“She represents what the Jedi should be, and what it might be again.”

The hero we need.

Mary Sue is not a character we need.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Fan reviews from the early screenings are saying it’s good. Very little negative feedback seemingly centered around the fact some fans are not familiar with Ahsoka’s back story, so get less benefit. I don’t see a way around that.
Quite a few comments lauding the choice of actor for Sabine Wren, apparently loving the portrayal. Big surprise for me.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
It's not terrible but I have to agree with the drinker on this one it's just kind of meh.

i mean i was excited when it look like they had the cahoonas to have killer someone important only to jump to the second and its just an easily healed wound when in the past movies it was so much more. The graphics are great even if everything is way to clean.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
It's not terrible but I have to agree with the drinker on this one it's just kind of meh.

i mean i was excited when it look like they had the cahoonas to have killer someone important only to jump to the second and its just an easily healed wound when in the past movies it was so much more. The graphics are great even if everything is way to clean.
I thought the pacing was tedious. The dialog, when there was dialog, was both poorly written and poorly delivered. The saber fights were poorly choreographed. The characters just weren't likable. The amount of retcon required was high.

What a waste of David Tenant's, and Ray Stevenson's talents.

I rate it below Kenobi and Mandalorian season 3, on par with Boba Fett, and above Andor.

Mark my words, everyone but the most extreme whackos will love this. She’s the hero we all need.
She isn't even the hero of her own show.

I guess I'm an extreme whacko, because, IMHO, it sucked. It's 2 hours I want back. Not one of the characters is anything I need, want or even asked for.

I've been a Star Wars fan since 1977 and this crap was written by someone that doesn't understand Star Wars.

• o7

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
So Ahsoka had 14M views for the premier, most of anything on Disney+. Can’t say people aren’t hoping it will succeed. OTOH, complaints seem to be:
a) too slow paced (common to all TV serials)
b) no emotion coming from Ahsoka (seems too early to say. The actress is fine.)
c) this is another Disney bait and switch and is actually another girl-power platform, focused not on Ahsoka but on Sabine (too early to say).

As noted previously, I don’t have Disney + so I’ll be binge watching after the season concludes, over at my brother’s place. I am still hopeful but the girl power theme is fatiguing. Rebels was all about Ezra. Ahsoka should be all about Ahsoka, not Sabine.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
So Ahsoka had 14M views for the premier, most of anything on Disney+. Can’t say people aren’t hoping it will succeed. OTOH, complaints seem to be:
c) this is another Disney bait and switch and is actually another girl-power platform, focused not on Ahsoka but on Sabine (too early to say).

As noted previously, I don’t have Disney + so I’ll be binge watching after the season concludes, over at my brother’s place. I am still hopeful but the girl power theme is fatiguing. Rebels was all about Ezra. Ahsoka should be all about Ahsoka, not Sabine.
I don't have D+ and can't be bothered to torrent anything these days, it's just not worth my time and risk, so I'll be skipping this one probably, unless my normie friends convince me otherwise. So far, I heard the same mixed reviews from them.
Again, this is what I was told, no idea about how true it is, you'll see it in time...

a) is not necessarily true. 'memba the good times, when we had fun TV shows? Firefly, Chuck, BSG, Heroes (s1)... then theres modern hits, like Stranger Things. All started out with a first 1-2 episodes that went all out to capture your attention, then meandered into filler episodes. As it should be. All I'm hearing from my normie friends is that Ashoka manages to be more slow than Andor (which they actually really enjoyed), without any of the interest or intrigue, sadly. But, ofc we will have to judge for ourselves.
b) as little as I remember her from the cartoons, she was always very flamboyant, quick to jump to action, and had all her emotions written on her face. You could try to chalk up the emotionless behavior, which she has already portrayed in Mando, to character growth. I'd think that's stretch, but whatever, could still fit the theme...
c) well, according to drinker and the rest, it is. No idea if it is, but it's the mouse, so I wouldn't be surprised if it really is true.

If it turns out they absolutely massacre my boi, as in assassinate Thrawn's character as I expect them to, this will be yet another show I won't ever watch, and probably won't ever care about a SW title ever again, unless D sells it off. I expected that to happen in Mando when they namedropped him, but it was silly of me to think a man would get to fight and beat him, ofc it has to be a wamen that puts him in his place, because Disney.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

1.2m US households release plus 5. Comparing Apples to Apples, on par with Andor, half of Kenobi, less than Mandalorian Season 3 and Boba Fett.
Nobody has any idea where Disney got that number but the claim is most on Disney that week.

You left out Episode 3 retconned the entire IP.

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
You left out Episode 3 retconned the entire IP.
I'm going to elaborate on this. Episode one and two retconned parts of Clone Wars and Rebels, not a big deal for most fans.

Episode 3 retconned one of the most important parts of all 9, not just the first 6, of the base movies, the Clone Wars, Kenobi and Rebels.

