Why are ships so hard? (this may be a shitpost)

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Am I late to this shitpost?
Have a Cat with Fleas that's pretty safe from melting, especially after the recent scuttlebutt about Sim Citizen. I figure I can run cargo with it without too much trouble and get different modules and staff for it for special gigs.

Have a Ghost and am hoping I will be able to get the new model, unless it's only available for f7a? Don't really understand how the new model will be used if the old model is still in game. But I'm hanging on to it because I want to mess with the stealth mechanics when they're implemented. I'd like to run it with the storage box as a stealth smuggler that can duke it out when needed. Would love it if I could get the two-seater cockpit and have as a stealth taxi smuggler, but at this point, I'm not sure that will be an option.

Game package is Aurora LN, but I think I will trade it for LX when it goes for sale again. Because why not? Glory to TEST.

Currently, I have a 315p that I was trying out, but it's on the melting block. I think scouting jump points and exploring could be a lot of fun, but it's just too... posh for me. If the Herald can fill some of those exploring roles, I might try that.
I have a Tana in my buyback that I'm eyeballing, if I can test fly the Kore as a loaner. Might keep as a space taxi, someone always needs a ride.
Also have a Bucket LTI in buyback that I'm almost positive I will unmelt. Not in a real rush to do it because who knows when it will be flyable.

I would like to end up a fighter or two, at least one with stealth and at least one that is really fast. A big ship that I can play Sim Citizen in when TESTies are unavailable. And a solo-able multi-role that can have cargo and passengers.

Didn't like the Freelancer rework personally. Yes it looks loads better, but some of its character seems to have changed (to me anyway)... and the visor... it better get sonar. Waiting to see what the rework of the Cutlass brings, but its forums are so salty, they leave me pessimistic. The Redeemer I expect will have to change a lot when it gets in game. Watch some youtube tours of it and it looks like it's from a different game entirely compared to what is in the game now. Rumors of the Mustang manufacturer making something (?) Freelancer size but who knows what that will be. Maybe it will be the Terrapin since Aegis has another now, the Eclipse? Just wild speculation.

Forgive the wall of text. Wake and bake (it's Oregon, don't be jelly) goes great with with sci-fi daydreaming.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Have a Cat with Fleas that's pretty safe from melting, especially after the recent scuttlebutt about Sim Citizen. I figure I can run cargo with it without too much trouble and get different modules and staff for it for special gigs.
Same. I love the modularity. I think it'll be my principle ship.
I would like to end up a fighter or two, at least one with stealth and at least one that is really fast. A big ship that I can play Sim Citizen in when TESTies are unavailable. And a solo-able multi-role that can have cargo and passengers.
My goal as well. Solo multi-role I'm hoping will fall to my Cutty. I'm praying the rework does her justice. If not, I'll choose another solo multi-role ship.
fleet.png

I have a Beerfarer, Avenger, and a Prospector above and beyond my original wants. The avenger is a game package that will become...something. The prospector has potential to become a small salvage ship, if/when introduced. And the Beerfarer was going to become a Carrack or Reclaimer, depending on how my mind is working when the time comes. I'm having a hard time with all the multicrew ships though. I don't know how much/easy it'll be to run one when you don't have set hours you can play. Organizing friends for your ship could end up being really hard if you're an infrequent player. That's my main concern with that.

I'm almost leaning towards kiboshing the Beerfarer and turning the Avenger into a Redeemer, so I don't have too many large ships. I really only want one, and the Cat cam be that. The thing is, the Beerfarer is worth so much more upgrading than melting. And I promised @Grimbli that I wouldn't melt her, as he put a lot of work into finding her.

Sigh.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I'm having a hard time with all the multicrew ships though. I don't know how much/easy it'll be to run one when you don't have set hours you can play. Organizing friends for your ship could end up being really hard if you're an infrequent player. That's my main concern with that.
That's why you have an NPC crew. Thats what those fools are made for. THEN you can have your beerfarer fully manned and out making money for you while you are out doing other stuff (At least I hope that is how it works)

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Same. I love the modularity. I think it'll be my principle ship.

