The Return to the Good Star Wars

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I genuinely don't care what happened in the animation.
I'd reccomed you read the books by Timothy Zahn, the creator of Thrawn. They are The one and only definitive continuation of the original trilogy and really worth your time.
Rebels was written by Filoni and Lucas. It has whatever authority anything Star Wars can.

So how did you get such an indefatigable image in your mind about Thrawn? From the cover of a paperback? Those blue guys all look the same to me.

If you don’t watch Rebels you’ll never understand the details of the timeline you were pointing out. They all make sense.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
That still looks to me like blue Elon lol

And yes I do get my image of him from multiple, and even recent, covers of books involving Thrawn. Including the one named Thrawn, the latest (I think?) book about his early years written by Zahn. It's a rgood looking white cover with his face on it, very modern, very Apple, looks important lol
Regardless his look has been consistent on a covers throughout the years. Oh, and also, TIE FIGHTER! The old video game! Looks consistent with the book covers.

But it's also a rather decent book, kind of a detective/thriller vibes if I recall correctly. I made my wife read it and she liked it, even though she slightly dislikes SW in general, especially the EU, the writing and translation was good enough to make her carry on and finish it. That's a thumbs up in my book lol

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I liked the semi-skeletal look and utterly creepy voice they used in Rebels. He’s portrayed as someone to be very afraid of, and as Filoni noted: Vader is someone for hero’s to be afraid of. Thrawn is someone for everyone to be afraid of.

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I guess we’ll see. The primary objection seems to be the lack of a male lead. Yet there are story-centric reasons one would not want to show Ezra in the trailer. Currently his condition is a mystery. He disappeared along with Thrawn, and the rumors reaching Ahsoka are that Thrawn is back. So where is Ezra? That’s the mystery. Answering this in the trailer would be counterproductive.

As to Sabine Wren, I think the jury is still out. While I’m surprised it seems she’s Ahsoka’s Padawan, I’m not entirely sure she’ll succeed. During her light Sabre training with Caleb she demonstrated no Force powers. I would not be too shocked if she fails as Ahsoka’s apprentice and Ezra takes her place.

As to the charge that Filoni doesn’t understand family, I think that’s just this guy looking for work. The entire point of Rebels was that this crew aboard the Ghost is a family. Family themes permeate each of the character’s story arcs. Every one of them save Caleb have their family explored in depth, and Caleb gains a new family when he reincarnates and is no longer a Jedi. Jedi are themselves always presented without families.

I just think that certainly, if it turns out Filoni is a closet radical feminist who is trying to sneak this message in that the Force is female, yeah; that would suck. I also think that’s a childish supposition. There’s no reason to posit such a thing. Filoni and Favreau write great male characters. So what is the childish supposition all about?

Personally, I wanna know when we’re gonna get more Zeb. If you’ll recall, Zeb was mortal enemies with Agent Kallus, who then left the Empire, joined the Rebellion as the spy Fulcrum, and later the two leave the story as close friends. We should expect to see both Zeb and Kallus in the future. They’re both great characters.

View: https://youtu.be/15rsil_T-Qo

For those who don’t know, Zeb was the Captain of the Honor Guard that Kallus wiped out when he killed almost everyone on Zeb’s homeworld. An entire episode of Rebels portrays the transformation of the two from enemies to friends. The deciding factor is that Zeb has a family on the Ghost, and Kallus is bereft of all such benefit on his Imperial Star Destroyer. No one there cares about anyone else. THAT observation about what makes family is what drives the drama between these two.

View: https://youtu.be/8cfY_fA7V3w

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I guess we’ll see. The primary objection seems to be the lack of a male lead. Yet there are story-centric reasons one would not want to show Ezra in the trailer. Currently his condition is a mystery. He disappeared along with Thrawn, and the rumors reaching Ahsoka are that Thrawn is back. So where is Ezra? That’s the mystery. Answering this in the trailer would be counterproductive.

As to Sabine Wren, I think the jury is still out. While I’m surprised it seems she’s Ahsoka’s Padawan, I’m not entirely sure she’ll succeed. During her light Sabre training with Caleb she demonstrated no Force powers. I would not be too shocked if she fails as Ahsoka’s apprentice and Ezra takes her place.

As to the charge that Filoni doesn’t understand family, I think that’s just this guy looking for work. The entire point of Rebels was that this crew aboard the Ghost is a family. Family themes permeate each of the character’s story arcs. Every one of them save Caleb have their family explored in depth, and Caleb gains a new family when he reincarnates and is no longer a Jedi. Jedi are themselves always presented without families.

I just think that certainly, if it turns out Filoni is a closet radical feminist who is trying to sneak this message in that the Force is female, yeah; that would suck. I also think that’s a childish supposition. There’s no reason to posit such a thing. Filoni and Favreau write great male characters. So what is the childish supposition all about?

Personally, I wanna know when we’re gonna get more Zeb. If you’ll recall, Zeb was mortal enemies with Agent Kallus, who then left the Empire, joined the Rebellion as the spy Fulcrum, and later the two leave the story as close friends. We should expect to see both Zeb and Kallus in the future. They’re both great characters.

