Naming your digital children.

Will you name your ships?

• Yup. Sure will.

• Once my pregame fleet is set in stone.

• No names!

• What's in a name?

• I shall search for drunken inspiration!

Results are only viewable after voting.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
I was just talking to my Wife-To-Be about the original Power Rangers Zords so I looked them up on Wiki and there was a white one which was a Brontosaurus called "Titanus" which neither of us reacognised until we looked up a picture and were like "oooooh, yeah we remember that one".

But the thing is I mispronounced 'Titanus' as 'Tit Anus' so thats going to be the name of my first Capital Ship in the game. It'll be spelled "Titanus" but will be pronounced "Tit Anus".
You told me a while ago I couldn't sell my Endeavor because I had named it and I couldn't remember the actual name:
I think I'll call it... "Curie". In honor of both Marie Curie (the scientist) and Curie (the medical robot from Fallout 4). That seems appropriate.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
You told me a while ago I couldn't sell my Endeavor because I had named it and I couldn't remember the actual name:
Ah! Perfect! And how do you feel about the idea of selling the Endeavor now?

sum1

Space Marshal
Jun 26, 2015
RSI Handle
sum1
So I hold that small ships, id fighters, and single seater ships are not to be named, that is how star wars, Battlestar, and any sci-fi worth its salt does it, in a smaller ship like that you go by a callsign like Rogue Leader, Red-5, Starbuck, and so on. This callsign is tied to you, not your ship, so in FPS and my fighters, I will respond to my callsign.

As for ships that are of the freighter size or bigger:
Redeemer: Rocinante (The Expanse reference)
Freelancer MIS: Mythosaur (The Mandalorian Skull)
Constellation Andromeda: Lady Liberty (No explanation needed)
Hammerhead: The Thrawn (Named after one of my favorite Star Wars characters)
Carrack: The Sky (Because you can't take The Sky from me)
Polaris: The Revan (Named after another one of my favorite Star Wars characters and one of the best video game characters EVER)

EDIT: Most of my names change per year....

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
So I hold that small ships, id fighters, and single seater ships are not to be named, that is how star wars, Battlestar, and any sci-fi worth its salt does it, in a smaller ship like that you go by a callsign like Rogue Leader, Red-5, Starbuck, and so on. This callsign is tied to you, not your ship, so in FPS and my fighters, I will respond to my callsign.
I agree with this.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Once we are allowed to give our ships at least basic paint jobs, I'm thinking of naming my RSI Constellation Phoenix - F.L.A.G. Mobile Unit & its Kruger P-72 Archimedes K.I.T.T. after painting them both black. Those of you who remember the original Knight Rider series will get the references & reasoning.

However, instead of :
F.L.A.G. = Federation of Law & Government / K.I.T.T. = Knight Industries Two Thousand

This is TEST Squadron, so:
F.L.A.G. = Flying Luxury Alcohol Gratification / K.I.T.T. = Keep Including Topped Tumblers

Cheers all! :beers:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I was just talking to my Wife-To-Be about the original Power Rangers Zords so I looked them up on Wiki and there was a white one which was a Brontosaurus called "Titanus" which neither of us reacognised until we looked up a picture and were like "oooooh, yeah we remember that one".

But the thing is I mispronounced 'Titanus' as 'Tit Anus' so thats going to be the name of my first Capital Ship in the game. It'll be spelled "Titanus" but will be pronounced "Tit Anus".
No taint?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Yes, its me Necro-ing this thread again!

With a new ship comes a new name: I have CCU'd my way to an Endeavor which I intend to add the Hangar and Super-Collider over-clocking pods to in the fullness of time - basically turning it into a TEST Weapons Research Lab (or TWRL for short).

So its name? I could call it TWRL but I see that as being a collective group rather than any one ship or station, so... TESTs first official TWRL space-lab is to be called:

"Ambergris"

This is what I would have called my Starfarer if I had actually wanted one, and is a reference to whales. Whales are Backers who sink lots and lots of money into SC and have made it bigger and better and more impressive that it could have ever ever been. I'm not a whale but I think I owe them a nod.

Ambergris comes from the digestive tract of Sperm Whales, it's a goop that traps the indigestible beaks of the Squid they eat when the bodyparts scratch or irritate the gut walls. It is highly prized in perfumes and is believed to be an aphrodisiac after exposure to its scent gave lab rats a higher libido.

Sperm whales expel it in the traditional manner.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Haha, I myself was going to necro this thread. Then I remembered I have yet to think of names for my new fleet, haha
Great to hear you have a new fleet, I recall you had 'Pillar of the Community which was my favorite of yours - Do you still have the 'Pillar?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
The original 'Pillar of the Community is currently sitting in buyback. I'm waiting to see if they ever follow through on their promises to make her modular.

And yes, that was also my favorite name. I just don't know if that name will fit on a Hammerhead, haha.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The original 'Pillar of the Community is currently sitting in buyback. I'm waiting to see if they ever follow through on their promises to make her modular.

And yes, that was also my favorite name. I just don't know if that name will fit on a Hammerhead, haha.
Ahh, true that. I look forward to seeing the new names :)

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Forgot your password?