Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Sad news today

1596137532092.png

He was diagnosed two weeks after attending the rally, so its not confirmed that he got it there, but its plausible with a two week incubation period before his symptoms got bad.

1596136989162.png

Reactions: Radegast74

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today Thursday 30th of July:

- UK: Figures reveal England suffered highest excess Deaths Above Average than any other European country.

- UK: Self Isolation requirement of 7 days extended to 10 as evidence indicates even after recovery subjects can still be contagious.

- US: President Trump suggests postponing 2020 election as requirement for mail-in voting due to the virus could cause fraud.

- Australia: Victoria reports worst rise in cases and deaths so far.

- Paraguay: Protests erupt after areas ordered in to lockdown.

- Germany: Economy sees sharpest decline on record.

- Northern Ireland: Contact tracking app released to public.

- UK/Spain: Following new UK quarantine rules on returning from Spain and warnings not to travel there in the first place, package holiday company Jet2 advises its customers currently in Spain to return to the UK immediately.

- UK: one third of furloughed workers already back at work.

- US: New Jersey considers releasing 20% of prisoners as it sees the highest rate of transmission and deaths behind bars.

- Icaland: Lockdown restrictions being put back in place after easing resulted in more cases.

Radegast74

Grand Admiral
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
<snip>

He was diagnosed two weeks after attending the rally, so its not confirmed that he got it there, but its plausible with a two week incubation period before his symptoms got bad.

View attachment 18242
Interesting, remember the story about them peeling off all the social distancing stickers from the seats? Honestly, i don't think stickers would have changed anybody's behavior, their stance towards COVID and not taking it seriously was already pretty well-established.

I guess this is something we can all learn from...one of those "teachable moments" so to speak.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Interesting, remember the story about them peeling off all the social distancing stickers from the seats? Honestly, i don't think stickers would have changed anybody's behavior, their stance towards COVID and not taking it seriously was already pretty well-established.

I guess this is something we can all learn from...one of those "teachable moments" so to speak.
Perhaps the phrase "Learning opportunity" should be added to those "Office speak translation" lists, where "Kind Regards" means "Go F yourself" - with "Learning opportunity" meaning "Scrabbling to get something of worth from the shitshow that just happened"...?

Unfortunately during these troubling times, the cost of the lesson is lives - and sometimes the ones who most need to learn the lesson are not always the ones paying for it with their own.

EDIT - I just re read my second paragraph above and it reads like I'm saying some people should kop it. I'm not saying that, but can't think of a way to reword it and it's just so damn poetic I think I'll leave it that way with this disclaimer instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radegast74

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today Friday 31st of July:

- World: Total number of cases passes 17 million, we passed 16 million on Sunday so again that's a million confirmed cases in the last 4/5 days.

- UK: Restrictions reinstated in some parts of North West England including Manchester, as cases start to climb again. Prime Minister announces other easing of restrictions such as allowing crowds of spectators at sports events and opening indoor venues like theaters put on hold for another two weeks to see how the situation develops, and advises face coverings will be required in more indoor areas such as cinemas and other places.

1596211802792.png

- US: Senior Republicans advise President no, there will be no delay to the 2020 elections in November.

- World: World Health Organization holds meeting to analyze and discuss the first 30 days if their reaction to COVID-19.

- Vietnam: Records first COVID death.

- Japan: Tokyo on verge of announcing a state of emergency if cases continue to raise.

- US: Florida records its highest death told at 257 in the last 24 hours, crushing hopes that second phase of the first wave being mainly young people would see fewer deaths. It has now been four days in a row where the record has been broken.

- India: At least nine people die after eating/drinking hand sanitizer, alcohol has been in short supply since lockdown started however sanitizer is plentiful, but not suitable for consumption.

- France: Cases rise 54% in a week.

- Poland: Record number of new daily cases.

- World: Reports indicates over a quarter of early COVID cases had travel links to just three countries, Italy (27%), China (22%) and Iran (11%).

Bambooza

Grand Admiral
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I am honestly suprized by Iran being on the list of countries with the highest spread. I would have expected the UAE given its huge hub for international travel.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant

• o7

Radegast74

Grand Admiral
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Here's a good example of what I don't think people are aware of --> what the healthcare workers are going through in a hospital. This is the Achilles heel of our response, if the hospitals get overrun, and healthcare workers don't have enough PPE or are exhausted, then the death rates will shoot up...

