Why are ships so hard? (this may be a shitpost)

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Ow boy, I made the math. Either a Retaliator and an Aquila or a Polaris :D
Retaliator is very kewl, got to try it out when it was a subscriber loaner. It has a "Das Boot" submarine feel, all claustrophobic and dark. Still very glitchy and you'd get thrown out into space as likely as you'd find your way down the hall, but still fun.

The black and orange (or red even) color scheme of the Aquila surprised me. I always imagined it to be more of a Star Trek type explorer, but it looks much more menacing and dangerous now.

Polaris was tempting, but I would have had to melt everything to get one. If you get one, I'll volunteer to mop the corridors for you. :)

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Retaliator is very kewl, got to try it out when it was a subscriber loaner. It has a "Das Boot" submarine feel, all claustrophobic and dark. Still very glitchy and you'd get thrown out into space as likely as you'd find your way down the hall, but still fun.

The black and orange (or red even) color scheme of the Aquila surprised me. I always imagined it to be more of a Star Trek type explorer, but it looks much more menacing and dangerous now.

Polaris was tempting, but I would have had to melt everything to get one. If you get one, I'll volunteer to mop the corridors for you. :)
You are hired!!!! :cool:

upload_2016-10-10_8-35-51.png

But you are restricted to the captains chair, somebody must do the fighter cap :D

Attachments

Last edited:

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
You are hired!!!! :cool:

View attachment 4173

But you are restricted to the captains chair, somebody must do the fighter cap :D
Congratz!! I'm applying to fly your wing with my Terrapin to have at least one BIG ear open into space ;)

@topic: having flown the Superhornet for quite a time - since I bought the Terrapin - I get to know her as a quite fine opponent against the Sabre. Thus today I took the opportunity to melt my Blade(*) and a) buy the SH (CCU from LTI P72) and b) buyback the Prospector with the remaining ingame funds. :)

*...the Glaive, which is given you until release of the Blade, is an interesting ship. But I always had trouble flying her. It was a nice experience but not my kind of ship I'm feeling comfortable in.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Congratz!! I'm applying to fly your wing with my Terrapin to have at least one BIG ear open into space ;)
Thanks allot, the Talli was an easy choice, minimal crew of 6 vs minimal crew of 7; bomber / transport / personal vs pocket carrier :D The Aquila was a little bit harder, 4 vs 7; exploration vs combat.

@topic: having flown the Superhornet for quite a time - since I bought the Terrapin - I get to know her as a quite fine opponent against the Sabre. Thus today I took the opportunity to melt my Blade(*) and a) buy the SH (CCU from LTI P72) and b) buyback the Prospector with the remaining ingame funds. :)

*...the Glaive, which is given you until release of the Blade, is an interesting ship. But I always had trouble flying her. It was a nice experience but not my kind of ship I'm feeling comfortable in.
I have flown SuperHornet in squad battle. 1 on 1 super hornet vs super hornet is a slugging match. Who can hit the first fatal blow.
Delta vs Super Hornet is a different story. Delta hits continiously while Super Hornet gets outmanouvred. Super Hornet needs only a few hits but has allot troubles getting the Delta lined up.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Ok,

Got some decisions to make. I have one or two things I can melt for credit, plus I have two LTI upgrades (argo ships) I can apply. Is it worth it to melt my SH with 3 year insurance and get an LTI upgrade? Honestly, I would think 3 years of play time would be very close to LTI....
What I was planning on using them one of the following: Crucible, Orion, Starfarer, or Reclaimer on LTI. The thing is, which would be a better money maker.

I have a prospector, so I can do limited mining already, but an Orion would function as a strip miner plus ore hauler. I enjoyed mining in EVE so was seriously considering this.
A Reclaimer is almost like an Orion, but for use on destroyed ships instead of asteroids. You would also use this ship to pull working components out of ships for use a spares/replacements before doing the final recycle. Critical materials would probably be found here in similar proportions (minus damage) to what it would take to build the ship in the first place.
A Crucible because that's the type of ship that rebuilds everything and the engineer in me likes doing stuff like that. Thing is, you need the ores and stuff that are found by the Orion, or the systems and metals found by the Reclaimer,
Finally a Starfarer would be nice as it is used to "mine" gas the same way an Orion mines asteroids. The thing is, it seems a lot of people have the Starfarer already...

