aerospace components are "derated" to a performance level significantly below their capability so they will not fail on a regular basis. Using any component up into that derated area is "overclocking" and the fact CIG already has stats they're handling that can be found in that table that describe failure or maintenance schedules shows they're looking at the same trade offs for the fiction that we have in everyday life.

That being the case, it will probably not be useful to overclock components at all unless there is a specific use for it, as the component will then wear more quickly and fail more commonly. So for example, the "high output reactor" that comes with the Tana is probably not worth putting in any Reliant that doesn't require the additional power to fire so many guns. If you have enough power you would not overlock the reactor. I'd love to find out if you can overclock it just for a few seconds and program the ship to do so, just when you're firing or have fired the weapons, or need to recharge the shields, etc. I'm impressed CIG is looking to make a series of complex trades so we can all truly "customize" and get the performance we want. I really want to put 8 distortion cannons on a Tana, and I;d like to keep just one of the two missile racks and the other side have more fuel capacity. And I want them to put those bunks back in (where the service hatches are now.) I am miffed they took them out.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Most electrical and aerospace components are "derated" to a performance level significantly below their capability so they will not fail on a regular basis. Using any component up into that derated area is "overclocking" and the fact CIG already has stats they're handling that can be found in that table that describe failure or maintenance schedules shows they're looking at the same trade offs for the fiction that we have in everyday life.

That being the case, it will probably not be useful to overclock components at all unless there is a specific use for it, as the component will then wear more quickly and fail more commonly. So for example, the "high output reactor" that comes with the Tana is probably not worth putting in any Reliant that doesn't require the additional power to fire so many guns. If you have enough power you would not overlock the reactor. I'd love to find out if you can overclock it just for a few seconds and program the ship to do so, just when you're firing or have fired the weapons, or need to recharge the shields, etc. I'm impressed CIG is looking to make a series of complex trades so we can all truly "customize" and get the performance we want. I really want to put 8 distortion cannons on a Tana, and I;d like to keep just one of the two missile racks and the other side have more fuel capacity. And I want them to put those bunks back in (where the service hatches are now.) I am miffed they took them out.
Very interesting. Although CIG has stated that buying higher grade equipment and then overclocking it is their version of "leveling". So unlike real life the component will not suffer degradation until after you OC it past the sweet spot previously mentioned.

I am also curious if you can boost components during flight as that would give the engineering team an active role much like the shield operator.

Needless to say there will be much testing to do once those features go live. I'd suggest, if you all haven't already, to look into the Rock Raiders. Especially R&D as we need more interest in that Ancillary. And this is exactly the sort of thing we'll be doing there. I'm certain your real world experience would translate well there, @Shadow Reaper

Mimameidr

Space Marshal
Jul 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Mimameidr
I've reorganized my fleet entirely too many times as well. I'm hoping with the next sale I can up my Cat to a Starliner, and actually have ships for varied roles, rather than 3 cargo haulers and the big baby reclaimer. This game begets so much indecision and excited imaginings of future scenarios.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Nice. I'm missing a lancer and a Connie in your collection :D

Just for information, nothing has changed yet - I've kept my fleet of multi-crew-ships, being a singleplayer most of the time. Ah bugger, call it female unreasonableness :D

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
I feel your pain. Up until recently I'd been able to restrain myself. I only had one ship at a time, one LTI ship that I melted down and applied as credit to the next ship ad nauseam until I had a Connie, and then I stopped. "It's just a fallback ship," I kept telling myself as new ships rolled down the pipe. "An LTI Connie is just so I can always make good money and afford the cool ships in game. I don't need it," it referring to whatever blasted beautiful assemblage of pixels and features Robert Satan Industries had concocted to tempt me with that particular day. "I'll get one in game."

Even the LTI P-72 Archimedes didn't tempt me, at first. "Buy six!" sang my heart. "Buy six and turn them all into every ship you ever wanted! Have them all forever! Foreeeeeeeever~" But I stayed firm. Yes, I bought six, but I gave them all away. All to friends who were having trouble affording the game, and felt reluctant to drop beaucoup bux on a ship they could blow up by accident and lose forever. They each bought an Aurora game package, took one Archimedes, and did as I had done - carefully melting and molding it into the ship they actually wanted, now with LTI. And so I was rid of all of the blasted sirens.

All but two.

See, when I bought six of the dratted Temptation Engines, it never occurred to me to check and make sure all of my friends would need one. And as it turned out, two of my friends were more... shall we say, "financially solvent" than I expected them to be, and already had an LTI ship of their dreams. I offered them the damned things anyway - they could use them for store credit, or save them for a rainy day, or anything, just get them away from me - but they smiled, and thanked me for my generosity, and refused. "Keep them," they said, not realizing what they had doomed me to. "You might need them someday."

And that's when they began to whisper to me.

It has been... how long has it been, since that fateful sale? I don't know. Time has no meaning in this place.

But I woke up one morning missing an arm and a leg, and curled up around a receipt. A receipt for a new Endeavor. Someone had written LTI on it in blood.

I still hear the other one whispering.

Last edited:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I recently upgraded my fleet with a Buccaneer (thanks @DrunkenTeddy)
So my fleet looks something like that:

View attachment 3004

Yeah i know it's only fighters or big boom-boom ships. I'm thinking of maybe a caterpillar to have a Drake fleet or another multicrew non figther ship but cash as most of us is the issue.
I better not show my fleet :D:D:D:D
Redeemer is still on my wish list :)

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I feel your pain. Up until recently I'd been able to restrain myself. I only had one ship at a time, one LTI ship that I melted down and applied as credit to the next ship ad nauseam until I had a Connie, and then I stopped. "It's just a fallback ship," I kept telling myself as new ships rolled down the pipe. "An LTI Connie is just so I can always make good money and afford the cool ships in game. I don't need it," it referring to whatever blasted beautiful assemblage of pixels and features Robert Satan Industries had concocted to tempt me with that particular day. "I'll get one in game."

Even the LTI P-72 Archimedes didn't tempt me, at first. "Buy six!" sang my heart. "Buy six and turn them all into every ship you ever wanted! Have them all forever! Foreeeeeeeever~" But I stayed firm. Yes, I bought six, but I gave them all away. All to friends who were having trouble affording the game, and felt reluctant to drop beaucoup bux on a ship they could blow up by accident and lose forever. They each bought an Aurora game package, took one Archimedes, and did as I had done - carefully melting and molding it into the ship they actually wanted, now with LTI. And so I was rid of all of the blasted sirens.

All but two.

See, when I bought six of the dratted Temptation Engines, it never occurred to me to check and make sure all of my friends would need one. And as it turned out, two of my friends were more... shall we say, "financially solvent" than I expected them to be, and already had an LTI ship of their dreams. I offered them the damned things anyway - they could use them for store credit, or save them for a rainy day, or anything, just get them away from me - but they smiled, and thanked me for my generosity, and refused. "Keep them," they said, not realizing what they had doomed me to. "You might need them someday."

And that's when they began to whisper to me.

It has been... how long has it been, since that fateful sale? I don't know. Time has no meaning in this place.

But I woke up one morning missing an arm and a leg, and curled up around a receipt. A receipt for a new Endeavor. Someone had written LTI on it in blood.

I still hear the other one whispering.
This story is so cool - thanks for posting :)

I know who to call when I need some fuel --- do you supply beer to the ships that refuel with you?
You call @Blind Owl for the Beerfarer. He is delivering the junk...äh, alcohol...drinks...well, BEER to my Partyfarer. For fuel you have to...wait - damn, I need a second 'farer :confused::D

Forgot your password?