Worth noting, at the end of the photo-article, Dr. Varon states:
“People are calling my office and leaving threats because of all the media I’ve been doing, because they don’t believe that what we're doing is real,” he said.

Varon wants people to see: This is not a hoax. This is a real thing. People are dying.

“You have no idea my frustration when I leave the hospital, I’m heading home, and then in one of these outdoor malls I see a hundred cars, a bunch of young guys or young women having a party — no face masks, no nothing. That kills me,” he said. “People are not listening.”
(Also note...they have to put on PPE and wear it all day...and then get work done...if you think about how we all run around the stations in SC and don't change out of our flight suits because it's "too hard," or because "it takes 15 extra seconds," think about having to do your job all day (for 12-14 hours) wearing a crappy outer suit).

Aramsolari

Vice Admiral
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Here's a good example of what I don't think people are aware of --> what the healthcare workers are going through in a hospital. This is the Achilles heel of our response, if the hospitals get overrun, and healthcare workers don't have enough PPE or are exhausted, then the death rates will shoot up...

Worth noting, at the end of the photo-article, Dr. Varon states:

(Also note...they have to put on PPE and wear it all day...and then get work done...if you think about how we all run around the stations in SC and don't change out of our flight suits because it's "too hard," or because "it takes 15 extra seconds," think about having to do your job all day (for 12-14 hours) wearing a crappy outer suit).
I know in certain countries, they've reduced the use of air conditioners in hospitals because there's evidence that the virus spreads easier in an air conditioned environment.

Imagine 12-14 hour work days in hot humid conditions while wearing PPE with no AC. Yikes.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today Saturday 1st of August:

- UK: Government announces to repoen schools pubs and bars may need to close again to offset the increased transmission rate.

- US: $600 unemployment aid ends as talks between Republicans and Democrats fail to conclude in time, however talks continue. Apparently the sticking point is Republicans want the aid to be less.

- UK: Furlough Scheme begins to be phased out with firms and businesses being asked to shoulder some of the cost - starting with National Insurance and Pension payments starting August, then 10% of the cost September, and 20% of the cost in October with the scheme closing at the end of October.

- Germany: Mass "day of freedom" protest in Berlin as citizens claim their rights are being eroded.

- Russia: Announces clinical trials for its vaccine are over and mass vaccination will begin in October starting with teachers.

- France/Poland: Cases continue to rise.

- Vietnam: City of Danang to test whole population to battle outbreak.

- Belgium: Number of confirmed cases doubles in one week with an average of 448 new cases a day.

- US: Largest oil refiner by volume in the USA to close two refineries following downturn in demand for fuel caused by COVID-19

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today Sunday 2nd of August:

- Australia: Spike in community transmissions sees hard restrictions back in Melbourne as COVID runs wild once again.

- UAE / Iran: COVID brings the two countries together for rare talks which were reportedly friendly and productive.

- US: Florida reports 7,104 new cases while testing stations close with tropical storm Isaias drawing near.

- India: Records 55k new cases in 24 hours.

- US: Records 58,947 new cases in 24 hours.

- Mexico: Sees another record rise in daily reported cases after overtaking UK to third place for total COVID deaths yesterday.

- UK: Manchester announces major incident and holds crisis meetings to plan response to rising cases.

- Germany: 18 police officers injured as they try to disperse lockdown protests.

- Philippines: President to chair meeting with his cabinet as a letter from 80 organizations lead by the College of Physicians sent to him stating that the country is "loosing the battle" against the virus.

- UK: Following reports a leading scientist suggested pubs and bars could close so schools can reopen, government spokesman says "We don't have any plans to do that" which is a shame because it sounded like a good idea considering cases are climbing once again and if the country goes into lockdown again the bars and pubs will be closed anyway.

- US: Fauci, the countries top infectious disease expert, advised Congress "the disparity between the outbreak in the US and those of European countries can be attributed to the extent lockdown measures were introduced." and that most European countries shut their economies down by 95%, while the US only closed its economy by half. President Trump responds by Tweet that this is wrong and again said that it was because more tests = more cases.

Forgot your password?