My goal as well. Solo multi-role I'm hoping will fall to my Cutty. I'm praying the rework does her justice. If not, I'll choose another solo multi-role ship.
View attachment 3104

I have a Beerfarer, Avenger, and a Prospector above and beyond my original wants. The avenger is a game package that will become...something. The prospector has potential to become a small salvage ship, if/when introduced. And the Beerfarer was going to become a Carrack or Reclaimer, depending on how my mind is working when the time comes. I'm having a hard time with all the multicrew ships though. I don't know how much/easy it'll be to run one when you don't have set hours you can play. Organizing friends for your ship could end up being really hard if you're an infrequent player. That's my main concern with that.

I'm almost leaning towards kiboshing the Beerfarer and turning the Avenger into a Redeemer, so I don't have too many large ships. I really only want one, and the Cat cam be that. The thing is, the Beerfarer is worth so much more upgrading than melting. And I promised @Grimbli that I wouldn't melt her, as he put a lot of work into finding her.

Sigh.
I wouldn't have thought the Prospector would be a good salvager at all. Of course, I could be (and often am) wrong, but I'd think you'd need a regular cargo hold for the components you loot rather than just outright grinding up a ship as if it were a rock. I thought the Prospector had a unchangeable mining laser which fed in to hoover bags rather than a regular cargo bay. If it does hold cargo, I would expect it to grow significantly when it gets to hangar. I might get a Prospector in game at some point, but I can't say I'm all that interested in mining beyond helping out on someone else's ship as needed.

Kibosh at your own peril, I think the Starkegger has loads of potential. Just being able to collect fuel for yourself as you go gives it the longest range of any ship. As far as I know, it can land on planets and surely a couple of Dragonflies could fit in it. I would think it could be a great explorer.
Not to mention, it's a necessity for any long distance operation with a group of ships. All that, and you can sell fuel to other players and npcs? I will seriously consider getting a Starkegger if the Cat disappoints, and will surely get one in game.

As far as crew, Sim Citizen, as much as sound like they want to downplay it, will be a thing. Certain jobs might not be engaging enough, or useful enough, for one of your player crew to do for any extended period of time anyway. Hire npcs, and when your friends become available, make the bots walk the plank (or just send them to bed if you're not feeling that bloodthirsty).

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
That's why you have an NPC crew. Thats what those fools are made for. THEN you can have your beerfarer fully manned and out making money for you while you are out doing other stuff (At least I hope that is how it works)
Me too my friend. Me too. I think mining gas and selling it would be boring as fuck. I'm hoiping to either rent the girl out, or upgrade her. Or, as you said, have NPCs run her.
I think the Starkegger has loads of potential. Just being able to collect fuel for yourself as you go gives it the longest range of any ship. As far as I know, it can land on planets and surely a couple of Dragonflies could fit in it. I would think it could be a great explorer.
It has potential in that aspect, for sure. Especially if you can install custom sensors, etc. Never thought of that before.
Hire npcs, and when your friends become available, make the bots walk the plank (or just send them to bed if you're not feeling that bloodthirsty).
I think you can just have your friends jump into and control the bodies of said NPCs. That was the original plan.
I wouldn't have thought the Prospector would be a good salvager at all. Of course, I could be (and often am) wrong, but I'd think you'd need a regular cargo hold for the components you loot rather than just outright grinding up a ship as if it were a rock. I thought the Prospector had a unchangeable mining laser which fed in to hoover bags rather than a regular cargo bay. If it does hold cargo, I would expect it to grow significantly when it gets to hangar
No no, it would most certainly not be a good salvager. But they have said they will be selling a smaller salvager at some point. I'll almost certainly replace the Prospector with one at that point.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
So I started thinking, what do I want to do in game?
I want to be a privateer, an explorer, a salvager, a smuggler, and a combat pilot. I would also like to have a solo-able multi-role ship.

