Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Even if its tier 3, pub can remain open if it serves food

Thanks, I appreciate your patience with me, you're spot on - Perhaps this will be better for communicating not to go somewhere or what you can do when you get somewhere - I don't expect blockades on Liverpools boarders but probbably road signs saying "Teir 3 lockdown restrictions apply" or something like that...?

We'll see how effective it is, considering it's to avoid a national lockdown. Apparently Sage recommended a "Circuit Breaker" national lockdown of only 14 days to at least get cases back under control. The dice has been rolled, lets see where it goes :)

Reactions: PeppaPigKilla

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla
Thanks, I appreciate your patience with me, you're spot on - Perhaps this will be better for communicating not to go somewhere or what you can do when you get somewhere - I don't expect blockades on Liverpools boarders but probbably road signs saying "Teir 3 lockdown restrictions apply" or something like that...?

We'll see how effective it is, considering it's to avoid a national lockdown. Apparently Sage recommended a "Circuit Breaker" national lockdown of only 14 days to at least get cases back under control. The dice has been rolled, lets see where it goes :)
In my job i work in peoples homes and Liverpool is an area i cover, nothing changes for me apparently

• o7
Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
In my job i work in peoples homes and Liverpool is an area i cover, nothing changes for me apparently
Take care dude, none of this makes the faintest lick of sense as to how or why it's transpiring as it is 😞

I'm guessing Nottingham for the next Tier 3.

Reactions: PeppaPigKilla

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
All of this continues to support my stance and as Vos already said wear it as its a low-cost intervention with potential but don't be lulled into thinking it is protecting you as the research is still ongoing and there is a lot of unknowns. Especially since most of these studies are only looking at a very specific possible infection vectors and not how it factors into the spreading of a virus on a whole.
Context. What Vos said is
“There’s a lot more we would like to know,” says Vos, who contributed to the analysis. “But given that it is such a simple, low-cost intervention with potentially such a large impact, who would not want to use it?”
The article points out also that scientific consensus is that masks work to reduce the viral load that you might receive. Even cloth masks. It is not a guarantee that you will not be exposed to the virus, neither is an N95 respirator. Neither is hand washing, for that matter. The goal of these measures is to reduce the viral load hopefully to something your immune system can handle. You can still get COVID, no matter what precautions you take, but there are things like this you can do to reduce the risk you take, and the risk you present to others around you.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
- Scotland/UK: Scottish MP who contracted and tested positive for the virus in London then traveled the length of the country by taking a train to Scotland while knowingly infected, has in an interview with a newspaper claimed the virus "makes you act out of character". Considering other high profile infected chief aid to the government Domenic Cummings drove 261 miles across England to isolate somewhere that wasn't his own home, then decided to drive around the local area to test his eyesight which could be argued as a very poor way to test ones sight, there appears to be some evidence to suggest this is indeed the case and COVID-19 is able to disable rational thought to spread the contagion. There are some conditions which cause their hosts to become modified and act irrationally, such as a fungus which effects ants... A worrying mutation in COVID-19 if it is starting to be able to highjack a humans ability to act rationally, however it would explain a great many acts of bravado and stupidity by the infected which would otherwise be hard to explain.

The virus which causes Covid-19, called SARS-CoV-2, is mutating at an unusually slow rate, a new study finds.

We are in the midst of a American election... the President has recovered almost fully... and people in the media are going to find another way to spin this to keep people paralyzed with fear and scared of the next boogieman. Fear serves as an emotion and is not rational.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Context. What Vos said is

The article points out also that scientific consensus is that masks work to reduce the viral load that you might receive. Even cloth masks. It is not a guarantee that you will not be exposed to the virus, neither is an N95 respirator. Neither is hand washing, for that matter. The goal of these measures is to reduce the viral load hopefully to something your immune system can handle. You can still get COVID, no matter what precautions you take, but there are things like this you can do to reduce the risk you take, and the risk you present to others around you.
I did not read that there was any consensus as to how if at all effective masks are at reducing infection rates, there is the possibility that they do offer some reduction but nothing definitive as of yet. It could very well be that masks in of themselves are not very effective and most of the virus transmission reduction is caused by the fact the masks reminds people to be mindful of washing their hands and social distancing There is consensus that masks do reduce the number aerosolized particles based upon the particle size, when limiting the virus spread vector. And they did mention one of several clinical trials that have shown masks are effective and reducing infection rate in animals. But you have to remember these studies are on animals in their own cages and the only means for virus propagation is by aerosolized particles.