View: https://youtu.be/15rsil_T-Qo

For those who don’t know, Zeb was the Captain of the Honor Guard that Kallus wiped out when he killed almost everyone on Zeb’s homeworld. An entire episode of Rebels portrays the transformation of the two from enemies to friends. The deciding factor is that Zeb has a family on the Ghost, and Kallus is bereft of all such benefit on his Imperial Star Destroyer. No one there cares about anyone else. THAT observation about what makes family is what drives the drama between these two.

View: https://youtu.be/8cfY_fA7V3w
The primary objection is poor writing.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Just watched a clip of a guy in Disneyland streaming the lightsaber build. It's a pretty neat experience if you ignore the presenter namedorpping Rey on the same level as Luke or Yoda...
but having to pay 240usd after he bought the highest priced most extra super VIP ticket which was like over a thousand bucks, or even over 2k or something ridiculous? wtf...
No wonder it's all gone into the red. Sure I get it you gonna spend a lot of money there if you get the normal or even the "skip the line" ticket, but he payed for the "skip the guys that pay for skipping the line" level. I thought trivial shit like that would've been included in that price at least....
Greed is understandable in a place like that, but there is such a thing as being too greedy.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Just watched a clip of a guy in Disneyland streaming the lightsaber build. It's a pretty neat experience if you ignore the presenter namedorpping Rey on the same level as Luke or Yoda...
but having to pay 240usd after he bought the highest priced most extra super VIP ticket which was like over a thousand bucks, or even over 2k or something ridiculous? wtf...
No wonder it's all gone into the red. Sure I get it you gonna spend a lot of money there if you get the normal or even the "skip the line" ticket, but he payed for the "skip the guys that pay for skipping the line" level. I thought trivial shit like that would've been included in that price at least....
Greed is understandable in a place like that, but there is such a thing as being too greedy.
While yes from our standpoint the price seems ridiculous. The economic side says that even if attendance drops is your still taking in more money the before the price hike then you were not greedy enough. Especially given park size does put a limit on the number of attendance so it's a limited commodity.

I know places like burning man attempt to limit their greed by putting attendance to a lotto system weighted by those who are part of teams building attractions but even here there is grumbling by those who used to be able to go every year no longer able to and others who are just unlucky and have not yet gotten a chance.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I think if you want to judge the Ahsoka character, you need to go back and see her in Clone Wars and Rebels. Originally fans complained as they often do that she’s not an adult and not intended to appeal to adult audiences. However, this is a recurring theme with Lucas. Think how young Luke was in A New Hope.

Nothing about Ahsoka reminds of modern feminism. She is always respectful of others. She’s not concerned about appearances, taking credit, nor any other narcissistic nuances. She’s humble and it was her humility that drove her to leave the Jedi in their hubris.

So she’s not a product of today’s feminism. She was created by a guy who hasn’t anything sociology-political to say, same as the Ezra Bridger character, Sabine Wren, etc.

So I see no reasons to believe the Ahsoka series will carry the radical, hatemongering narcissism of current wave feminism. It’s more like 1960’s Gloria Steinem and the National Organization for Women kinda feminism which is okay by me. That means female superhero’s have to be agile rather than twenty times stronger than men. I can handle that. Two light sabres is cool and all that. . .

If you really want a line on the character, look at how she relates to Caleb in Rebels, alternately deferring to and collaborating with him as an equal despite she is obviously much more advanced. That’s a mark of humility, not modern day feminist hubris.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Here’s some fascinating analysis of some of what is happening in Hollywood right now with what has become the biggest debacle in 60 years—the current writers strike. Just a minute or so in where we have Ron Perlman threatening Bob Iger I knew I needed to post it here.

What seemed to me even more important and revealing is the record of when the top 100 movies were made. Each decade is broken down separately. The 50’s won by a large margin.

The thing that gripped me about this is the truckload of complaints I’ve seen over the years and never agreed with. So many Hollywood types I count quite bright, love to complain about movies made in the 50’s; so how did they win so many awards?

If you’re not familiar, Hollywood types like Quentin Tarantino get very emotional when they complain about movies from the 50’s. That was the decade famous for “classic” stories where the good guys are good and the bad guys are bad. Tarantino and others hate this, yet that environment, that culture, that situation and the world view of the time produced more top films than any other.

I’m a huge fan of 50’s classic swashbucklers. Against All Flags. The Black Shield of Falworth. Prince Valiant. Especially, The Black Swan. These are some of the greatest films ever made.

Thing is, despite life in the 50’s is presented as traditional, the films mix up good and bad far better than films today. Instead of trying to convince the audience that bad people can do good things, they illustrate how bad people become good people.

If you want to see a fabulous study of how the love of a good woman turns the life around of a bad man, go no further than The Black Swan. In about 90 minutes, you’ll see a Pirate so bad he simply dumps women on the floor like a sack of potatoes when he gets distracted. This is stuff you can’t make today and it’s hysterical. Through and through the film is refreshingly honest and hopeful for the human condition. It’s truly great storytelling.

Anyway, here’s the short discussion of Hollywood that set me off:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
For those interested, here’s one of the greatest films ever made, that almost all Hollywood types love to hate. Keep an ear out for the single greatest line delivered in film history, around 46m in, in response to the query, “Will you lend a hand, Tommy?”

View: https://youtu.be/wflu6wgzCSc

Last edited:
Forgot your password?