You don't have to be force sensitive, or have any ability, at all to use the force, anyone can become a Jedi.

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
One of the best episodes and scenes in Rebels is when Caleb is teaching Sabine to use a light sabre. I think Dave must have been trying to build on that success when he put Ezra’s sabre in her hands. Could be a buildup for when Ezra returns, but Dave should have been aware that with no male protagonists showing thus far, he’s opened himself up to some criticism.
Let’s hope Ezra’s return makes a big splash and doesn’t take three seasons to see. Once he’s back, the story is a lot less about Ahsoka, so there’s that.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
One of the best episodes and scenes in Rebels is when Caleb is teaching Sabine to use a light sabre. I think Dave must have been trying to build on that success when he put Ezra’s sabre in her hands. Could be a buildup for when Ezra returns, but Dave should have been aware that with no male protagonists showing thus far, he’s opened himself up to some criticism.
Let’s hope Ezra’s return makes a big splash and doesn’t take three seasons to see. Once he’s back, the story is a lot less about Ahsoka, so there’s that.
The main criticism is that the story, to date, is poorly written, poorly directed, and dismally paced, plus it retcons one of the biggest parts of Star Wars.

Given the money Disney doesn't have to spend, Season 2 seems really unlikely. If this were regular TV, and the UK tax credits wouldn't have to be returned, this would already be cancelled.

It really is that bad. I'm going to have to be really bored to watch another episode.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Well Richard, those were your complaints before the series aired. Forgive I don’t think your opinions on this in any way enlightened. You whine about absolutely fucking everything. Doesn’t mean a thing except maybe see a proctologist. I sympathize. My piles have piles.

About Disney at large, word is KK offered Gina Carrano an olive branch to come back and lead the Rangers cast, with promises that Rangers would go ten episodes and have the highest budget of any Disney series to date. That last is significant. Keep in mind that George spent hundreds of millions of dollars to try to make live action Star Wars series happen, despite everyone told him it would be too expensive. He spent more than two decades, and never pulled it off. On top of this add that with so many recent failures, Disney is busy axing projects. So to promise a new one with the biggest budget yet is huge.

Its even huger that Gina turned Disney down. Who turns down Disney when they ask you to lead their best funded project ever? Apparently, Gina Carrano. Shades of Jonny Depp telling Disney to suck it when they offered Pirates 6; after letting him go over the Amber Heard debacle. Good for both Depp and Carrano.

That girl has balls of solid brass. OTOH, maybe she just doesn’t want her livelihood to be vulnerable to the temperamental meddling of a post menopausal, ideological freak who has butt fucked her company for fifteen years; and would rather just sit back and watch all the feminazi bullshit stall-spin-crash-burn-die.

Last edited:

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Well Richard, those were your complaints before the series aired. Forgive I don’t think your opinions on this in any way enlightened. You whine about absolutely fucking everything. Doesn’t mean a thing except you need a shorter leash.

About Disney at large, word is KK offered Gina Carrano an olive branch to come back and lead the Rangers cast, with promises that Rangers would go ten episodes and have the highest budget of any Disney series to date. That last is significant. Keep in mind that George spent hundreds of millions of dollars to try to make live action Star Wars series happen, despite everyone told him it would be too expensive. He spent more than two decades, and never pulled it off. On top of this add that with so many recent failures, Disney is busy axing projects. So to promise a new one with the biggest budget yet is huge.

Its even huger that Gina turned Disney down. Who turns down Disney when they ask you to lead their best funded project ever? Apparently, Gina Carrano. Shades of Jonny Depp telling Disney to suck it when they offered Pirates 6; after letting him go over the Amber Heard debacle. Good for both Depp and Carrano.

That girl has balls of solid brass. OTOH, maybe she just doesn’t want her livelihood to be vulnerable to the temperamental meddling of a post menopausal, ideological freak who has butt fucked her company for fifteen years; and would rather just sit back and watch all the feminazi bullshit stall-spin-crash-burn-die.
My prediction as to what would happen, happened. I'm not alone in that sentiment. Even the biggest fans have complained about the pacing.

Have you even watched the first three episodes yet?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
No Richard, but having written for the screen I can tell you that all Hollywood screen scripts are written by formula and include precisely measured amounts of narrative, character development, wowies (usually action scenes but anything that grabs the audience) and yes, what feels like slow pace but is serving one of these ends. Slow pace has many uses, and if you were to graph out the significant acts over unit time of these shows and compare them to say The Expanse, you’d find they’re essentially identical.

What I have seen is 15 years of Dave Filoni’s work. It’s excellent. He’s the perfect Padawan for George Lucas. So when you say you don’t like the pacing, writing and directing; just means you don’t like Star Wars.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
So, until you've seen it, your opinion as to the merits of the show don't have any meaning.

Watch it, then tell me where I got it wrong.

And, as a Star Wars fan, you will be asking, by the end of episode 3, what the fuck were they thinking?

Forgot your password?