Status
Not open for further replies.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
But... Guns are good. Even the poll is 71% to 29% in favor.

It has been stated so many times before Guns are not the problem, people are the problem. So remove people from the problem. Automate the guns and make sure everyone is aware of what triggers them and ta-daa! Peace in our time.

The only issue I could see is suicide by turret, where people wishing to end their lives intentionally activate them by acting in a way that would cause them to fire, however the US and places with other armed police forces already have "suicide by cop" so I would not expect the rate of instances to be much higher than at present with law inforcement.

I think this is the answer.

In Gun We Trust.
There is only 1 potential flaw with this. There will have to be a way for the weapon to be periodically cleaned & restocked with ammunition or it will eventually either run out of ammo or blow itself apart due to dealing with enough things triggering its activation.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
There is only 1 potential flaw with this. There will have to be a way for the weapon to be periodically cleaned & restocked with ammunition or it will eventually either run out of ammo or blow itself apart due to dealing with enough things triggering its activation.
We have CCTV networks installed and maintained and they are left to run unmonitored until evidence is required.

Further to that the police did a great job of maintaining the GATSO speed-camera network with film until it was updated to digital - they didn't seem to have an issue shooting with and reloading those cameras. Potentially we could have an Auto-Turret in every classroom, and Auto-Turret installed over the desk of every convenience store.

As for triggering enough, what is the current American gun deaths and injuries rate per year? 30,000? I expect that number to half in the first year. Second year down another 25% and third year I would expect it to be down to just 15% of the original figure. My main reasoning for gun crime not to be eradicated is that the parts of gun crime that are eradicated will be where the Auto-Turrets are. Populated, built up areas where people firing guns in public is a no-no. Gun crime would be pushed out in to unpopulated areas where there is a lower chance of innocent bystanders being caught up in things like shooting sprees.

In Gun We Trust.

Auto-Turret doesn't have to fire right away, it can warn, even release warning shots a few inches from the perpetrator to attempt to convince them to stop:

View: https://youtu.be/blzmPZ7ZNJc?t=15s

Reactions: Talonsbane

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
We have CCTV networks installed and maintained and they are left to run unmonitored until evidence is required.

Further to that the police did a great job of maintaining the GATSO speed-camera network with film until it was updated to digital - they didn't seem to have an issue shooting with and reloading those cameras. Potentially we could have an Auto-Turret in every classroom, and Auto-Turret installed over the desk of every convenience store.

As for triggering enough, what is the current American gun deaths and injuries rate per year? 30,000? I expect that number to half in the first year. Second year down another 25% and third year I would expect it to be down to just 15% of the original figure. My main reasoning for gun crime not to be eradicated is that the parts of gun crime that are eradicated will be where the Auto-Turrets are. Populated, built up areas where people firing guns in public is a no-no. Gun crime would be pushed out in to unpopulated areas where there is a lower chance of innocent bystanders being caught up in things like shooting sprees.

In Gun We Trust.

Auto-Turret doesn't have to fire right away, it can warn, even release warning shots a few inches from the perpetrator to attempt to convince them to stop:

View: https://youtu.be/blzmPZ7ZNJc?t=15s

In someways i imagine this is how things will go in the near future. The only downside is computer glitches and hackers for the lol's

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
In someways i imagine this is how things will go in the near future. The only downside is computer glitches and hackers for the lol's
Considering gun reform was not bought in after Sandyhook where a room full of children were murdered, I think Americas shoulders are broad enough to cope with a handful of isolated glitches in the early years of the software development. Being autonomous they could work offline only broadcasting data to hubs to ensure they are functioning and checking what they are doing, not receiving data so hacking would have to be done in person - and if anyone tries to interfere with an Auto-Turret it will be more than capable of defending itself: it has a gun.

On top of audio warnings and warning shots, they could have two magazines, less lethal Rubber Bullets (I would say "non-lethal" but even rubber bullets have killed people) and full metal lethal rounds with either a pre-set switchover when enough rubber rounds have been fired in a single incident (if the incident is still going after 2 rubbers it switches to metals) or an algorithm that lets the turret choose which should be used based on the events it monitors. (where is the shooter actually pointing the gun, has anyone actually been hit etc)

One interesting thing I have wondered is that the Second Amendment says "Bear Arms" - this wording suggests Americans are not permitted to own arms that they cannot personally wield? If so, are things like landmines not allowed in private ownership under the second amendment as they are not personally wielded? Logically following on from this, Auto-turrets would not be allowed in private ownership as they are not bought to bear, they guide themselves, so you wouldn't be tracked down the street by a turret on every porch like every house seems to have a motion activated security light these days. Autos would be official installations placed only where needed. Maybe only one on every street corner - the American Grid road layout in cities is perfect for this, one on every block corner and you could have 100% coverage it's like the Grid System was designed for it.