-Privateering comes first. So I want a ship that can successfully disable and capture another ship. Thinking Caterpillar and Cutty.
-Salvage. Either a small salvager when it comes out, the Caterpillar with a salvage module, or the beautiful monstrosity that is the Reclaimer.
-Exploration. Pretty cut and dry. I'm thinking Carrack or Aquila.
-Smuggling. There are many schools of thought here. Inconspicuous, fast, or purpose built. Or a combo, like the hull C. As per STLyoungblood's video. Basically any ship that can hull any amount of cargo can be a smuggler.
-Inconspicuous: Aurora, or something like a Redeemer.
-Speed: Herald, 350R
-Purpose Built: Taurus, Phoenix, BMM
-Inconspicuous and utility: Hull C
-Combat
-Light: Buccaneer
-Stealth: Sabre, Ghost
-Medium: Sabre, Super Hornet
-Heavy/Gunboat: Vanguard/Redeemer
-Multi-role: Cutlass black/red/blue or Redeemer

So I'm trying to decide which combination of these ships to go with.
The Caterpillar is in. It has so much utility. It can be the privateer, the salvager, even the smuggler.
I'll keep the Sabre and the Buccaneer. Sabre is both medium fighter and and I love the Bucky.

My plans end up looking like this:

Plan One:
Privateer/Salvage: Caterpillar combo 300
Exploration: Carrack 350=650
Smuggling: BMM/Redeemer/Warden 250=900
Multi-role solo: Cutlass 100=1000
Fighter Stealth/Medium: Sabre 170=1170
Fighter Light: Buccaneer 110=1280

Plan Two:
Privateer: Caterpillar combo 300
Salvage: Reclaimer 350=650
Exploration/Smuggling: Aquila 275=925
Multi-role: Cutlass 100=1025
Fighter Stealth/Medium: Sabre 170=1195
Fighter Light: Buccaneer 110=1305

Basically, I want to keep the Caterpillar, the Bucky, and the Sabre (unless there's a suitable replacement).
I'm trying to figure what combination would give the most utility, based on either Carrack or Reclaimer mixed with any of BMM/Aquila/Redeemer. The Cutlass can be cut out of the solo multi-role position if there's a replacement.

Thoughts?

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
I'm considering getting a subscription until game gets released. Monthly REC to try out new things without melting my keepers all the time. I figure I will want a cargo hauler when the are implementing the cargo system, a stealth ship when they are implementing the stealth, a miner when they are implementing mining, a jump explorer when they are implementing the wormhole space magic, etc.
Might be the best way to try out everything before the game comes out and I have to make final decisions.

Also, with a year's subscription, they put your name in the game somewhere. I'd be happy to think a "beerjerker" is some kind of space wrench that alcoholics of the future will use to steal beers out of alien booze dispensers.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I'm considering getting a subscription until game gets released. Monthly REC to try out new things without melting my keepers all the time. I figure I will want a cargo hauler when the are implementing the cargo system, a stealth ship when they are implementing the stealth, a miner when they are implementing mining, a jump explorer when they are implementing the wormhole space magic, etc.
Might be the best way to try out everything before the game comes out and I have to make final decisions.

Also, with a year's subscription, they put your name in the game somewhere. I'd be happy to think a "beerjerker" is some kind of space wrench that alcoholics of the future will use to steal beers out of alien booze dispensers.
I have the centurion subscription. I used that REC constantly to TEST stuff. I highly recommend it. The the way the ROMS work, it only counts against your rental time when you're in game.

Lexicon

Captain
Aug 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Lexicon
Forgive the wall of text. Wake and bake (it's Oregon, don't be jelly) goes great with with sci-fi daydreaming.
The amount of hate that I hate is hate. I've been trying forever to find a job that will transfer me to Oregon or Washington or anywhere on the west coast. Arghle.

On an actually on topic note, what's currently considered the best explorer and jump-point chartifying ship? I thought the Carrack had the strongest suite of sensors but the DUR is still small enough to fit in almost all of the jumpyholes, is that mistaken? And how important is actually-fitting-in-the-hole?

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
The amount of hate that I hate is hate. I've been trying forever to find a job that will transfer me to Oregon or Washington or anywhere on the west coast. Arghle.
Come on out. The weather is terrific year round. OR gets less rain than WA, but still enough that everything is always green. I'd stay away from most of CA unless you got money coming out of your ears and feel the need to watch it disappear.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
So the real question is: should you use the Caterpillar for privateer and salvage or should you get the Reclaimer for salvage. When you get the Reclaimer, then you must cut the budget for exploration and get an Aquila instead of the Carrack. If you take the Carrack instead of the Reclaimer, then you will have some extra budget for smuggling.