I am in no way suggestion that people don't wear masks as I view them as being cheap and mostly harmless (there is the study that shows people touch their face more often when wearing a mask then not wearing a mask so would increase the contact based virus transmission potential, as well as a mask retaining the virus from a sneeze/cough/talking and allow for easier transmission from mask touching to common contact surface touching) I am mostly just concerned that we might be focus on the wrong virus transmission vector and come to find out that all of our political infighting and scientific debate was over a vector that only accounted for 1% of transmission and even though masks stopped 25% of that its still a very small number impacted where we could have been focused on the 99% infection transmission and managed to reduce it by 1% and had a far larger impact. Until we know how the virus spreads there are just to many unknowns. With that being said I am eagerly awaiting the study from Denmark as well as several other studies that are looking at mask usage in the wild which can help say if masks are helping even if we don't understand how the virus spreads.

Cells

Reactions: Vavrik and ColdDog

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
I’m pretty sure the current government’s plan of saying there’s nothing to worry about and they’re the greatest in the world is going to work better.
FUCK slow Joe! He lucked out with H1-N1 and left our PPE supply depleted.

That said... this IS not a Slow Joe propaganda website. Please refrain from this.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST

Attachments

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
FUCK slow Joe! He lucked out with H1-N1 and left our PPE supply depleted.

That said... this IS not a Slow Joe propaganda website. Please refrain from this.
I think that if that’s the policy then it’s relevant to conversation regardless of any editorial I post about it.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I did not read that there was any consensus as to how if at all effective masks are at reducing infection rates, there is the possibility that they do offer some reduction but nothing definitive as of yet. It could very well be that masks in of themselves are not very effective and most of the virus transmission reduction is caused by the fact the masks reminds people to be mindful of washing their hands and social distancing There is consensus that masks do reduce the number aerosolized particles based upon the particle size, when limiting the virus spread vector. And they did mention one of several clinical trials that have shown masks are effective and reducing infection rate in animals. But you have to remember these studies are on animals in their own cages and the only means for virus propagation is by aerosolized particles.

I am in no way suggestion that people don't wear masks as I view them as being cheap and mostly harmless (there is the study that shows people touch their face more often when wearing a mask then not wearing a mask so would increase the contact based virus transmission potential, as well as a mask retaining the virus from a sneeze/cough/talking and allow for easier transmission from mask touching to common contact surface touching) I am mostly just concerned that we might be focus on the wrong virus transmission vector and come to find out that all of our political infighting and scientific debate was over a vector that only accounted for 1% of transmission and even though masks stopped 25% of that its still a very small number impacted where we could have been focused on the 99% infection transmission and managed to reduce it by 1% and had a far larger impact. Until we know how the virus spreads there are just to many unknowns. With that being said I am eagerly awaiting the study from Denmark as well as several other studies that are looking at mask usage in the wild which can help say if masks are helping even if we don't understand how the virus spreads.

Cells
Read the article. Top line, immediately below the title.

Face masks: what the data say
The science supports that face coverings are saving lives during the coronavirus pandemic, and yet the debate trundles on. How much evidence is enough?
That is the perspective of the entire article. There were some doubts expressed, however they were more along the lines of there are problems with some fabrics and the way people wear masks. The article also covers the expectations of what protection a mask provides. The goal of wearing a mask is to reduce the viral load, both of exhaled, but also of inhaled viral particles. Not to prevent transmission, but to reduce it. Hopefully to a level which your immune system can handle, but if not it can still reduce the impact of the virus. Fewer virions infecting you is better.

The assumption that they don't know the vectors by which this virus is spread is incorrect. They do. It's eyes, nose and mouth. The virus has other minor vectors, open wounds for example, but primarily it's eyes, nose and mouth. If you pull your mask off "because it's not comfortable", than you need to look into a different mask. We should also be protecting our eyes far more than we normally do. It turns out you can make an effective face covering that protects your eyes using an empty 2 liter soda bottle. Glasses can help too.

And yes, hand washing is important too. Frequently. 20 seconds or so per hour is not going to kill anyone but not doing so might. And the vector is not scratching your face. It's rubbing your eyes, or picking your nose, or sticking your finger in your mouth. Two of those are hard to do while wearing a mask. The third, well at least if you're wearing a mask you don't have 3. If you wear glasses, that might be at least partially covered.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
As tempting as that sounds, I’m trying to find a similar video about the current administration’s policy.
Are you sure you can be objective... because the current administration has checked the boxes you displayed in your video. Sound like plagiarism - something he knows a lot about finishing last in his class.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Are you sure you can be objective... because the current administration has checked the boxes you displayed in your video. Sound like plagiarism - something he knows a lot about finishing last in his class.
The current policy at https://faq.coronavirus.gov/symptoms-and-testing/#should-i-be-tested-for-covid-19 includes “Most people have mild illness and can recover at home without medical care and may not need to be tested.”

The current public health advice discourages people from getting tested meaning the actual number of cases is unknown.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Most sane Americans know... you do what you need to do... not what the govt says. Why Americans distrust the government, it is not our desire to be told what and when to do something. I know other populations are conditioned to trust their government is going to do the right thing... but that is not always the case - example Germany in 1930s. I thought Aussies were more in tune to that unlike Canada.

Forgot your password?