Clearly our home should be orion.

Haggle

Commander
Donor
Nov 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Haggle
From the RSI stretch goals page:

"Located near the fringe of Banu space, Tamsa System features a massive central star that has collapsed into a black hole. Evidence suggests that there were at least two more planets in the system when the star collapsed before the ensuing black hole engulfed them. Only two planets remain in the system, a chthonian world and a gas giant located far from the black hole’s event horizon. Initial surveys indicate that the two outer planets are slowly being pulled towards the black hole, leaving the two as a risky proposition at best for any sort of colonization."

Fringe of Banu Space? Held together by a black hole? Risky proposition at best to colonize? Sounds right up our alley.

Reactions: CrimsonCyclist

Captin_Chewie

Vice Admiral
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Captin_Chewie
Pretty sure anyone can infiltrate us. So it doesn't matter. There is one constant: "mess with the bull, you get the horns".

That is to say, you'd have to be immensely stupid to pick a fight with an army of drunks.
Hey............ that is "well armed army of drunks, with lots of friends." Thank you!

Vimes

Captain
Dec 6, 2015
RSI Handle
VIIMES
The thing is, this wont be EvE i.e only one instance per area, EvE can hold thousands of player in the same area while SC can hold at max 100 players (and that is a optimistic number, personally i havent seen RSI mention over 50 players in the same instance) in the same area.

This will mean that if 90 test members are in the same instance, you leave room for 10 enemies to enter your instance/area. So basically you can setup shop anywhere and you wont be threathened wherever you choose to fly out from.

I think its wise that we are looking for a home allready in SC, but i think we will have to start think more about game mechanics aswell, if the game loads up a new instance of an area when it hits 100 players then theres going to be insane amount of copies of the same areas, and who can control a system then`? noone can.

How they are planning to setup a Persistant Universe with so many instanses/copies of the same area is a bit beyond me actually. Guild X claims control of Nyx System, Guild Y claims the same, they both have control of their instances, but the guilds cant see eachoter.

And the Idea of having a moving fleet as home base is a good one, alltough in order for that to work, then it has to be divided over several instances aswell.

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Terra Prime

1. It is a well defended system/planet. (Minimal time and resources to protect/defend)
2. It is close to both Xi'an and Banu systems. (Great for trading and developing relations/info)
3. Earth WILL be attacked by the Vanduul with 1 year after the launch of the PU.
4. Terra Prime WILL become to center of the UEE Government and thus a perfect (and safe) base of operations.
(Also, future residence of Senator @Montoya)
5. It is only 1 jump from the Stanton system which is the Economic backbone of the UEE. (Excellent trading/profits etc)

It has some other 'Benefits' that I am not prepared to discuss at this time. (At least not openly)

Anyway, you ask for our opinions. This is mine for whatever it is worth.

Alexeyevich

Vice Admiral
Dec 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Alexeyevich
The thing is, this wont be EvE i.e only one instance per area, EvE can hold thousands of player in the same area while SC can hold at max 100 players (and that is a optimistic number, personally i havent seen RSI mention over 50 players in the same instance) in the same area.

This will mean that if 90 test members are in the same instance, you leave room for 10 enemies to enter your instance/area. So basically you can setup shop anywhere and you wont be threathened wherever you choose to fly out from.

I think its wise that we are looking for a home allready in SC, but i think we will have to start think more about game mechanics aswell, if the game loads up a new instance of an area when it hits 100 players then theres going to be insane amount of copies of the same areas, and who can control a system then`? noone can.

How they are planning to setup a Persistant Universe with so many instanses/copies of the same area is a bit beyond me actually. Guild X claims control of Nyx System, Guild Y claims the same, they both have control of their instances, but the guilds cant see eachoter.

And the Idea of having a moving fleet as home base is a good one, alltough in order for that to work, then it has to be divided over several instances aswell.
I assume as people leave, instances will merge. For example let's say 100 Guild Y members, 100 Guild X members in Nyx. Some of them leave, now there's 30 Guild Y members and 70 Guild X members in Nyx. The instances merge.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
It is a well defended system/planet. (Minimal time and resources to protect/defend)
I'm not rooting for Terra Prime specifically, but this, I think, is very important. A home base in a heavily policed space means people will have a hard time invading us (if that's even a thing).
Some people would argue that we'd need a lawless environment for piracy and... well, lawlessness. But who wants to commit crimes right on their doorstep? We'll pirate other people's property.
Being close to an economic hub is also nice.

