Your opinion. What's acceptable on mumble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
There is no nice way to basically say "hey buddy we are tired of hearing this crap we talking about something else kthx".
There's always the nuclear option: load up some Disney songs and let the drunken karaoke take it away.

Reactions: o-BHG-o

LiterallyAlty

Space Marshal
Jul 4, 2015
RSI Handle
Literally
There's always the nuclear option: load up some Disney songs and let the drunken karaoke take it away.
While that's certainly an option for dealing with severe issues, it's not ideal for most.

Personally, I'd say that General Chat should certainly be held to Wheaton's Rule. It might be a good idea to moderate it more strictly, if it's the first channel people typically join.

Arrangingstars

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Arrangingstars
I think this is a bigger issue than the rest. The only times I haven't had fun in Mumble is when one person dominates the conversation. I'm sure we all do this at times, but I'll admit, I'm not exactly sure how to politely say, "Hey man, let someone else get a word in, or talk about things that other people want to talk about."
I agree. I have had to speak up in the past and let people know a) they need to move to another room, b) change the topic, c) randomly bring up a new topic of conversation in hopes it will drive other people to speak up and give other people a chance to speak.

As the mumble grows, it'll become more of an issue, so us moderators will try to keep things on track but it helps if people speak up themselves or PM us mods in the mumble to take care of the issue if we're just derping and it hasn't come to our realization. With that said, everyone should feel like they can comfortably come forward to us mods and give us a heads up. We love you guys and want to make sure mumble is a great experience for you, so just poke us. We won't say "So and so wanted us to tell you to shut up." We'll keep your anonymity and deal with it swiftly and justly! :)

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
If a newbie comes into chat and starts going off about Jews and blacks, he will quickly find himself banned
This is called consequences. Freedom of speech is fine but you are always going to reap the consequences. Wanna talk shit, expect to get banned or shouted at or called a bigot. You can say whatever you want but don't expect free speech advocates to protect you, expect them to hammer the shit out of you for being a douche.

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
I had a wonderfully long conversation with Shive one day in Mumble (not in GenChat), about some differing opinions about one single word. Where I am from, and in a lot of places in America, racism can hit really close to home for some of us. He had the opinion I was being overly empathetic over one word, and it was because where he comes from and how he was raised the word means something entirely different and isn't a slur at all. I'm only giving this example, because through our discussion I think we learned more about eachother in the most respectful way possible that two adults can agree to disagree. Now, I know this won't be the case for everyone, especially as our numbers in our VOIP grow, but I encourage everyone to privately message the person or a moderator if you feel uncomfortable with anything someone is saying.

Basically, we all need to have a thicker skin, but sometimes things can hit an emotional cord. If so, talk to the person who is making you uncomfortable like an adult, or ask a moderator to tell them to tone it down - if it is in GenChat.
I want to know the word now :c

I bet it's the N word. In europe, they use a version of that for a lot of things. In that case, yeah, don't say that around english people. It'll cause a response, and not a good one.

Reactions: Arrangingstars

Skullduggery

Space Marshal
Aug 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Skullduggery
Kids eh? I guess I didn't realize kids would be in a group that celebrates (and rightfully so) 42% more beer...

My kids are getting older now, but I used to heavily censor myself around them, and would likely involuntarily do the same if any squeakers are heard in mumble. Was thinking (hoping?) This was an 18+ crowd. But oh well, whatcha gonna do?

Beer, that's what.

Reactions: honcho12

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
I want to know the word now :c

I bet it's the N word. In europe, they use a version of that for a lot of things. In that case, yeah, don't say that around english people. It'll cause a response, and not a good one.
I think it might be 'oriental'. In the UK it just means something from the Orient, the Far East, or Asia. Often used as a word to describe Asian food, although specifically Chinese most of the time. A conversation in the UK might go:

"What do you want to get for dinner?"
"I fancy something oriental, like chow mein maybe."

I think in the US it's more of a racial slur, but in the UK it's harmless.

Arrangingstars

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Arrangingstars
Kids eh? I guess I didn't realize kids would be in a group that celebrates (and rightfully so) 42% more beer...

My kids are getting older now, but I used to heavily censor myself around them, and would likely involuntarily do the same if any squeakers are heard in mumble. Was thinking (hoping?) This was an 18+ crowd. But oh well, whatcha gonna do?

Beer, that's what.
So, to clear this up. We're not in the habit of letting a bunch of youngsters in. As far as I'm aware, the couple we do have have parents also in the org. This is what this discussion is good for though, sussing out people's thoughts and feelings on stuff like this. Although this might require more internal debate. At this point I think a lot of us are kind of against it, while others really just don't care and don't expect there to be that many younger people in the org to begin with since the age demographic for Star Citizen is like 28 years old or higher. So, I'm not /too/ worried about it, at the same time it does bring up some valid concerns for the future once the Mumble gets a lot larger. Basically from what I've heard, if they can't hang with the big boys.. they're out, that's the only standing rule so far.