In Gun We Trust.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Considering gun reform was not bought in after Sandyhook where a room full of children were murdered, I think Americas shoulders are broad enough to cope with a handful of isolated glitches in the early years of the software development.
This plays into a very deep insecurity most people have and it is easily seen in its manifestation when people get on planes. They do not inherently like to give up control. When you think about the significant probability of dying on the way to the airport from a car crash over the possibility of being involved in a plane crash what scares them more? What is interesting is this is the same issue autonomous cars will be facing when they start to roll out in mass.

One interesting thing I have wondered is that the Second Amendment says "Bear Arms" - this wording suggests Americans are not permitted to own arms that they cannot personally wield?
There have been over a 100 years of debate as to what this means even going so far as to if it comes from a Latin or Greek historical word root.

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
Guns are a tool. Human beings are the thing I fear. Disgusting sweat and disease covered monsters whose mouth secretions can kill other creatures. And they sometimes stop functioning properly and hurt other creatures.
They're always shooting at me when I go hiking! Like, somehow, they think killing a furry woodland creature makes their genitals bigger!
I've taken to shaving daily and wearing a bright red hat. Now they think I'm one of them....

DragonHeart

Space Marshal
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
ATempest
With guns or without guns, people die or get seriously injured by any other weapon such as knifes, metal bars, and even cars.
And with psychopaths going around with ill obtained guns, I'd feel safer with a gun myself.

Disarming everyone doesn't solve a psycho problem, just makes people more vulnerable to them.
Criminals will always obtain weapons and conceal them from authority, regardless of gun bans.

However, I do believe there should be more strict gun laws, such as no automatic rifles, just hand guns would be enough.
And more screening, such as psych evaluations, and storage/carry laws.

But that's just my opinion, I'm sure everyone has their own point of view.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
Guns are a tool. Human beings are the thing I fear. Disgusting sweat and disease covered monsters whose mouth secretions can kill other creatures. And they sometimes stop functioning properly and hurt other creatures.
They're always shooting at me when I go hiking! Like, somehow, they think killing a furry woodland creature makes their genitals bigger!
I've taken to shaving daily and wearing a bright red hat. Now they think I'm one of them....
Might want to step that shaving up to thrice-daily mate.

Wolfy

Space Kitty
Donor
Apr 27, 2017
RSI Handle
WolfytheWarlock
With guns or without guns, people die or get seriously injured by any other weapon such as knifes, metal bars, and even cars.
And with psychopaths going around with ill obtained guns, I'd feel safer with a gun myself.

Disarming everyone doesn't solve a psycho problem, just makes people more vulnerable to them.
Criminals will always obtain weapons and conceal them from authority, regardless of gun bans.

However, I do believe there should be more strict gun laws, such as no automatic rifles, just hand guns would be enough.

But that's just my opinion, I'm sure everyone has their own point of view.
Hate to tell you, but automatic rifles have basically never been used to commit mass murder. They are largely out of the general public's hands as they are extremely cost prohibitive. Hand guns kill far, far more people than rifles every year.

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
Hate to tell you, but automatic rifles have basically never been used to commit mass murder. They are largely out of the general public's hands as they are extremely cost prohibitive. Hand guns kill far, far more people than rifles every year.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg5tQnYdZbQ

Might want to step that shaving up to thrice-daily mate.
My boss agrees with you. What he said was "I ORDER YOU TO STOP GROWING HAIR MID DAY PRIVATE SASQUATCH!"

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Are you implying I don't know anything about firearms? LOL And are you somehow implying Assault weapons were not created for military use? I suggest you look up the manufacturing of the AR 15, the weapons that were a direct variant of them. I've done the reading, I have handled the weapons personally with the exception of a full auto this video is pure anti gun control so its expected to be sarcastic and assume people don't know anything about them, sorry that is not me and nice try with the anti gun control video but I stand by my statements.