My humble opinion is: Reclaimer is very specialized, why don't you use the Caterpillar for salvage, it is very modular. That way you can take the Carrack for exploration.
The smuggling part is a little unclear. The BMM has huge cargo space, the Aquila has medium cargo space, the Redeemer has almost no cargo space and the Warden has no cargo space. Therefor the redeemer can do service as a gunship, the Warden as a long range fighter, electronic warfare or bomber.
If you are serious and want to do big smuggling business, then I would take the BMM, if you want to do small and fast smuggling, then I think it is a shame that the Warden doesn't has some cargo space, why not replace the torpedo bays of the Harbinger with some cargo space. It otherwise would be a perfect multi purpose combat and smuggling ship. An Andromeda or Taurus would be my second choice, not the Aquila, you have exploration covered with the Carrack.

Sidenote: big ships aren't my kind of thing, maybe others can give you a better view ;)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
what's currently considered the best explorer and jump-point chartifying ship? I thought the Carrack had the strongest suite of sensors but the DUR is still small enough to fit in almost all of the jumpyholes, is that mistaken? And how important is actually-fitting-in-the-hole?
Whatever ship you want. I loved the DURp for quite some time, but slowly fell out of love. I'm working on that relationship, haha. They keep flip-flopping back and forth between whether she'll fit through a small hole or not. The Carrack is the be-all-end-all of exploration ships, with a beautiful sensor suite, a rover, and a scout. A glorious ship. You may not be able to fly through all the jump holes, but you'll be able to map them. The Aquila is a tier down from that, and probably one of the best all arounders you can get.
why don't you use the Caterpillar for salvage, it is very modular. That way you can take the Carrack for exploration.
I'm thinking I'll go with this plan.
The smuggling part is a little unclear. The BMM has huge cargo space, the Aquila has medium cargo space, the Redeemer has almost no cargo space and the Warden has no cargo space. Therefor the redeemer can do service as a gunship, the Warden as a long range fighter, electronic warfare or bomber.
So for smuggling, any ship can do it. It depends on what you're trying to achieve: Be inconspicuous, be fast, or haul a lot. I'm thinking, as much as I want the BMM, I don't think she's the ship for me. Too centered around trading, which has never been my thing. As a blockade runner, she's gorgeous, but again, she's designed for one thing, and one thing only: trading. And I don't think I want another large ship.
if you want to do small and fast smuggling, then I think it is a shame that the Warden doesn't has some cargo space, why not replace the torpedo bays of the Harbinger with some cargo space. It otherwise would be a perfect multi purpose combat and smuggling ship
I'm sorry, I thought that the Warden had been in the video I'd watched. It was not. I really do wish it had even a few SCU to spare. It makes the Redeemer more viable to me. Which is OK, because that ship is gorgeous. I don't need lots of cargo space, I just need some inconspicuous cargo space. For lots, I have a Caterpillar.
An Andromeda or Taurus would be my second choice, not the Aquila, you have exploration covered with the Carrack.
The Aquila was on the list as a replacement explorer for the Carrack, if I decided to go with the Reclaimer. I'll think I'll play reclamation on someone else's Reclaimer, and stick with my Carrack.
Sidenote: big ships aren't my kind of thing, maybe others can give you a better view ;)
I certainly don't want to end up with too many multicrew ships, and I don't want to end up with too many ships period. Haha.
Ships are hard.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
My plans end up looking like this:

Plan One:
Multi-role solo: Cutlass 100=1000
Fighter Stealth/Medium: Sabre 170=1170
Fighter Light: Buccaneer 110=1280

Plan Two:
Multi-role: Cutlass 100=1025
Fighter Stealth/Medium: Sabre 170=1195
Fighter Light: Buccaneer 110=1305

Basically, I want to keep the Caterpillar, the Bucky, and the Sabre (unless there's a suitable replacement).
I'm trying to figure what combination would give the most utility, based on either Carrack or Reclaimer mixed with any of BMM/Aquila/Redeemer. The Cutlass can be cut out of the solo multi-role position if there's a replacement.