Reactions: Skullduggery

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
I think it might be 'oriental'. In the UK it just means something from the Orient, the Far East, or Asia. Often used as a word to describe Asian food, although specifically Chinese most of the time. A conversation in the UK might go:

"What do you want to get for dinner?"
"I fancy something oriental, like chow mein maybe."

I think in the US it's more of a racial slur, but in the UK it's harmless.
I've never heard oriental used as a racial slur in America...

Reactions: Arrangingstars

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
Yeah, no. We have restaurants here called "Oriental Express" "Oriental Garden" etcetc and it's not considered a slur. If you have heard of people getting offended by the word oriental... they're... special.
Ah well, it'll have been 'special' Americans over here. I was pretty shocked when they were offended, to be honest, at least now I know I was justified!

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
Ah well, it'll have been 'special' Americans over here. I was pretty shocked when they were offended, to be honest, at least now I know I was justified!
maybe they were pacific islander and were insulted that you called them chinese effectively? idk

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
maybe they were pacific islander and were insulted that you called them chinese effectively? idk
One of them was American, but her family was Vietnamese, perhaps that was why. The other one was from Boston though, so who knows.

Shive

Speed Devil
Staff member
Officer
Mar 9, 2014
RSI Handle
GOD_Shive
Thanks for the many relevant inputs. Please continue keep the relevant posts coming.

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
We have done that already. Set it up, and have it recorded.

As far as Mumble rules, just do not be a Dick. Simple as that people.

Racism - Going to get a harsh warning the first time.
Sexism/homophobia/hate on any group (Read excessive bashing as defined by USC) - Harsh warning first time.
Attacking a member Directly - Get pulled a side and asked what is your problem. Warning if a good reason, if not, best of luck with ADI.
Excessive Language - Moved to Drunk Tank. Should solve that there.
Drugs - As far as I see it, to each their own. As a US based group, we have liability in our servers and as such, keep it out of general chat. Make a room, go to Drunk Tank, ect. Just not in GC.

If you have a problem ask a Mod in chat. If you have an issue with a Mod, a problem you think needs more dire response or no Mods online (never seen that happen) then grab myself or another Officer tag. We will fix it.

If a Mod is not able to resolve it and has to grab an officer then we have issues.

Reactions: WarrenPeace
Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
IMO everything, except attacks on our own members and allied, should be allowed.

We are a international organization. What one might consider offensive, another may not. Im not sorry, but I swear a lot. I have a whole career of cussing. If you are worried about your child hearing put on a headset. I wear a headset to stop my own kid from learning other people talking about drugs and sex in mumble. If someone is doing something you dislike, just ask them bicely and they will probably change. If someone asks me to tone down the cussing I probably will. Just dont expect me to do it in the middle of a fire fight.

Finally let us police each other, no reason to always run to a mod. I have broken up a few heared arguments in Mumble. Peoplr are passionate about their opinions and when 2 passionate people conflict there is sparks. At those times someone should step in to stop it. If it continues then go get a mod. Resolve things at the lowest level.

Lets not turn mumble into tumblr. I dont have time to be PC 24/7.

Burns

Vice Admiral
Jun 2, 2014
RSI Handle
JBurns
I wholeheartedly disagree with what Lechuck and some others have been saying. TEST is ABSOLUTELY a place to be brash, inappropriate, and otherwise do what TESTies have been doing from day 1. Star Citizen and TEST have very mature age demographics when it comes to online gaming communities. Minors make up a small portion of the Star Citizen demographic, and by catering to children we will not only gain very little in terms of new members, but we will lose the spirit of general chat as a fun place where most, but not everything, is fair game to talk about.

The entire persona of TEST is brash, humorous, unapologetic, and fun. If you restrict people from saying anything that isn't fit for children's ears in general chat, it will cease to be the general chat that so many people in this org already know and love. I seriously doubt that anyone would join an org that markets itself with the line "Now with 42% more beer!" without knowing exactly they are getting into.

I am firmly in favor of limiting membership in TEST to players who are 16 or older. I joined this org because I saw it as easygoing, fun, humorous, and mature. I had no delusions that there would even be many people my age (I was 19 when I joined). Those who cannot handle swear words, banter, and the occasional off-color comment are not what make up the core of the wonderful TEST member base, and catering to them will not only be less effective than the current ethos of TEST, but it will decrease the enthusiasm that many current members have for the org.

In my opinion General Chat restrictions should be as minimal as possible:

- If you are talking about how a certain beer tastes or your favorite craft brew, I think that's fine for General. If you are just stumbling into Mumble and going off about "LOL I'm so wasted look at me everybody WWWOOOOOwoooooowWOOOO," then take it to drunk tank.

- Conversations about weed and other drugs should probably go to drunk tank.

- Political discussions are OK, but serious debates should go somewhere else.

Last edited:

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
This is definitely something to be thought apon. In my opinion we should make our own rules. Btw some places recreational drug use is in play (eg: Colorado, some other states and maybe soon the uk). So maybe make some exceptions on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot your password?