I think each of them would be doable with a single person and hired NPCs. Each would be useful to Test. The question is, which would ultimately be better profit wise...both individually and for Test...

What do you all think?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Ok,

Got some decisions to make. I have one or two things I can melt for credit, plus I have two LTI upgrades (argo ships) I can apply. Is it worth it to melt my SH with 3 year insurance and get an LTI upgrade? Honestly, I would think 3 years of play time would be very close to LTI....
What I was planning on using them one of the following: Crucible, Orion, Starfarer, or Reclaimer on LTI. The thing is, which would be a better money maker.

I have a prospector, so I can do limited mining already, but an Orion would function as a strip miner plus ore hauler. I enjoyed mining in EVE so was seriously considering this.
A Reclaimer is almost like an Orion, but for use on destroyed ships instead of asteroids. You would also use this ship to pull working components out of ships for use a spares/replacements before doing the final recycle. Critical materials would probably be found here in similar proportions (minus damage) to what it would take to build the ship in the first place.
A Crucible because that's the type of ship that rebuilds everything and the engineer in me likes doing stuff like that. Thing is, you need the ores and stuff that are found by the Orion, or the systems and metals found by the Reclaimer,
Finally a Starfarer would be nice as it is used to "mine" gas the same way an Orion mines asteroids. The thing is, it seems a lot of people have the Starfarer already...

I think each of them would be doable with a single person and hired NPCs. Each would be useful to Test. The question is, which would ultimately be better profit wise...both individually and for Test...

What do you all think?
Choices choices. The Beerfarer is almost a guaranteed money maker, and it's available now (the Gemini anyways). You can always get a Beerfarer to Reclaimer upgrade and keep it in your hanger unapplied too, until the Reclaimer is ready.

3.1 looks to be when gas mining comes in. That'll be where the Beerfarer shines. If by 3.2 you decide it isn't for you, just upgrade that baby to the Reclaimer.

Orion is a ways off, but you could buy a relatively cheap upgrade to it, say from Aquila, and keep it just invade you don't want the Beerfarer or the Reclaimer. You'd just melt that ship, upgrade to Orion, and bam, there's your big old industry giant.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Oh, and buy a bunch of the available crucible CCUs. Like Reclaimer to crucible. So you have that optio available. They're free, so just in case.
I have a lot of free ccus as well as a lot of ships. Only one more til I stop (that sounds familiar...)

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I picked up a Sabre to placate my need for pixels. Boy she can dance!

My loaner Superhornet will disappear when the Terrapin appears next year. I will be sad I've got a soft spot for that old boat.

The Fox

Admiral
Aug 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Thefoxhun
Dammit.
Every time I "finalize my fleet", I change my mind.
Why are ships so hard?
Current Fleet (Star-G), with 4 x Dragonflies. Ship value: $1095
View attachment 2612
My hope is that I'll be able to upgrade the Beerfarer Gemini to the Carrack for $10. Assuming the Carrack goes on sale again for $350.

Thinking I want to end up with this...
Proposed Fleet. Value: $1225View attachment 2614
I already own a Redeemer to Carrack upgrade, so there's $100 I don't need to spend.

However,
I really don't need 2 dogfighters, so the Sabre *could* disappear, leaving me with: $1055 Value (+ 1 Dragonfly = $1090)
View attachment 2616

Hmmmm.

So yeah. I have no questions. Just putting my thoughts down. That is all.

Cheers,
Owl
I have good idea. I will give you my best ship(which can destroy even a Mothership , but you have to give me your shipd okey?

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I picked up a Sabre to placate my need for pixels. Boy she can dance!
I got a Sabre as well! I melted mine a while ago, but it was a non-LTI. I wanted one for fighting and now needed one for my Polaris!

My fleet is 90% done and all I need is an Endeavor, although I don't know if I'll keep my M50...may upgrade to a prospector. Not sure.

Forgot your password?