I will add this, I am not anti gun, I am a liberal and I own firearms, what I am anti is irresponsibility surrounding firearms and our society is about as ridiculous as you can get when it comes to firearms.

Now I could respond with a few dozen youtube video's showing clips of idiots handling firearms but what's the point, people have already been sold on some sort of "take all your guns" rhetoric by the NRA and the right and we all know this is not the truth this is just marketing, this is why every time we have a mass shooting with an assault weapon the sales go through the roof. This is why after the Las Vegas shooting bump stocks went through the roof, our society has proven time and time again whether its the innocent death of children at the hands of irresponsible gun owners or the mass shootings or even the suicide rate with firearms we are not mature enough to have a free for all when it comes to firearms.

Until that day comes I will support common sense gun laws that address both irresponsible gun owners and mental health.

Last edited:

DragonHeart

Space Marshal
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
ATempest

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Are you implying I don't know anything about firearms? LOL And are you somehow implying Assault weapons were not created for military use? I suggest you look up the manufacturing of the AR 15, the weapons that were a direct variant of them. I've done the reading, I have handled the weapons personally with the exception of a full auto this video is pure anti gun control so its expected to be sarcastic and assume people don't know anything about them, sorry that is not me and nice try with the anti gun control video but I stand by my statements.

I will add this, I am not anti gun, I am a liberal and I own firearms, what I am anti is irresponsibility surrounding firearms and our society is about as ridiculous as you can get when it comes to firearms.

Now I could respond with a few dozen youtube video's showing clips of idiots handling firearms but what's the point, people have already been sold on some sort of "take all your guns" rhetoric by the NRA and the right and we all know this is not the truth this is just marketing, this is why every time we have a mass shooting with an assault weapon the sales go through the roof. This is why after the Las Vegas shooting bump stocks went through the roof, our society has proven time and time again whether its the innocent death of children at the hands of irresponsible gun owners or the mass shootings or even the suicide rate with firearms we are not mature enough to have a free for all when it comes to firearms.

Until that day comes I will support common sense gun laws that address both irresponsible gun owners and mental health.
The point was you made multiple factually incorrect statements that had already been addressed in the thread and I was trying to be cordial about pointing that out.

Additionally, if your criteria for whether something should be illegal is determined by people posting videos of someone being stupid (and dangerous) with it then feet, bikes, skateboard, inline skates, motor vehicles, irons, couches, and a multitude of other items also need to be made illegal (many of these actually have a much higher annual death rate than firearms.)

AR-15s are not automatic rifles, no matter how many news agencies claim otherwise, it does not change the simple mechanics of it.

In order to be an automatic rifle it must fire repeatedly while the trigger is held. AR-15s only fire a single round when the trigger is squeezed, just like every other semi-automatic varmint rifle across the world (which is what an AR-15 is, a varmint rifle, because it uses the .223 Remington round, which is also called 5.56 but is a conventional versus metrics measurement.)

DragonHeart

Space Marshal
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
ATempest
The point was you made multiple factually incorrect statements that had already been addressed in the thread and I was trying to be cordial about pointing that out.

Additionally, if your criteria for whether something should be illegal is determined by people posting videos of someone being stupid (and dangerous) with it then feet, bikes, skateboard, inline skates, motor vehicles, irons, couches, and a multitude of other items also need to be made illegal (many of these actually have a much higher annual death rate than firearms.)

AR-15s are not automatic rifles, no matter how many news agencies claim otherwise, it does not change the simple mechanics of it.

In order to be an automatic rifle it must fire repeatedly while the trigger is held. AR-15s only fire a single round when the trigger is squeezed, just like every other semi-automatic varmint rifle across the world (which is what an AR-15 is, a varmint rifle, because it uses the .223 Remington round, which is also called 5.56 but is a conventional versus metrics measurement.)
Sure sounds like automatic fire to me.
But alright, whatever you say.

Reactions: Talonsbane

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Sounds like and is are two different things. From my understanding, the person used a bump stock (that was designed to help disabled people) to increase the rate of fire.

It still only fires once per pull of the trigger. The gun then uses part of the energy expended by burning the propellant to eject the old casing. After it is ejected, the mechanism will automatically load the next round from the magazine and the hammer will be in the cocked position, ready to fire again the next time the trigger is pulled.

With a bump stock and a light pull setting for the trigger, you could fire a weapon like this very fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgot your password?