Hercules military transport

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
I hope your correct, all prices seem to be higher than I expect for concept ships hence why I went with a high estimate. The vessel is much fatter than the caterpillar so it should hold more but it doesn't mean the extra volume is usable space.

The prowler a troop landing vessel (all be it with Alien tech) was only $425, so yeah not sure if it will be cheaper than that at least the m2 version.

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I haven't seen the promo materials so very limited to what I can guess, but just want to point out that the note of VTOL is probably a Red Herring. I can't think of any SC ships that don't have VTOL. There was special mention of the Prowler providing some sort of special VTOL ability but it has never seemed like more than rhetoric to me, since every Mustang and Aurora has VTOL. Could be the VTOL is just noting the variable geometry it has when it lands, tilting the main engine exhausts directly downward instead of relying upon maneuvering thrusters the way most birds do.

I'm excited there is a gunship variant. If it is faster than the Hammerhead, I'll be interested. It'll take a lot to win me off the Polaris, but this is the right size for me. I love all the Hammerhead's guns but I don't like the design at all--two main hallways and all that empty space just seems so inefficient to me I can't love it as much as I want to. The design makes it a much bigger target than it needs to be.

View: https://i.imgur.com/nruJDC6.mp4

I am in love with this general configuration. I love the delta shape. I love the smallish bridge--looks like just enough room for four. Don't love the limited view, and that is a serious problem the Polaris may excel in. Stuff that is important to me though concerns whether it can be fit with things like S2 sensors, enough engine to make it fast, rotation rates--for a true gunship you need fair maneuverability, and I always gotta ask, can it be fit for stealth? I am still lovin' the fast, stealthy EM Warfare platform. This could be the best for that yet.

Yeah, this could become my first love in SC. Very exciting! Due in 2020 I suppose. . .grrrr!

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
...just want to point out that the note of VTOL is probably a Red Herring. I can't think of any SC ships that don't have VTOL. There was special mention of the Prowler providing some sort of special VTOL ability but it has never seemed like more than rhetoric to me, since every Mustang and Aurora has VTOL.
Helicopters have VTOL but drink fuel doing it, a helicopter cuts its time in the sky drastically flying slowly or hovering. Harrier Jump Jets have their throttles high when hovering too (as you'd expect).

[Theroycraft=] Although every ship currently has the ability to VTOL in an atmosphere or gravity well, an Aurora or Constellation for example have propriety fans which will likely run off the energy generator to hover rather than burning fuel, meaning you don't loose any valuable fuel while hanging in the sky, but will have to juggle your shield/weapons power usage to ensure you don't run out of energy for something...[/Theorycraft]

Its currently looking like the aim is to make the more dedicated fighters shorter-range for balance over their potency in being able to knock ships out of the sky... they may not even have the ability to replenish fuel with scoops, so if they go into a hover they may be sitting on borrowed time... Aerodynamic flight might be the key for those ships to keep efficiently chugging along... or they may be better off staying in space and dedicated air-craft may be the ticket of the day once you get below the clouds.

Last edited:

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I think it's gonna be expensive. It aint gonna be Cat price, the cat's a pile 'o' shite compared to this beauty!!!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Everything I have right now is all due to the skillset I gained working on C-130 gunships. Literally, my blood sweat and tears are on those planes and I love to brag about it! Pride is the keyword here. AC-130's and the HH-60's of Jolly Green. You can bet I'll be getting one of these!
I love the Spooky/Spectre/Stinger/Ghostrider. One of my partners' sons is flying AC-130s in Afghanistan right now. The thing they all seem to have in common is long duration, extended range flight, and at least one big-ass gun mounted where you would normally put cargo.

Those turret mounts look like twin S5 or S6, so if there is a gun of some sort filling the inside of the cargo area, it is well to wonder if some crazy person at SC put a spinal mount in there. That would be friggin' awesome on a platter! But without it, minimum 6 S5 guns firing forward is more directed firepower than anything smaller than the Hammerhead. If they made the thing agile when not hauling cargo, that would be enough for me.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Looks like the base model has 4, S3 remote turrets. The Military transport adds a single S3 chin mount. The gunship adds 4 more turrets some of which are S4 and S5.

They balanced the ship by limiting the arc of fire from the turrets, so the three forward facing turrets cannot fire on the same target when it is significantly off center line, and a single player cannot control all the turrets himself (as always).

Not loving these choices, especially in light of what was done with the Hammerhead, which seems this gunship's closest comparison. This ship will have better cargo and range, but it should have better guns, IMHO. S3 mounts are too small for a ship this size, but these are the kinds of things prone to change so who knows? The thing for me is, what can you put in the bird? What can you install in all that cargo space beyond ordinance? Can you turn the gunboat into an exploration ship, EM Warfare platform, stealth incursion platform, etc.?

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-adk-adk_sbnt&hsimp=yhs-adk_sbnt&hspart=adk&p=Star+Citizen+Starlifter#id=2&vid=8e81224ecdef682db51da8f00e9c4f9f&action=view

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Looks like the base model has 4, S3 remote turrets. The Military transport adds a single S3 chin mount. The gunship adds 4 more turrets some of which are S4 and S5.

They balanced the ship by limiting the arc of fire from the turrets, so the three forward facing turrets cannot fire on the same target when it is significantly off center line, and a single player cannot control all the turrets himself (as always).

Not loving these choices, especially in light of what was done with the Hammerhead, which seems this gunship's closest comparison. This ship will have better cargo and range, but it should have better guns, IMHO. S3 mounts are too small for a ship this size, but these are the kinds of things prone to change so who knows? The thing for me is, what can you put in the bird? What can you install in all that cargo space beyond ordinance? Can you turn the gunboat into an exploration ship, EM Warfare platform, stealth incursion platform, etc.?

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-adk-adk_sbnt&hsimp=yhs-adk_sbnt&hspart=adk&p=Star+Citizen+Starlifter#id=2&vid=8e81224ecdef682db51da8f00e9c4f9f&action=view

They said in the ATV that most of the guns are going to be primarily aimed down as its intended to be more of a drop ship specter gun ship. So I get the impression its focus is more on ground combat enabling troops to quickly deploy tanks, buggies and personal near the front line assault on a base and provide cover and softening up the target with the MOAB's.

So I fully expect the guns to be scaled not against ships like the Hammerhead or Polaris but against ground troops, buggies, mechs, tanks and base weapons.

With that said I would recommend those who want to primarily defend or engage other ships to pick up a hammerhead but for those interested in the ground warfare aspect of the game this will be an amazing addition to the logistics and support role.

Other things to take into consideration is the future development of ship fuel as its going to greatly effect what ships are more effective near planets vs out in space.

While most ships will be able to operate in and around a planets atmosphere some will benefit greatly from having wings and VTOL allowing them a longer operational window while ships like the Hammerhead will need to burn lots of fuel to stay airborne.

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
for all your tonky needs
If they make a C/W version, will we be able to go honky - TONKin'?
Just askin'

So whatcha gonna do with the Idris then? Hehe
Can a 100 meter ship fit in an Idris? Having a Hercules flying out of an Idris following a group of fighters would be an scary sight.

Forgot your password?