Thoughts?
Too much text; too much numbers. What is the point of your text wall? Bingo? :D ;)

Lately I recognized that I seem to be on a good way with the ships I've chosen: Freelancer for trading fun, Aquila for exploring fun, Starfarer and Prospector for making money. Especially the Prospector seems to be a good invest for a single player: I never could imagine how the gameplay of mining minerals etc. could/would work. But recently I watched lets play tubes of NMS, and there it is: mining gameplay. Seems to me one damn good way to grind money for starters. A Hull-class ship or else will be bought ingame - you have to keep some gaming goals, haven't ya? ;)

As for the NPC-topic, I think that the latest ATV shows pointed out very good in which direction CIG plans to go with that gameplay mechanic. And I'm comfortable with it, because yes, CIG *is* keeping in mind that there will be *lots* of SPs who own and wanna operate MP ships. For sure this will not work for Capital ships >= Idris. But the mid range classes up to Cat and 'farer should be doing fine even as SP.
[concern]I still don't know why I bought the Cat. Just wanted to have her - but for doing what...?[/concern]

Thus I'm feeling very comfortable the way CIG is going currently - not to speak of the speed, they are definitely picking up speed! - and am good with the ships. CIG now should move away from selling ships, because I think that cow is milked dry, and instead of should focus on releasing SQ42 and then SC - and they seem to be fully aware of that. I'm excited. It will become a hell of a game. :)

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
It is a shame that the Warden doesn't has some cargo space, why not replace the torpedo bays of the Harbinger with some cargo space. It otherwise would be a perfect multi purpose combat and smuggling ship.
I still hope that they will provide the option to replace the torpedoes or escape pods for some cargo.
The Retaliator and Gladiator have this option.

I'm sorry, I thought that the Warden had been in the video I'd watched. It was not. I really do wish it had even a few SCU to spare. It makes the Redeemer more viable to me. Which is OK, because that ship is gorgeous. I don't need lots of cargo space, I just need some inconspicuous cargo space. For lots, I have a Caterpillar.
You still have the Avenger!!!! It is smal, fast and has some cargo space ;)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Freelancer for trading fun, Aquila for exploring fun, Starfarer and Prospector for making money
Caterpillar for trading, Carrack for exploring, and all my smaller ships for making money - combat missions.
you have to keep some gaming goals, haven't ya?
Yes, you definitely do. That is why I'm trying to minimize my fleet while keeping maximum utility.
As for the NPC-topic, I think that the latest ATV shows pointed out very good in which direction CIG plans to go with that gameplay mechanic. And I'm comfortable with it, because yes, CIG *is* keeping in mind that there will be *lots* of SPs who own and wanna operate MP ships. For sure this will not work for Capital ships >= Idris. But the mid range classes up to Cat and 'farer should be doing fine even as SP.
That is reassuring. I haven't watched the most recent RtV and AtV, just read the summary notes. Thanks for this little blurb. I'm much more comfortable knowing that I'll be able to crew my Carrack solo when I need to.
]I still don't know why I bought the Cat. Just wanted to have her - but for doing what...?[/concern]
She's highly modular. When I want to salvage, she'll salvage. When I want to haul, she'll haul. When I want to privateer, she'll privateer. When I want to party, she'll have a bar module. :)
I still hope that they will provide the option to replace the torpedoes or escape pods for some cargo.
The Retaliator and Gladiator have this option.
I would love thisd option. Even 20 SCU or so would be great.
You still have the Avenger!!!! It is smal, fast and has some cargo space ;)
Yup. And I also have the Cutty. ;)

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
tumblr_mukpr97UPr1r70le6o1_500.gif

A lot of ships previously unavailable up for sale again! Surely, this calls for necromancy!

Keeping the Cat with Fleas Combo as it seems to be coming out very soon (tm), but melted my Lancer MAX because it is always available.

Have a Ghost (LTI from a Dragonfly) that I've upgraded to a Super Horny, but also got a Super Horny to Lancer MIS (black and yellow paint job :D) CCU for $0. MIS wasn't mentioned in CitizenCon presentation, so I don't expect it getting released for quite awhile. Anyone heard any recent scuttlebutt on it? Supposed to have a tier higher guns than other Freelancers and "elite" versions of engines, is that still the case?

Still have $100 in store credit that I'm sitting on. Waiting on either Cutlass rework, Buccaneer, or Cat modules, none of which were mentioned in presentation (that I noticed anyway). Sad face.

Thoughts?

Forgot your password?