Reactions: Haggle

Daak Seed

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
daak-seed
I assume as people leave, instances will merge. For example let's say 100 Guild Y members, 100 Guild X members in Nyx. Some of them leave, now there's 30 Guild Y members and 70 Guild X members in Nyx. The instances merge.
Indeed, matter raised by Vimes about instancing will define the balance of game compared to EVE. "Control" of systems will depend on the time of day/ time zone along with other factors (as people login/logout throughout the day, certain orgs will start dominating systems/ instances). Besides, lots of people are casual players who won't be able to jump in on demand to improve balance of people in system/instance equation. IMHO Aurora Explorer made strong arguments about evolution of the game and initial "self-destruction" of hardcore orgs in strive for dominance.

My 0.05 UEC:

1) Get an idea of what members intend to do during the first few months
2) Draft few scenarios of how TEST will populate systems (different scenarios depending on projected evolution during first 2-3 months of PU)
3) After PU is live see what % of org will actually play and when - so scenarios will be adjusted accordingly.
4) Go and have a beer-fest so while we recover from the hangover, the most aggressive orgs / active have already died out (depleted their resources)
5) Simply push out others from the system(s) of interest by the mass of careless Aurora pilots.
6)... I am out of beer... will come back and finish this nonsense ... if I come back today

P.S. First post except introduction... don't through too many shoes at me!

Passed out...

Reactions: BeerMonster

BeerMonster

Commander
Dec 2, 2015
RSI Handle
BeerMonster
Some good points here about instancing and how it will limit the amount of players we can field in a given area at anyone time.

This is not only going to effect our home system, but our fleet operations aswell. Maybe in a few years when technology advances we might see epic 1000 ship battles, but I wouldn't expect it at launch.

I would personally like to live somewhere on the border of UEE space. That way we are not too far from the central trading hubs and still have the pvp lawless space on our doorstep.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
...A home base in a heavily policed space means people will have a hard time invading us (if that's even a thing).
Some people would argue that we'd need a lawless environment for piracy and... well, lawlessness...
The problem with policed space is that our outlaws won't be able to go there at all. We need a place that outlaws can travel to and 'good citizens' can get to relatively safely.

Reactions: BeerMonster

BeerMonster

Commander
Dec 2, 2015
RSI Handle
BeerMonster
The problem with policed space is that our outlaws won't be able to go there at all. We need a place that outlaws can travel to and 'good citizens' can get to relatively safely.
+1

Yes, living in high sec space will mean that our pirates and pvpers will have trouble meeting up with the rest of our organisation.

Plus in EVE online you could declare war on other corporations and attack them legitimately even in high sec. I'm not saying starcitizen will follow the same model, but it could?

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
You do have a point there. I guess we'll have to wait and see how police and area control are implemented and make a decision once we know more.

Reactions: rogesh

Sk1dmark

Space Marshal
Jan 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Sk1dmark
Seung says it's been tried in EVE Online, and has failed spectacularly there.

However, I have ideas on how to make a mobile fleet a workable concept. The biggest key is logistics.
I think it would too predictable. If you make a wrong turn and a system has a few exits you could be pinched off if other Orgs are smart enough or decide to work together. All i see is a constant fight every system.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark

Mirax Arneau

Commander
Donor
Dec 23, 2015
RSI Handle
Mirax-Arneau
Personally, I like the Idea of Nyx being a home base, although if we could find the "Northwest Passage" to Oretani, that would be both amazing, and probably highly defensible. Exploration wise though, assuming that it has the likely-hood of new jump points, if we had an outpost at Fora to start from it would likely be quite beneficial. Overall the Home Base being at Nyx looks best.

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake

A hole in theory is bengal. It aline can carry more than 50 ships and then there is the crew of 100+ for the bengal alone. The only way to really take down a bengal is with another large capital ship like a battleship or another bengal. So right there you easilly break 300 in a instance. Unless bengals are meant to be unchallenged and the rulibg authority of that instance and then people will simply park it in a profitible instance and mine/harvest in safety.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
A hole in theory is bengal. It aline can carry more than 50 ships and then there is the crew of 100+ for the bengal alone. The only way to really take down a bengal is with another large capital ship like a battleship or another bengal. So right there you easilly break 300 in a instance. Unless bengals are meant to be unchallenged and the rulibg authority of that instance and then people will simply park it in a profitible instance and mine/harvest in safety.
The Bengal has far more points of potential failure than one would expect, compared to a permament installation like Nyx. Consider that carefully.

Forgot your password?