Find us a Home! TEST HQ

Space Monkey

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 21, 2015
RSI Handle
FlyingSpaceMonkey
These maps are based on data over 2 years old. :(
Yeah, but once the data is gathered from the RSI map, we can create a TEST version that we can tweak and mod ourselves. We can also do that with the RSI map and just host our own version of a TEST map with additional functionality.

Reactions: mromutt

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Yeah, but once the data is gathered from the RSI map, we can create a TEST version that we can tweak and mod ourselves. We can also do that with the RSI map and just host our own version of a TEST map with additional functionality.
Go for it.

Aurora The Explorer

Rear Admiral
Donor
Sep 11, 2015
RSI Handle
AurThEx
Speaking as someone with only a basic understanding of how this all works, Nyx and Pyro look like our best bets. Nyx as our main base of operations and Pyro as our bridge into a few other key locations. There's a lot of valuable locations just one jump away from Nyx that might make a better choice than Pyro, but I like its black market availability and its plentiful jump points.

I think we should also look into maintaining a presence in places with a strong economy and few existing jump locations. If we can find alternative ways to move goods from these places we could stand to benefit. But then again I might be completely off base.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Speaking as someone with only a basic understanding of how this all works, Nyx and Pyro look like our best bets. Nyx as our main base of operations and Pyro as our bridge into a few other key locations. There's a lot of valuable locations just one jump away from Nyx that might make a better choice than Pyro, but I like its black market availability and its plentiful jump points.

I think we should also look into maintaining a presence in places with a strong economy and few existing jump locations. If we can find alternative ways to move goods from these places we could stand to benefit. But then again I might be completely off base.
Pyro will be extremely hostile, though. It is a hotbed of pirate activity. It would hurt our non pirate members.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Pyro will be extremely hostile, though. It is a hotbed of pirate activity. It would hurt our non pirate members.
Pirates normally would not be willing to attack targets that large, or that have the ability to come back and destroy every last one of them. It does not help them in any way.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Pirates normally would not be willing to attack targets that large, or that have the ability to come back and destroy every last one of them. It does not help them in any way.
You're not thinking about the average small group of testies, or the solo players.

Never assume any kind of guarantees.

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
Nyx is a bad idea as well, as there is a jump straight into Vanduul territory. Virgil. They might be pushing into Vega right now, but I don't think our base should be in a crossfire between the UEE and the Vanduul.

Aurora The Explorer

Rear Admiral
Donor
Sep 11, 2015
RSI Handle
AurThEx
Home base I still say Nyx. but projecting out into Pyro wouldn't be a bad move. A permanent military presence to secure our black market trade lines and our smaller trading operations. We could even potentially lease our services out to other players if our sec finds the job too easy. Pyro's hotbed could work to our advantage with our numbers.

There are equally if not more viable options though, I just like Pyro because if it can be tamed then it will be extremely lucrative.

One idea I have toyed with is indexing the value of each star with some combination of its economy/resources and the number of jumps present. Resources are worthless without trade routes and vice versa. We need a base that hugs both.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
Nyx is a bad idea as well, as there is a jump straight into Vanduul territory. Virgil. They might be pushing into Vega right now, but I don't think our base should be in a crossfire between the UEE and the Vanduul.
A good point. This puts Odin higher on the interest list. However, Vanduul incursions are not as likely there. Still a risk, though.

Aurora The Explorer

Rear Admiral
Donor
Sep 11, 2015
RSI Handle
AurThEx
I think we have to stop thinking of risky systems as a liability and accept that they're our best opportunity. Our chances of significantly impacting a major and stable system when 90% of the game are NPCs aren't great. especially not with other orgs attempting the same thing. Unsafe space is a liability because no one group has a sizeable control yet. That's not a limitation: That's our objective. We should definitely have operations in more secure space for our less risky members, but given TEST's grey morality we should embrace a neutral or contested system and make it our own.

At the very least we should establish a hold in Nyx or Pyro, even if neither are our HQ.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
I think we have to stop thinking of risky systems as a liability and accept that they're our best opportunity. Our chances of significantly impacting a major and stable system when 90% of the game are NPCs aren't great. especially not with other orgs attempting the same thing. Unsafe space is a liability because no one group has a sizeable control yet. That's not a limitation: That's our objective. We should definitely have operations in more secure space for our less risky members, but given TEST's grey morality we should embrace a neutral or contested system and make it our own.

At the very least we should establish a hold in Nyx or Pyro, even if neither are our HQ.
There aren't many suitable places next to pyro, so Odin with a hand in Nyx isn't a bad idea.

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
Here is my .02UEC....
Our home needs to be accessible to everyone in the Org., wether they want to put a hangar there or not. So, the low risk systems are out, due to high police/UEN presence, our pirate type members won't be able to make it without drawing an entire systems law enforcement down on our heads. And the high risk systems are out, lightly armed traders, new pilots, recently resurrected pilots in base ships will have a very hard time getting in without being shot to pieces. We need to find a system with at least 2 Jump Points, mid range security levels, and close to some major trading routes.
It will take some work, and a LOT of speculation, but I think we can do it.

Huegpaynis

Space Marshal
May 28, 2014
RSI Handle
Huegpaynis
What about croshaw? Asteroid belts, 2 habitable planets, it's near sol, and ahs several large jump points.
Stanton appeals to me as well, with plenty of celestial bodies to tool about to.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
In Eve, the most prevalent activity outside of corporate ops is ratting (combat missions vs. NPCs). It's way more popular than mining, manufacturing, or trade. You're not tied to a schedule, don't need to plan or think too much, you can go solo or with a small pickup group. In Eve the rats are everywhere so it's a minor consideration when choosing a home.

I get the feeling this won't be the case in Star Citizen - I don't expect opportunities for combat missions in safe space, or in newly discovered space. If we want to make this common activity readily available to Testes we should locate somewhere that's both accessible to our noobs and close to hostile aliens and/or pirates.

the star map is not loading for me, can't make a recommendation ATM

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
What about Goss? The Olympus pool nebula harbors pirate bases, and is not far from Terra.

Sintha

Space Marshal
Sep 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Sintha
I don't believe it is a good idea for a home base to be in a very hostile area especially if we have newbies that aren't in the guild yet trying to reach us.
i tend to agree, nothing super hostile. id rather not have to be on my guard while at home or make it too easy for others to cause us grief

Forgot your password?